Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 How do you store your hoard?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

steeda

9 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  10:24:30  Show Profile Send steeda a Private Message
Hi everyone,

Like most on here, I have been lurking around and reading what everyone has to say, as I only have a couple of posts to my name. I did have a question that I couldn't seem to find, and I think the search is broken to some extent.

How do you all store your copper hoard? I believe one guy kept them in 5 gallon plastic buckets, maybe some of you re-roll the copper pennies and keep them in boxes?

Thanks in advance!

george454
Penny Pincher Member

242 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  11:07:39  Show Profile Send george454 a Private Message
I roll and keep in extra $25 boxes you get from the bank, thats me though. I think it really depends on the amount you got or amount you are sorting. I am a hand sorter and never sort more than $100 a week so keeping track and re-rolling is very simple. The guys with machines can sort a whole lot more than that so re-rolling is not very feasible for them. Just find what you like to do, there is really no wrong way.
Go to Top of Page

Be Nice to BankTellers
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  11:30:12  Show Profile Send Be Nice to BankTellers a Private Message
I started out like Geoerge, now I use plastic Folger's coffee cans. I also keep my kitty litter containers for a variety of storage uses, so someday I will upgrade to using those. Since I am also a hand-sorter, I am still some time away from that stage.

Grandpa always told me, "Back in 1964..." I listened.

Selling copper cents @ $2.50/lb. + shipping.
Go to Top of Page

nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

35 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  11:43:41  Show Profile Send nokozan a Private Message
I hand sort from my till at work so i do not get a lot but i re roll mine and store them in $25 boxes that they come in. They let me take home the empty box. i store the loose coins and rolls into a plastic shoe box until i have enough rolls to fill a new box. i am at $50+ now and 0 bank visits. register sorting does work not to mention the amount of silver dimes, quarters, nickles i get.
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  11:53:45  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
roll em up....I don't roll em because I do not have an automatic roller....box em in the boxes that you may get from the bank....use kitty litter pails...use buckets...coffee cans will work not very big though...boxes can hold 17 lbs and 5 gallon buckets can hold 200 lbs so how often do you want to move your hoard....my barrel o pennies is over a thousand lbs no more moving it just guessing on the weight because I cannot move it anymore
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  12:02:50  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I keep mine in canvas bags 50 dollars per bag.
Go to Top of Page

harley1
Penny Pincher Member

140 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  12:10:20  Show Profile Send harley1 a Private Message
i put 25# into a double zipper one gallon ziploc freezer bag and force as much air out as possible,then put it inside another.i then seal the outer ziploc zipper with duct tape.they stack nice against a wall.this has worked great for my 43 bags and growing hoard.plus it looks pretty cool.

Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

steeda

9 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  12:59:31  Show Profile Send steeda a Private Message
I appreciate all the replies that I have gotten so far.

There are some very unique ideas floating around in this thread. I would have never guessed to use kitty litter pails, but then again, I don't own any cats. Personally, I have just been hand rolling and throwing the rolls into a box - my only box, with about $12.50 in fv copper .

Thanks again for responding!
Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  14:52:08  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
Personally I currently rewrap the coppers from the paper rolls I get with picking up CWR. Once I get 50 rolls stacked up I then put them into a used 25.00 box a tape it very well. I then I keep staking them, the boxes stack very well and are currently growing tall in the closet :). This works great for small/medium quantity but I imagine if I ramped up production I would use a counter and put them in kitty litter buckets.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Penny Pincher Member

156 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  05:18:52  Show Profile Send Dave a Private Message
I put $10 worth in these plastic bags I found. There are very strong and seal nicely. If I had to do it over, I would have re-rolled them, but it's to late now.
Go to Top of Page

twentybux
Penny Pincher Member

174 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  22:22:46  Show Profile Send twentybux a Private Message
I keep mine in coffee cans. Every time I finish off another can I begin to earnestly fill it up with coppers!
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  22:58:13  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by twentybux

I keep mine in coffee cans. Every time I finish off another can I begin to earnestly fill it up with coppers!

Ditto! Same process here.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

IdahoCopper
Penny Pincher Member

125 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  07:01:58  Show Profile Send IdahoCopper a Private Message
I put 500 coins in a zipper sandwich bag, then put 5 bags in a $25 penny box. I tape it closed and put a label on it that shows its copper.

See - http://IdahoCopper.com

and:
http://beefjerky.com
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  12:00:38  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
When I open the BWR, I keep them intact and reroll coppers by hand into the rolls. I got a bunch of wooden boxes meant for test tubes that my work was throwing out and I stack them in there. Each box holds $50 face, but now I am out of boxes! Need to find a few method soon.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  12:22:57  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
I re-roll the coppers by hand into fresh paper rolls and put them in a $25 penny box. I tape the $25 box with 3 long strips of tape; one strip around both the left and right side and one strip across the length and back of the box. That gives the box support, but still let's the coins breathe. At this time, I'm just hand sorting a few boxes a week using my ACE Ryedale. I take the $25 penny boxes and put them in Kitty Litter plastic buckets. I've got plenty of empty buckets since I've got 12 cats that need their litter. I can get 6 or 7 boxes in each bucket (7 String Boxes or 6 Brink's Boxes). That way they are protected from insects, mice, squirrels, and other critters that wander nearby.

