Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Electronic equipment
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  21:28:01  Show Profile Send wayne1956 a Private Message
Will yards take electronic equipment like copiers, cpu's, stereo equipment, etc?

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  18:52:02  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
I've never found anywhere that will pay you for it. I've found some places that will accept electronic equipment. Most places you have to pay to properly dispose of monitors or TV's.
Go to Top of Page

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  21:40:35  Show Profile Send wayne1956 a Private Message
I did not figure on messing with monitors or TV's, figured primarily CPU's, and larger copiers if I come by them.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  16:51:07  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Yard by me will take cpu's. I've seen all kinds of electronic stuff in the steel pile. But you are right on the TV's and monitors don't mess with them.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  18:53:29  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Monitors have a good bit of copper in them. They're one of my favorites for stripping. Where I live you can set them out with the trash as long as you don't go overboard. Same with TVs.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  10:15:08  Show Profile Send cpthnsolo a Private Message
Lately I've been finding a lot of monitors on the side of the road that have had their neck broken off so the yoke can be removed. There's quite a bit of copper in the typical yoke so they're worth saving however it should be noted that you need to be careful. CRT's are capacitors and can shock you with enough force to knock you off your feet. Always discharge them first before stripping them. You can do so with an HV probe but most people use a long screwdriver with an alligator clip attached to the screwdriver and the other end attached to the monitor frame. Youtube has videos showing you how to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  20:50:13  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
On most monitors you can loosen two clamps, and slide the yoke off with no problem. Also there is a wire that runs around the big end that is copper. Some of them are quite fat. I also pull the circuit board and nab any transformers and AL heat sinks. For time spent per copper recovery, it's hard to beat a Computer Monitor.

Go to Top of Page

bio_haz

1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  00:11:00  Show Profile Send bio_haz a Private Message
I have been scrapping a bunch of older printers lately, and they are not too hard to get apart, but don't have much but steel and some copper/wires in them. The great thing about them though is if you have a Staples or Office Depot they take the ink cartridges for $3 each in rewards, basically in store credit. Most older printers have 2, a black and color cartridge, but newer ones can have more or separate color tanks.
Staples lets you turn in 10 a month, we don't have an Office Depot, but it says they take up to 20 a month. Staples also takes toner cartridges from laser printers for $3 each.
I have also scraped computer cases and metal parts from power supply's and cd drives for scrap metal with no problems as long as you remove most of the plastic, but I don't know if that even matters much or not.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  19:04:00  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
My yard is pretty good about it as long as there are no circuit boards.

Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  10:53:42  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
I found a place close to me that will buy old computers by the pound. They pay $.15 or $.30 (sorry, can't remember) per pound for the whole computer or will pay more if you separate parts. I can't remember all the prices, but the ones that stick out are $9 a pound for memory and $3 a pound for motherboards and cards. They also buy hard drives, floppy drives, cd-rom drives, and power supplys. If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can find their whole price list.

Edited by - messymessy on 06/06/2010 10:55:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2