Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Canada to get rid of penny
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  06:35:44  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
If you go back and look at the article...look closer at the picture, see below... do you notice anything interesting?

Go to Top of Page

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  09:08:03  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Catcher

If you go back and look at the article...look closer at the picture, see below... do you notice anything interesting?

Well, there's a Lincoln in there for one thing.

Now selling Zinc pennies 1.0000 X FV :)
Go to Top of Page

Spikeanator6982
Penny Sorter Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  09:21:08  Show Profile Send Spikeanator6982 a Private Message
i count at least 6 Lincoln's in there..:) "edit- i now see 9 Lincolns"

I would love to see the end of the 1 dollar bill and moving to a $1 coin only. course no reason to not keep the already made bill in circulation until they wear.

Edited by - Spikeanator6982 on 06/17/2010 09:22:09
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  13:24:47  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by cesario
Would you want to lug around $30 in coins, or $30 in paper?

How often do you carry thirty $1 bills, or thirty quarters?

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

BCNumismatics
Penny Sorter Member

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  20:13:06  Show Profile Send BCNumismatics a Private Message
Both the Canadian & the American 1 Cent coins are exactly the same size.

Aidan.

Aidan Work.

My numismatic photos can be found here; http://www.coinforums.com/gallery/u6-bcnumismatics.html .

Please let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  22:10:58  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennySaved

quote:
Originally posted by Cerulean

I'm sure we the USA will follow Canada's lead in currency reform, just like how we followed their lead with the $1 coin, the $2 coin, the withdrawal of low value banknotes, and the usage of steel in coins.

But we haven't had the success with our $1 coin like the Canadians.

How long ago did Canada withdrawl the $1 bill?

Seems like the U.S. lags quite a bit behind Canada

In currency, yes the US lags behind Canada. The loonie was introduced in 1987 and the toonie replaced the popular $2 bill in 1996. The trick to these coins success was very simple - the government pulled all the $1 and $2 bills as the new coins rolled out. The US $1 coins will be widely accepted when the US pulls the dollar bill.

Also, US coins circulate freely in Canada at par. When the US dollar was higher it made sense to collect the US coins and spend them stateside.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

dexum

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  12:30:01  Show Profile Send dexum a Private Message
Here's an idea,

Not that I can see this happening, but let's return consumer goods to the point where you can purchase items for 1 cent. If we should follow the Canadians in this course then we have enabled retailers to just charge a slightly higher price. Rounding up may mean from .76 to $1 depending on the criteria used. Heck, lets make 'em work for getting rid of our coinage - Keep Our Penny(KOP).

Of course, we could tear down the Statue of Liberty - do we really need it, I mean after all it does cost quite a bit to maintain..............

CoinMedic
Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  14:49:52  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dexum

Here's an idea,

Not that I can see this happening, but let's return consumer goods to the point where you can purchase items for 1 cent. If we should follow the Canadians in this course then we have enabled retailers to just charge a slightly higher price. Rounding up may mean from .76 to $1 depending on the criteria used. Heck, lets make 'em work for getting rid of our coinage - Keep Our Penny(KOP).

Of course, we could tear down the Statue of Liberty - do we really need it, I mean after all it does cost quite a bit to maintain..............

Your right.Dare us not tackle the issues that create the mess.
Just be creative and cloak the real problem.
Its happening all the time right before our eyes.
Its making me sick thinking about it.
Quick fixes rarely work long term.
Go to Top of Page

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  01:23:43  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
Back to the discussion of the cost to make a cent, and how it is a multiple-use item, the same can be said of all coins then. But 1 thing to consider about the cent: simple physics/chemistry - the Zincs corrode & are destroyed much easier & won't be used a much or as long as the nickel-copper higher denominations, so it is definitely a lower-use coin than any other, and therefore not as cost-beneficial as other coins.

Similar to the hammer analogy, how many nails (cents) do you see discarded or lying around versus how many hammers (quarters, for example)? Cost-basis matters!

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester
Go to Top of Page

Spikeanator6982
Penny Sorter Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  01:48:56  Show Profile Send Spikeanator6982 a Private Message
I agree with you that zincs dont last well. But if the government cared they would have kept using copper cents. They also wouldn't be most likely working on making the larger denominations out of steel, rust o city.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2