I'm pulling out a pile of old coppers from the eaves in my house and re-storing them in $25 boxes placing these in empty kitty litter buckets. They were in ordinary cardboard boxes for 30 years. Some rolls on top were mousey chews; some $50 US Mint canvas bags were chewed too. One US Mint BU canvas bag from 1979 was partially chewed on top - the coppers inside looked nice and shiny after 3 decades. Silverfish will eat the gum on the paper rolls over time too. I had to re-wrap some of these old coppers - some were old BU rolls from 1979, 1980, and 1981. Most of the rolls were OK.

So, if you are planning on keeping your coppers for a long time, my advice would be to store them well, out of harms way from the insects and chewing critters.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by - Country on 04/10/2010 12:31:16
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  14:48:49  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I keep mine in plastic jerricans I get from work. I can get damaged ones (read as they won't hold liquid) from work. Not positive of the size, but they hold right at 50 lbs each of copper. They're also stack-able which makes storing easier.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:34:30  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I use a multitude of storing methods. I use the US mint bags.. 1 ton in each bag.. and the regular $50 bags.. I machine roll the coppers and refill the penny boxes.. and of course lots and lots of kitty litter pails. You don't even have to have cats to get those pails.. friends and relatives with cats are happy to see those pails recycled.. you only have to ask.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  18:05:59  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
I always envisioned your hoard to resemble the warehouse where the arc was stored at the end of Indiana Jones.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  20:42:54  Show Profile Send totalcount a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I use a multitude of storing methods. I use the US mint bags.. 1 ton in each bag..

Where do you get mint bags that can hold a ton?
Go to Top of Page

maoguinn
Penny Pincher Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  21:10:46  Show Profile Send maoguinn a Private Message
I store my coppers in prego spaghetti sauce jars. These jars hold exactly $10.00, and then I label them copper cents.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  22:19:07  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Country

I re-roll the coppers by hand into fresh paper rolls and put them in a $25 penny box. I tape the $25 box with 3 long strips of tape; one strip around both the left and right side and one strip across the length and back of the box. That gives the box support, but still let's the coins breathe. At this time, I'm just hand sorting a few boxes a week using my ACE Ryedale. I take the $25 penny boxes and put them in Kitty Litter plastic buckets. I've got plenty of empty buckets since I've got 12 cats that need their litter. I can get 6 or 7 boxes in each bucket (7 String Boxes or 6 Brink's Boxes). That way they are protected from insects, mice, squirrels, and other critters that wander nearby.

I'm pulling out a pile of old coppers from the eaves in my house and re-storing them in $25 boxes placing these in empty kitty litter buckets. They were in ordinary cardboard boxes for 30 years. Some rolls on top were mousey chews; some $50 US Mint canvas bags were chewed too. One US Mint BU canvas bag from 1979 was partially chewed on top - the coppers inside looked nice and shiny after 3 decades. Silverfish will eat the gum on the paper rolls over time too. I had to re-wrap some of these old coppers - some were old BU rolls from 1979, 1980, and 1981. Most of the rolls were OK.

So, if you are planning on keeping your coppers for a long time, my advice would be to store them well, out of harms way from the insects and chewing critters.

12 cats? Did you do that on purpose?

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  22:32:32  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I'll bet it's fun to run the electric can opener at your house.

Go to Top of Page

coppernickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  12:46:56  Show Profile Send coppernickel a Private Message
I keep them in the $25 boxes and then put these in 5 gallon paint drums. I don't have a lot of room in the horse, but I do have a big yard. These 5 gallon paint drums go in a pile in the yard sealed. They look like I have finished several paint projects and haven't got rid of the buckets. If anyone picked one up they would be very heavy. If they opened it they would find it is stored very nicely in easily carried containers.

The theary is junk in the yard with dogs running loose, who would think it is real money, just laying around.

Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  02:18:17  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by totalcount

quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I use a multitude of storing methods. I use the US mint bags.. 1 ton in each bag..

Where do you get mint bags that can hold a ton?

That is what they ship the coins out in originally. When they ship a bag of new zincers it has 400,000 coins in it. I only put 300,000 coppers in each bag. I get the bags from a friend at a coin processing company.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

JustSayNoToFiat
Penny Pincher Member

110 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  21:29:38  Show Profile Send JustSayNoToFiat a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by coppernickel

I don't have a lot of room in the horse, but I do have a big yard.

My horse doesn't like me storing any copper in or on him.

I use the square half boxes and 50 cal ammo cans, but I don't have a monstrous horde.

It's Half Time...all the time.
Go to Top of Page

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  09:58:57  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
Is it recommended that coppers be stored as airtight as possible (like in a ziploc bag)? Or is it ok to put them where exposed to a little air, like in a coffee can or paint bucket? Does it matter in terms of what the coppers would look like in 10 years?

Now selling Zinc pennies 1.0000 X FV :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2