Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Copper pennies
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  14:24:28  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
Hi guys!!!!..I am new in here and I am a fugitive from precious metal recovering world.Recently I knew that a 1 US cent(before 1982)had a value of 2.2 cents.

Great heavens!!!!...this is a great business but I know that pennies can not be export,melt or chemical treat in US.Here in Mexico it is legal to melt them (it is ilegal to melt mexican coins).

My question are:

Do you collect copper pennies in USA?

Can you change a 100 dollar bill to pennies in a bank?

I got 49 copper pennies from 500 pennies here in Mexico,How many copper pennies do you get in USA from 5 dollars?

Thanks to all of you for your replies

Have a nice day

Manuel

"Precious metal recovering gives me money,women take it away from me"

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  14:57:18  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Welcome Juan... are you saying that in Mexican change you found 49 pre-1982 United States pennies? Does that much of our coinage circulate down there? Where are you? Tijuana?

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  20:41:00  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
LOL!!!!!!...I did not explain myself..I live in an old mining town called Pachuca,85 km from Mexico City,the country capital.I got 5 USD in pennies from my daughter´s and friends´ collections.

US coins are not accepted in Mexico,mexican banks do not want to exchange american coins because it represents a big cost for them to transport those coins to USA.Some people offer you to exchange your american coins to pesos (or dollars) but you have to pay a fee,almost 30%.

Kindest regards

Manuel

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  20:44:49  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Kind of like forex meets coinstar.

Welcome to the forum Juan.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:00:31  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Juan,

Welcome again. Do you have access to the bronze old pesos (centavos)?

You might have another gold mine.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:07:26  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Back To your question.

We get about 20% copper cents from circulation.

We should trade, send the cenatavos to us we send the cents to you.

Melt and prosper.

Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:13:46  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

LOL!!!!!!...I did not explain myself..I live in an old mining town called Pachuca,85 km from Mexico City,the country capital.I got 5 USD in pennies from my daughter´s and friends´ collections.

US coins are not accepted in Mexico,mexican banks do not want to exchange american coins because it represents a big cost for them to transport those coins to USA.Some people offer you to exchange your american coins to pesos (or dollars) but you have to pay a fee,almost 30%.

Kindest regards

Manuel

Manuel,

Welcome to the forum. To answer your first question; percentages of copper seem to vary in different parts of the U.S. but the overall average appears to be from 20% to 25% copper.

Also as Thogey mentioned you should also identify which Mexican coins have a high metal value to face value ratio.

Hasta luego,

Theo
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:19:42  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
The "old pesos' are basically worthless in trade. Juan might be able to get them really cheap.

Their only value, with exceptions, would be the metal.

Go to Top of Page

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:29:05  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
LOL!!!!!....mexican copper coins are gone....many years ago.Now we just have stainless steel,bronze and aluminium coins...this is the rason why I am looking for pennies.

How do you get your copper pennies?

Thanks,Theo

Best regards

Manuel

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  21:46:32  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
There are copper cent still in circulation here.

We take our paper money to the bank.

We buy pennies.

We pick the 1981 and earlier dates out.
The pennies remaining are copper plated zinc. They go back to the bank to buy more pennies.

Are all those 'old peso' bronze coins really gone. Did not some Mexicans keep (hoard) them?

Edited by - thogey on 03/28/2010 21:47:41
Go to Top of Page

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  22:04:50  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
All those "bronze pesos" are gone...
Well,you have coppper pennies but you can not melt them because it is ilegal..What do you do with them?

Edited by - Juan Manuel Arcos Frank on 03/28/2010 22:06:46
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  22:11:13  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:

All those "bronze pesos" are gone...
Well,you have coppper pennies but you can not melt them because it is ilegal..What do you do with them?

We store them and wait.

Or maybe sell them to Mexicans who can melt them.

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  22:15:31  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
This thread is a great guide for us.

Read what Juan is saying. The same thing will happen here.

The money gets devalued, the copper money disappears.

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  22:33:04  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I'm curious Juan.

How long after the old Peso was demonitized, did it take for the old Peso bronze to disappear?

Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  08:15:11  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Juan
Welcome to the fourm. Copper cent are just waiting to be pick-up in the US. We just go to the bank and get them 20 to 30 % of the pennies are copper. Keep looking.
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  10:54:16  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
Welcome Juan:

Pachuca? . . . Hummmm, Wouldn't have any relationship to the "El Pachuco" trend & the Zoot Suits, we had back in the 1930's thru '50. in the southwest States would it?

