Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 first post and first penny brick purchase
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  22:36:12  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
Hi all:

Greetings to all. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and this is my first post. I considered myself kind of a freak even having silver bags (none of my collegues or personal friends do this), but now that I'm trying to get copper pennies in bulk, well...you get the idea. Nice to find some like minded people to chat with.

Although I've been hoarding pocking change for years, last week was my first ever $25 penny brick purchase (and also a $100 nickel box) from a bank! I was heading back to work from lunch with a friend and thought "heck, I've gotta try this" and pulled into Bank Of America. Walked in and a very polite lady asked if she could help me. I was nervous for some reason, almost like I was trying to pull off some kind of stunt. How ridiculous. Anyway, I told her I wanted to get some coin boxes, and she pointed me to the merchant's desk. The lady there was also very polite and brought over the 2 boxes immediately. I was getting ready to go and the manager who greeted me at the door - who had walked over - asked "are you a local merchant in town?" I thought Oh No, I'm busted - they only do this for merchant customers. When I answered "No, just a regular guy who likes coins", she smiled and said "You're not the only one that comes here for that. Have a great day."

Woo-hoo! When I put the boxes in the car and drove away, I was elated. In fact, and this is the embarassing part, I stopped at another branch on the same trip 10 minutes later and got more boxes! No issue there either.

Here's a rundown of my first penny box, which of course I promptly sorted by hand immediately upon getting home:

- Roughly 20% coppers (a guess based on how high the coppers and zincs piled in the two small buckets). Seems to be a commonly reported average by others.
- 5 wheats
- 3 canadians
- zero indians (no real surprise there)
- surprisingly few 2009 pennies (with the 4 different lincoln designs - perhaps people are keeping those?)

If you got this far, thanks for reading my boring account. Thing is, I think I'm hooked. I don't want to overdo it at these two branches since they were so kind to me, so I'll probably visit in 2 or 3 weeks and try to acquire a little more. I'd stop in tomorrow and buy $1000 worth if I had more guts like some of you on this forum!

Cheers, and I look forward to chatting with you all.

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  22:56:32  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
welcome newbie Since you're getting addicted, make sure your supply is large enough to keep you occupied as you hand sort. There's nothing worse than being in the mood to sort, and having no boxes to go through. Pace yourself until you determine your goals.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  23:00:31  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Welcome to the forum gollum40! This is how it starts.. lol. From the copper percentage I would guess you are probably in CA.. north or south? Hope you don't get any of my dumps.

Nothing to be embarrassed about hitting multiple branches. This is how many of us do it. We call it doing "drive-bys." You generally have to preorder to get large amounts of boxes.

Of course when you get the guts for that (and I predict it will happen) you have to have a zinc disposal plan in place.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  23:04:49  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
Beau is spot on. I had 3 boxes for the weekend and still been jonesing for an open bank on Sunday, just wasn't enough, especially with my huge spike in wheats recently.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  23:05:23  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beauanderos

welcome newbie Since you're getting addicted, make sure your supply is large enough to keep you occupied as you hand sort. There's nothing worse than being in the mood to sort, and having no boxes to go through. Pace yourself until you determine your goals.

Yes, always a good idea to keep a couple of stacks of boxes on hand so you don't run out when you are in the mood to sort.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  23:19:27  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
A single box was how I got started as well.

You are indeed among friends, Welcome!

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  23:38:27  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
Welcome, if you want to sort boxes on a regular basis just ask if they will order 4 or 6 boxes each week for you. Make sure you always pick up your order each week. And NEVER dump your zincers at the same bank where you pickup your pennies. If you don't get through all the boxes each week you can stockpile some boxes for a week when you have extra time to sort. And if your stockpile gets too big just tell them not to order for you for a week or two.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  23:51:46  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Better if you just continue to stockpile. You'll sort them eventually. You want to get a routine of regular deliveries going. If you start and stop it increases the chances that they will miss some of your orders or not restart you. If you end up with too many boxes stockpiled, I would be happy to help you out and take them off your hands.

Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  00:48:40  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
Welcome to the forum!

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

twentybux
Penny Pincher Member

174 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  07:32:47  Show Profile Send twentybux a Private Message
Welcome to the forum! Yes, indeed it is an addiction. Hi. My name is Twentybux and I am a hoarder. In the background the group chants back, "Hi Twentybux." Like all addictions, it is hard to control once you get the bug but boy it sure is fun! Enjoy! You will find volumes of information here with these guys and gals.
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  08:11:53  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Also welcome and keep looking and someday you will find you first Indian.
Go to Top of Page

NoCents
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  09:46:41  Show Profile Send NoCents a Private Message
Hoard need to get rid of that silly motor scooter, it's blocking mucho needed space for more boxes.

