Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Moving the Hoard
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  22:48:49  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
I am moving sometime this summer to Texas from Illinois. I will only be taking what fits in my crappy minivan. Which means my copper hoard is in limbo. I am a small time sorter, $100-$200 face weekly by hand, but it does add up fast.

So what would you do with your hoard if you had to move?

I can either liquidate it before I leave or attempt to store/move it which is probably uneconomical.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.

styropyro
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  23:06:05  Show Profile Send styropyro a Private Message
I hear you can ship nearly $100 face in a flat rate box, so you might be able to ship them to your new location right before you move without spending too much. How big is your hoard?
Go to Top of Page

TheSilverTiger
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  07:54:56  Show Profile Send TheSilverTiger a Private Message
Depending on the size of the hoard, I would be willing to bet you will be able to fit a good bit in voids and spaces in that minivan if you use ziploc bags. They are very flexible when not filled completely up. The remainder can be handled in the manner suggested by styropyro.
Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  08:13:20  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
Depending on your hoard size, check out getting a uhall trailer. If you have $1,500 face value or more that is likely to be cheaper than mailing it.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:01:37  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
sell it where you are and repurchase it where you are moving, try to strike a deal with a seller in the new area before you commit to selling your own

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:56:48  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
There are a few members in IL so I personally would try to liquidate it and than hit the sorting hard when you get to your new location.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com

Edited by - highroller4321 on 04/07/2010 10:06:26
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  19:04:31  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
If it was me I wouldn't liquidate unless I needed the money. After a big move you won't have much time to build your hoard back up for a while, plus you don't know for sure if you have as many banks that wil cooperate with you. That's just what I would do.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

twocents
Penny Collector Member

398 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  20:44:41  Show Profile Send twocents a Private Message
Trade your hoard for silver. Then you can travel with a shoebox full of metal.

Just my two cents!
Go to Top of Page

MichaelOnion
Penny Pincher Member

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  23:11:18  Show Profile Send MichaelOnion a Private Message
Uhaul is a good idea if you are moving in the city or to the next city and will be returning the truck or trailer back to the station. For a one way move getting anything uhaul is pretty expensive. Plus you are 100% reliable for the trailer unless you get their insurance. Unless your hoard is in the 100s of lbs I would use the flat rate medium boxes from usps (let them do all the heavy lifting ).
It might be slightly more expensive but at least you don't have to start from scratch all over again. It all comes down to what is worth more to you, your time or your money...

___
-M
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  23:13:18  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
Thanks guys. I own so little being the hermit I am that I can move my whole world in my van. I could fit my pennies, but I was mostly worried about the excessive wait on my crapmobile. I got a month or two to think on it I guess.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

chris6084
Penny Collector Member

303 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  23:55:41  Show Profile Send chris6084 a Private Message
What city in TX are you moving to?
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  08:36:58  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
I run an 18 wheeler to Chicago about every six weeks from Houston....next trip is in May....with planning maybe your hoard could get a ride back.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  13:24:05  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Seriously? Just sell it. Even if you are a small time hoarder. The money you make will pay for some of the travel costs. You'll find copper cents in the new city. I would only hold coins for numis value and PM's, copper bullion would be sold at all costs over taking it will me.

I do realize it can be a serious drag to start up copper hunting in a new place with new banks. And you don't have a Ryedale to jump start your hoard back into the $1000 range after 1 week of sorting. So this certainly biases my opinions.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  13:37:31  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Think this one through. How much would you spend renting a U-Haul or mailing them? All the costs, tape, gas, time. Add that to your acquisition costs... Even if you dump them at face, and just start over at your new destination you would be better off.

How much do you have? I bet you could safely get a lot of them in your vehicle. Dump or sell the rest. Any family in IL you could leave them with for the time being?

Go to Top of Page

JJM
Penny Sorter Member

71 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  16:54:19  Show Profile Send JJM a Private Message
If it were me, I'd take it with me.
Go to Top of Page

EZ_Money
Penny Pincher Member

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  19:53:52  Show Profile Send EZ_Money a Private Message
List it on here and see what you can sell it for. I would re-invest in silver and start hoarding again after you finish moving. Whatever doesn't sell just take it with you.

Running total:
Halves searched:$14,445.50
90% found: 122
40% found: 481

Dimes Searched $2100
Found: 5
Go to Top of Page

dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

130 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  08:00:22  Show Profile Send dp2007 a Private Message
The offer for the 18 wheeler sounds good. If I moved I'd sell mine.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  21:53:33  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I have moved my hoard a couple times. But I'm always getting a 17 ft moving truck to move the whole household, so it hasn't seemed to make any extra trouble...but it gets me tired (extra tired) when the weight is added to everything else I have to load and unload.

In your situation I would plan to keep at least 200 lbs of copper if you think you can put that much evenly around in the van and still be okay. But in the least keep 50 lbs. That CAN"T make or break a loaded van.....unless you are REALLY loading it down already.

I would bet you have a member on here within 50 miles that would be willing to make the drive to get these cents at 10% over face value. If you have at least 150lbs I think it would be a for sure certainty. at 150 lbs, you'd pocket an extra $22. THey would get the cents at $50 less than anyone else would sell them for, and it couldn't cost them more than $15 in gas. Plus 'roadtrip' AND 'meet and greet' with another realcent member.

I just wouldn't DUMP them back at the bank. That would mean your added time and energy just to get back face value! No way!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  22:10:13  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
Yeah, I sure wont dump them at the bank. I am not even sure the date I am moving yet, so I got some wiggle room. I have mostly been picking up random boxes as my free time appeared, but just this past two weeks or so both my source banks said I had to make orders or I couldn't get anymore. So my sorting will be increasing past what I had anticipated in the coming weeks since now I have solid orders.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2