Sometimes I find it difficult to stay on thread.

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson

Edited by - johnbrickner on 03/29/2010 10:56:24
Go to Top of Page

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  11:12:39  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
Thogey:

The last copper coins minted in Mexico were in 1974,after this date all coins were nickel/copper alloy until 1983 when coins became onto stainlees stell alloy with aluminium.Silver mexican coins were minted in 1993,the famous "Moneda de diez nuevos pesos"(ten new pesos coin),in 2002 when silver prices rose to the moon this coin beated its own face value and a race versus time started:Bank of Mexico fought to withdraw these coins from circulation,mexican people fought to melt these coins and the winner was....mexican people!!!!!!!This fact created great fortunes,today there is no one ten new pesos coin on circulation.

Let us talk about banks...Do they ask you why do you want to exchange 1000 USD to pennies?..Must you have an account with a bank to ask for exchange dollars to pennies?.

How about the nickel coin?..this coin is 11% over its face value...there are millions of nickel coins,practically you do not have to select them...ALL are 11% over its face value.

Guys,to increase an investment of 1000 USD to 2000 USD in my precious metal world you have to work hard,handling dangerous substances and it takes some time to do it.If you can get 1000 USD in copper pennies...you double your investment!!!!!!.

All coments are welcomed.

Have a nice day.

Manuel

Go to Top of Page

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  11:16:47  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
JohnBrickner:

Yeah!!!!!!...but it was many years ago....Pachuco,like mexican copper coins,has gone.

Behave yourself.

Manuel

Go to Top of Page

Be Nice to BankTellers
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  12:44:21  Show Profile Send Be Nice to BankTellers a Private Message
Juan,

The market price of copper pennies is not equal to the metal price. In reality, a person can sell copper pennies for about 1.4 times face value (1.4x FV). Some people can get more, but 1.4 times face is the real price.

Nickels do not sell above face value, as they are available at banks in virtually unlimited quanitites for the asking.

Grandpa always told me, "Back in 1964..." I listened.

Selling copper cents @ $2.50/lb. + shipping.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  17:47:55  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:

Let us talk about banks...Do they ask you why do you want to exchange 1000 USD to pennies?..Must you have an account with a bank to ask for exchange dollars to pennies?.

Some our larger sorters are able to get banks to pre-order hundreds of dollars in pennies. This is easier to accomplish when you do a lot of business with the bank in question.

As for the rest us "hand sorters"; we purchase anywhere between a couple rolls to two or three boxes of pennies ($50 to $75 worth). Even then, many banks require us to have an account.

And yes; sometimes we are asked, "Why we want all those pennies?" I usually say something about searching for the old "wheat" (pre-1959) pennies, but I'm sure others have different answers.

quote:

How about the nickel coin?..this coin is 11% over its face value...there are millions of nickel coins,practically you do not have to select them...ALL are 11% over its face value.

Yes, some of us buy and hold nickels for their metal value for the same reasons you just outlined. In addition to the standard rationale you can also find pre-1960 nickels (worth a little more than face) and, less frequently, silver war nickels (worth almost $1).
Go to Top of Page

mooski
Penny Sorter Member

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  19:21:56  Show Profile Send mooski a Private Message
Whenever I have to run to the bank for work, I pick up a box of pennies and / or nickels.

I'll also have my coworkers pick me up a box if I know that they are going to the bank.

I once asked a friend of mine to get $1000 in nickels - but I didn't know that he was going to a grocery store bank branch.

I got $10 in nickels. (And my $990.)

The biggest problem is that I now have too many pennies. If I sort 10 pounds of pennies a day, I have enough pennies to last me two months.

I have a penny problem - but it's better than having a meth problem. This way, I get to keep all my teeth!

Sorting and hoarding in Seattle, WA
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  20:48:26  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Juan... we need your help on this thread:

You must be logged in to see this link.

interpret please???

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  14:01:32  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
Ok,guys....I am learning a lot about pennies.Let me share with you some aspects about copper in my precoius metal world:

Copper is used to harden gold and silver,18K gold contains 12.5 % weight of copper.Sterling silver contains 7.75% in weight of copper.Since copper is the most economical option for electronics,all golden items are copper made.Refining gold by the inquartation process needs copper in 3:1 (Cu/Au) proportion,refining silver produces copper as waste and do you know what?...all this copper is sent to drain.Nobody (except me) wants to recover it.

When do you think we can melt all our pennies?.

Kindest regards.

