Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Pictures Added "Encased Pennies?" Any Interest?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  18:56:36  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
I have a collection of one hundred "all round" encased pennies I am thinking about selling...

There all sorts of different pennies included. Some are stamped i.e. a state, the Liberty Bell, etc. also some are replica key date pennies, lots of old and newer wheat pennies, also some regular copper.

In addition to the 100 pennies there I have 6 other Indian Head pennies too I would include.

I'm thinking about putting this up in the member auction section but I have no idea what something like this is worth.

Can anyone give me a ball park of what they think a starting bid should be?

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  06:45:39  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
I guess there is no interest or no one knows much about them?
Go to Top of Page

dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

130 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  06:49:24  Show Profile Send dp2007 a Private Message
I wouldn't begin to know what they might be worth. Have a contest and use them as a prize. :)
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  08:33:15  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
maybe some are unsure by what you are calling "all round" encased pennies reads like some are counterstamped i am sure there is interest in those as some on here collect them. A bit more descriptive may help.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:47:27  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
The following are pictures that should help:

Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:13:26  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
Well, many of the coins look nice there! That's something.

What is the "case" made out of? Steel or something?

I'd be interested in these for slightly more than I'd pay for the coins themselves, so PM me if you want a quite deal.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:18:36  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
The case is aluminum and the coins are pressed and locked in.

If you go on eBay and type in encased coin you will see what some are listed at.
Go to Top of Page

NiBullionCu
Penny Pincher Member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:21:23  Show Profile Send NiBullionCu a Private Message
is that 1877 Indian head legit???

In that condition, not compressed into a "lucky charm", would be worth $2,500.00++

if genuine, would still be worth probably $1,000 or so as-is.

You chose to show that one, so I assume you know it's value already, or is this a joke???

edited because I can't read.

OP mentioned some were replicas of key dates.

Had my blood pumping though...

If these were period good luck pieces they would be worth more, as modern examples they have nominal value.

Edited by - NiBullionCu on 04/09/2010 12:16:14
Go to Top of Page

penny bubba
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  11:05:09  Show Profile Send penny bubba a Private Message
I would give 50 cents each I think that would be a good starting point
Go to Top of Page

styropyro
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  11:27:40  Show Profile Send styropyro a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NiBullionCu

is that 1877 Indian head legit???

In that condition, not compressed into a "lucky charm", would be worth $2,500.00++

if genuine, would still be worth probably $1,000 or so as-is.

You chose to show that one, so I assume you know it's value already, or is this a joke???

I'm pretty sure it's a replica, in the first post he says that there are some replica key dates so I'm guessing this is one of them.
Go to Top of Page

copper cane
Penny Sorter Member

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  16:54:26  Show Profile Send copper cane a Private Message
Those encased coins sound like an early xmas surprise for my "little ones". That is something I've never given them. I'll make a $75 offer even without red bows!lol
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  18:07:28  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Yes... the 1877 is a replica. I thought that might get someone’s attention! :-)

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

At this point however seeing some of these selling on eBay for several dollars each I would be hard pressed to let them go for .75 each. I would be better off to lose them in a closet or drawer and let them be found ten years from now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2