What's in it for the dude?
Go to Top of Page

Be Nice to BankTellers
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  12:59:54  Show Profile Send Be Nice to BankTellers a Private Message
Don't forget to ask around for penny wars at the schools! It is an easy way to pick up $1000 and you do not need to feel awkward - it is less work for everyone involved!

Grandpa always told me, "Back in 1964..." I listened.

Selling copper cents @ $2.50/lb. + shipping.
Go to Top of Page

nologiks
Penny Sorter Member

83 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  19:47:34  Show Profile Send nologiks a Private Message
gosh dang hoard! lol almost 3300 dollars in pennies unsorted haha.
Hoard when you go to the bank how many boxes do you usually order per bank?
Go to Top of Page

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  00:38:33  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
Thanks everyone. Lots of questions, but will post those on the appropriate threads. In the meantime, I'm staring at HoardCopperByTheTon's pictures in awe. These pics are helping me to formulate my own long term goals this very minute. Has there been a thread where people have posted pics of their hoards?

Now selling Zinc pennies 1.0000 X FV :)
Go to Top of Page

nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

35 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  00:42:31  Show Profile Send nokozan a Private Message
more shock and awe pictures You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  08:24:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
gollum.. that's not the hoard.. that's just incoming.

nologiks.. better recount.. it's a lot more than that. My standard order at each bank is 24 boxes.

Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  22:59:44  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
I cannot even comprehend dumping all that zinc. Is it all done through prearrangements at banks you work with, HCBT, or do you have to get creative? Im already worrying about the 200 or so in zinc im sitting on, but tacking a couple of zeros on that number?

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  23:08:34  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
One has to be creative. Experience will guide you as to what level you can safely dump zincs at each location. Zinc disposal is certainly one of the most challenging aspects of this hobby. Too much action at any one place and they will cut you off.

Having automatic rolling machines helps.. since many of my dump banks never seem to have enough pennies to satisfy their merchants. They really like my machine rolled boxes. But even there you have to feather it in.. most of them do not have sufficient vault space for a real load of boxes. I also regularly take in 4 bags of precounted to one of my dump banks at lunch time. I even spent several hours feeding the free CoinStar at my CU yesterday. Gotta spread the action around.

"My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.

Go to Top of Page

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  00:29:31  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
...Gulp...

That's fantastic! I didn't realize how experienced some of you are with this. My goal is to get a total hoard in the next few months that looks like your 'incoming' pile :-) Gotta start somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

gollum.. that's not the hoard.. that's just incoming.

nologiks.. better recount.. it's a lot more than that. My standard order at each bank is 24 boxes.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  00:44:44  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Tons and Tons of experience on this forum.. lol.

Considering your copper percentage.. that is an extremely lofty goal.

I could ship you that many.. you just have to write the check.

Go to Top of Page

CrazyTom
Penny Sorter Member

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  11:07:18  Show Profile Send CrazyTom a Private Message
A teller at Wells Fargo told me he loves it when I take away CWRs. The only other way he has to get rid of them is to break every roll and dump them in a bag for his collecting agent.

He offers me more than I have cash for!

Read Atlas Shrugged if you want to know why this country is in the crapper.
Go to Top of Page

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  18:47:06  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyTom

A teller at Wells Fargo told me he loves it when I take away CWRs. The only other way he has to get rid of them is to break every roll and dump them in a bag for his collecting agent.

He offers me more than I have cash for!

Get ready to laugh at me, the newbie. What's a CWR?

Go to Top of Page

CoastalEdge

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  19:15:49  Show Profile Send CoastalEdge a Private Message
Hello. I didnt know what CWR was until I joined here.

It means "Customer Wrapped Rolls", instead of rolls that are pre-rolled by the Armored Car service or provider.

I tend to find CWR sometimes have a higher content of copper. Especially if a person who saved a bunch of cents from many years then now decided to "cash them in"...these rolls also tend to yield higher percenatge of wheaties sometimes too.

Hope this info helps.
Go to Top of Page

CoastalEdge

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  20:22:17  Show Profile Send CoastalEdge a Private Message

It means "Customer Wrapped Rolls", instead of rolls that are pre-rolled by the Armored Car service or provider.

I tend to find CWR sometimes have a higher content of copper. Especially if a person who saved a bunch of cents from many years then now decided to "cash them in"...these rolls also tend to yield higher percenatge of wheaties sometimes too.

Hope this info helps.
Go to Top of Page

gollum40
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  20:48:56  Show Profile Send gollum40 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CoastalEdge

Hope this info helps.

It sure does help. Thanks CoastalEdge!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2