Manuel

Edited by - Juan Manuel Arcos Frank on 03/30/2010 14:02:17
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  14:11:22  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:

Ok,guys....I am learning a lot about pennies.Let me share with you some aspects about copper in my precoius metal world:

Copper is used to harden gold and silver,18K gold contains 12.5 % weight of copper.Sterling silver contains 7.75% in weight of copper.Since copper is the most economical option for electronics,all golden items are copper made.Refining gold by the inquartation process needs copper in 3:1 (Cu/Au) proportion,refining silver produces copper as waste and do you know what?...all this copper is sent to drain.Nobody (except me) wants to recover it.

When do you think we can melt all our pennies?.

Kindest regards.

Manuel

Thanks for the facts Manuel and welcome to the forums. I would like to hear how you recover the copper. Feel free to post all about it in either our scarp forum or the general discussion forum.

Ardent Listner

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Juan Manuel Arcos Frank

Mexico
19 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  14:18:44  Show Profile Send Juan Manuel Arcos Frank a Private Message
Ardent Listener:

The Big Boss of this Forum!!!!!!!..It is an honor for me talking with you.

I am working on copper reocvery/refining processes...I am tuning up them,I promise to post them next week.

The first thing we have to know is the mintage of copper pennies from 1959 to 1982...I have calculated this number and it is...........ˇ 157,630,521,000 ! an astronomic amount which yields to 525.4 cooper pennies for each american citizen,although I know many of you,guys,have more than this amount...many american citizen throw away their copper pennies so we exercise our right to collect them.

The second thing we have to know is that copper,for market purposes must be extremely pure,99.995%,so our copper pennies are 95 % so we have to fall into the hands of the scrap dealers,they are the bad guys of the movie.

When you melt some copper pennies and form a bar and try to laminate it,it brakes.It indicates that copper needs refining,in other words,our copper contains other base metals then it is call "scrap copper".Copper scrap may be categorized in four main types:

-LOW GRADE SCRAP.- Copper content from 10 to 95%

-ALLOY SCRAP.-Mainly brasses,bronzes and cupronickels.They are remelted as alloys.

-HIG GRADE COPPER SCRAP.-very pure copper contaminated with aluminum,iron,lead,silica and so for.

-CATHODE QUALITY SCRAP.-It requieres only melting and casting.This scrap originates mainly in copper manufacturing industry(reject road,wire and molds).

As you can see,our copper pennies are low grade scrap so we have two options:add more zinc/tin to convert them to brass/bronze and sell them as an alloy or refine our copper pennies to cathode quality copper.Enough for today.

Guys,I have a questions for all of you...Anyone knows the copper penny percentage in diferent States?...I mean,are the same in California and New York?.

Kindest regards

Manuel

Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  14:45:50  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:

Ardent Listener:

The Big Boss of this Forum!!!!!!!..It is an honor for me talking with you.

I am working on copper reocvery/refining processes...I am tuning up them,I promise to post them next week.

The first thing we have to know is the mintage of copper pennies from 1959 to 1982...I have calculated this number and it is...........ˇ 157,630,521,000 ! an astronomic amount which yields to 525.4 cooper pennies for each american citizen,although I know many of you,guys,have more than this amount...many american citizen throw away their copper pennies so we exercise our right to collect them.

The second thing we have to know is that copper,for market purposes must be extremely pure,99.995%,so our copper pennies are 95 % so we have to fall into the hands of the scrap dealers,they are the bad guys of the movie.

When you melt some copper pennies and form a bar and try to laminate it,it brakes.It indicates that copper needs refining,in other words,our copper contains other base metals then it is call "scrap copper".Copper scrap may be categorized in four main types:

-LOW GRADE SCRAP.- Copper content from 10 to 95%

-ALLOY SCRAP.-Mainly brasses,bronzes and cupronickels.They are remelted as alloys.

-HIG GRADE COPPER SCRAP.-very pure copper contaminated with aluminum,iron,lead,silica and so for.

-CATHODE QUALITY SCRAP.-It requieres only melting and casting.This scrap originates mainly in copper manufacturing industry(reject road,wire and molds).

As you can see,our copper pennies are low grade scrap so we have two options:add more zinc/tin to convert them to brass/bronze and sell them as an alloy or refine our copper pennies to cathode quality copper.Enough for today.

Guys,I have a questions for all of you...Anyone knows the copper penny percentage in diferent States?...I mean,are the same in California and New York?.

Kindest regards

Manuel

Welcome to the forum. Your above question can be answered in this topic:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page