Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 How much is enough? i.e. Pennies!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  09:05:17  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Poll Question:
I think it is an interesting question to ask. How much is enough?

I read this question was once asked of John D. Rockefeller.
His reply was: "Just a little bit more"!

So, how much is enough i.e. in copper pennies for you?

Choices:

Less that $1,000
Between $1,000 and $5,000
Over $5,000 but less than $10,000
Over $10,000

NoCents
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  09:24:09  Show Profile Send NoCents a Private Message
I need more zeros added.

What's in it for the dude?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  09:25:06  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Just a few tons more..

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  09:44:26  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
If you can afford more, you don't have enough.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  09:59:42  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Country, should my question have been: How much is excessive? LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Common Cents
Penny Sorter Member

82 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  10:19:01  Show Profile Send Common Cents a Private Message
My goal is to reach one ton, or 3000 face value. I just went past the quarter-ton mark, so I've got a way to go, but I feel it's a realistic goal for a handsorter like myself. But I think percentages available in circulation will be a big factor in determining the ultimate size of my penny hoard. At some point the effort to reward ratio will become a consideration for me. It seems pretty productive to me at present with better than 25% averages, but when it gets down to 10% I doubt that I'll be as motivated. The price of copper will also be a huge factor, because if the price is high enough, even a relatively paltry 10% could be quite profitable.

You never can tell what the future will bring!
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  10:51:26  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
n plus 1 is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  11:11:36  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Catcher

Country, should my question have been: How much is excessive? LOL!

I think NoCents was correct - need more zeros in this poll.

Is $3000 (300,000 coppers - 1 ton) enough?
Is $10000 (1 million coppers - 3+ tons) enough?
Is $10000 (1 million) to $50000 (5 million) enough?
Is $50000 (5 million) to $100000 (10 million) enough?
Is more than $100000 (10 million) enough?

I think one ton is the minimum to be enough. However, for many of us 1 ton will not do.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by - Country on 03/23/2010 11:12:50
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  11:58:57  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Hoard answered over 10,000... but he thought they meant tons

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Penny Sorter Member

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  12:01:12  Show Profile Send Mike a Private Message
In my lifetime, from the early 1960s to the present, the U.S. Dollar has lost over 90% of its purchasing power. I don't think anyone in this forum doubts the Dollar will continue on this course - the only question is whether the next 90% devaluation will take another 40+ years, or if it will take considerably less time. Based on the actions of our current "leaders", I believe it will take considerably less time.

So if you knew the Dollar was going to be devalued by another 90% sometimes soon, would any amount of gold, silver, copper, canned food etc. be enough?
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  12:21:00  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Since $10,000 is only a little over 3 tons and many members have passes that a long time ago this poll needs higher limits. Even the $100,000 option would not be high enough.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  23:06:26  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Anything over 3 tons is a good start. Actually, it just says over 10k.. it does not say how much over. At over 30 tons you are probably starting to be a commercial operation.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

Ember
Penny Sorter Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  00:30:48  Show Profile Send Ember a Private Message
Where do you store all those pennies?
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  09:55:11  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
I wonder how many of us would admit to having a slight obsessive/compulsive behavior issue... :-)
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  10:57:13  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
my Cu cents go into my barrel o pennies I would like to have it filled this year...maybe a ton or a little more as a hand sorter I think it is doable if I can leave the halves alone
Go to Top of Page

ScottyTX
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  11:41:57  Show Profile Send ScottyTX a Private Message
I'm setting my goal at 1 ton for now, after that who knows. I try to diversify my metals though. I would say between 5,000-10,000 would suffice for now.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Ember
Penny Sorter Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  20:35:42  Show Profile Send Ember a Private Message
I'm slowing down on obtaining silver/gold, so I am going to start hitting the banks to purchase a few boxes of pennies each week. Say you do obtain 1+ ton, how would you go about reselling all the copper? By that I mean due to the fact that there are so many pennies, how does the buyer know for sure they are all copper and not mixed?
This is one of the only reasons I have yet to really get started in copper cents.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  22:12:01  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ember

Say you do obtain 1+ ton, how would you go about reselling all the copper? By that I mean due to the fact that there are so many pennies, how does the buyer know for sure they are all copper and not mixed?
This is one of the only reasons I have yet to really get started in copper cents.

That first question is something many on this board are trying to figure out.

The way for the buyer to know they are all copper is the same way you would know a $1000 bag of silver coins is all silver. Deal with trusted sellers. Check weight/quantity ratio. Spot check several samples to insure purity.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  22:13:50  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fasteddy

my Cu cents go into my barrel o pennies I would like to have it filled this year...maybe a ton or a little more as a hand sorter I think it is doable if I can leave the halves alone

It's certainly doable. Just trade me your silver halves for coppers and we'll fill that barrel right up.

Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  18:47:54  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
Bahahahahahahahahahah, Hoard your two funny, currently my thumbs are to sore to box up the silver halves and I am trying to search 25 boxes by the end of the month so i REALLY don't have time to box plus the bathroom remodel, dang day job....with no relief in sight, Sorry This morning I was loading up for a halve dump and found an unopened halve box....man I got to get my life in orderi feel a slight case of OCD coming on
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  20:02:49  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Never enough. Sort untill there are no more coppers left. Or untill you run out of room. The footprint isn't really all that large for a ton or two, or three, or four....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

PointOmega
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  21:37:37  Show Profile Send PointOmega a Private Message
wow, what an original topic! Wasn't there the same topic earlier in March called "Hoarding Copper; how much is enough?" Oh well, so much for originality at Realcent.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  23:14:24  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
If you hang out here long enough.. you are sure to see many topics and questions revisited over.. an over.. and over.

Go to Top of Page

PointOmega
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  10:38:43  Show Profile Send PointOmega a Private Message
Okay, Hoard, I can understand your point about repetition over time. There are many people with similar interests here. I can appreciate that. It's just that the exact same topic was posted this month. Only three weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  10:44:46  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I know. Some of us have really short term memories. We suffer from a desease called "sometimers" as we get long in the tooth. It's kind of like alzheimers, only sometimes we forget stuff. Others just can't find the original thread so start a new one.

Go to Top of Page

biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

138 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  02:07:08  Show Profile Send biglouddrunk a Private Message
I would say sort until you can't afford it anymore or until you run out of room.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2