Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Why not hoard copper in dimes and quarters?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rakattack
Penny Pincher Member

105 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  23:38:03  Show Profile Send rakattack a Private Message
Quarters and dimes are so easy to get, plus they're conveniently larger and they contain ~91% copper. So, the reality is, while you guys are sorting through a box of pennies for copper, I can go to the bank and get a quarters. Not only is it a time saver, there's a chance for silver too (however slim they are)! Why NOT start hoarding clad dimes and quarters??

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
the cost to copper factor isn't as great as the penny.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

rakattack
Penny Pincher Member

105 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  23:42:51  Show Profile Send rakattack a Private Message
Oh ok, I wondered why people weren't hoarding dimes and quarters...
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  23:52:49  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

Just check that out, that's why.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  01:16:33  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rakattack

Oh ok, I wondered why people weren't hoarding dimes and quarters...

Because when you hoard clad quarters and dimes, you are grossly overpaying for your copper. For example, the older copper pennies actually have more copper than the clad dimes, yet they cost 1/10th as much.

Its true that obtaining copper pennies involves some sorting on my part; but then I'm only paying about $1.50 per pound for my copper as opposed to the roughly $17 per pound that you are paying for your's. If you want to obtain copper without sorting buy some nickels.
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  07:24:10  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
I cash in dimes and quarters to free up money for pennies. They will not hit parity until were probably well into hyperinflation. Nickels would be a better buy if you don't want to sort.
Go to Top of Page

sheba
Penny Pincher Member

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  11:21:48  Show Profile Send sheba a Private Message
Nickles, though pretty volatile, are bouncing around the 9.90 to 10.40 area (25% nickle-75% CU, I think).

At 10.00/lb for nickle, a 2.00 roll of nickles is worth slightly more in metal content ... I have recently seen the metal content as high as 2.07-2.10 for a 2.00 roll.

Plus there is the advantage of running across a wild buffalo, 35% UA war nickles and possibly even a liberty nickle. Also some of the dates of the Jeffersons are underpriced as numismatic items, according to the 'experts'.

If you want to sort and hoard more than pennies, I woul suggest nickles as a possibility.

sheba

woof ... wag ... whine

Edited by - sheba on 03/10/2010 11:23:06
Go to Top of Page

Dalmatian929

15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  12:28:34  Show Profile Send Dalmatian929 a Private Message
What they said above. And if dimes and quarters hit parity any time soon they would not do you much good anyway in my opinion. That type of Zimbabwean hyperinflation scenario would make the great depression look like good times.
Go to Top of Page

cesario
Penny Pincher Member

129 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  17:55:16  Show Profile Send cesario a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sheba

35% UA war nickles

I was gonna make a Periodic Table joke here, but I can't find an element that is either Ua, or U & A. (Uranium has the chemical symbol of U).
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:07:03  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Someday clad will be hoarded too. But today isn't that day. The zinc cent will probably be hoarded first.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

sheba
Penny Pincher Member

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:48:26  Show Profile Send sheba a Private Message
Sorry about that cesarioi and everyone else ..

Never took Chemistry (which must be obvious by now) ... but I guess I'll try again with Ag or Au ... one's gold and one's silver, right?

anyway, that silver stuff in the warnickles makes finding them worthwhile ... I think their metal value is around 1.00+ per nickle. (I think!!!! )

I'll bet there might be a lot of Uranium money in the Chernobyl area

sheba

woof ... wag ... whine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2