Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 1993 Flashback
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aristobolus
Penny Sorter Member

76 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  23:27:45  Show Profile Send Aristobolus a Private Message
Today I got a twenty five dollar bag of rolled pennies from my bank. To my surprise these Lincolns were all gathered in 1993! For none of them dated later then that year.

For me going through this batch brought back memories of that year. My wife and I were married in 93. I went back to Graduate school that year as well. Finally, our country at that time was embroiled in a health care debate that would lead to a change in the political map for over a decade- some things never change!

What I thought fascinating is that this was a snapshot in time of the gradual decline of copper in our coinage. I also hoped to find a higher percentage of wheats as well. As for the first point, 68.2% of the bag was copper; 31.8% was zinc. All seven of Canadians I found was of the larger pre-seventy nine variety. But the seven wheats I found was a disappointment; perhaps the person who rolled them either recently or in 93 had somewhat scanned for these older cents. Anyway about it, I found this quite an enjoyable and instructive sort. Maybe if others find similar bags, we can chart year by year the slow demise of this worthy metal in our mintage.

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  07:39:55  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
Nice score on the copper! This info pretty much falls in line with my predicted 2.6% percentage drop per year in copper since 1982. You say 68.2% were copper, my calculations came up with 71.4% copper for that year. Extremely close! and well within a margin of error for regional variances.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  13:00:08  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mikep2020

Nice score on the copper! This info pretty much falls in line with my predicted 2.6% percentage drop per year in copper since 1982. You say 68.2% were copper, my calculations came up with 71.4% copper for that year. Extremely close! and well within a margin of error for regional variances.

By your rule of thumb, the copper will disappear in 2021.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  15:19:29  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cerulean

quote:
Originally posted by Mikep2020

By your rule of thumb, the copper will disappear in 2021.

I don't remember what thread it was in, but yes, I predict copper will be mostly gone from circuation by 2021 as long as nothing changes. There will be "some" copper floating around out there, but probably as common as wheats are today.
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  16:56:00  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
If that is the case we all so have about 6 good years at getting copper yet.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  22:07:35  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Well if they switch to steel you'll have a situation like in Canada with copper zinc and steel (plus US zinc and copper) circulating side by side. See why I sort copper accept?

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  20:30:13  Show Profile Send Wanderer a Private Message
I have sorted a few similar groups myself, all before a certain date that was 10 or 15 years ago.

I usually wonder whether they have been sitting in some bank vault for the better part of a decade, or whether they were from some penny jar forgotten about and then cashed in. What does everyone else think?

Of course, whatever the circumstance, it is always nice to find such heavy copper percentage!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2