Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Loophole?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlexTG

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:00:40  Show Profile Send AlexTG a Private Message
So I was studying for my Spanish test and had an ADD moment. Looking over at my nightstand, I picked up a crushed zinc my girlfriend got me when she went to the Smithsonian. I thought to my self “wouldn’t it be interesting if someone sold the crushed pennies instead of the normal ones?”

Then it hit me, there is a melt-ban on pennies.
There is no melt-ban on crushed pennies, because they are no longer pennies. If they were still pennies then you could use them to pay debts, but try doing that and someone will reject your request. IF you can not melt crushed pennies then one of two things could happen in court, ban penny crushing machines, (big loss…) or crushed pennies would have to be accepted as legal tender.

Does that mean someone could make an automatic penny crushing machine and could process through tons of pre-1982 pennies so they then could be melted down?

I realize this is far fetched, but you can see where I am going with this idea.

I know we don’t want the melt ban to be lifted right now and that at current prices it may not be worth going through the process of developing such a machine. (Ryedale you busy?)

What do you guys think? Just theory crafting here.

P.S. The crushed zincolin is of a f-16 and the zinc is coming out of the jet engines, and outlines the jet. But shows up nowhere else, it actually looks really cool.

tlake22
Penny Sorter Member

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:02:01  Show Profile Send tlake22 a Private Message
I think you have a valid point.

terry
Go to Top of Page

thedrifter
Penny Sorter Member

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:18:17  Show Profile Send thedrifter a Private Message
To use your logic, one could at this time melt the ugliest of the ugly abes. I mean the ones that are so badly corrided, damaged, etc as to render them unreconizable or unusable.

But just try convincing one of the gustapo in the mint or treasury etc.

The Drifter
Go to Top of Page

AlexTG

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:26:02  Show Profile Send AlexTG a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thedrifter

To use your logic, one could at this time melt the ugliest of the ugly abes. I mean the ones that are so badly corrided, damaged, etc as to render them unreconizable or unusable.

But just try convincing one of the gustapo in the mint or treasury etc.

I would agree with this except for one thing, I could still take the worst of the worst. Go to my bank run them in the counter, and get the 1c value for it.

Compared to pennies that are usable, the amount of unusable ones are very, very small. I would wager even if HCBTT was to collect all of his unusable pennies, and melt them down. The Feds would not be knocking on his door as it would be such a small impact on the overall supply of pennies, nobody would ever know except him, and possibly the person who melted them for him.(assuming he can't do it himself) The supply is really what they are concerned with.

Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:33:47  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
Sorry guys, it's not that easy

Department of the Treasury, 31 CFR Part 82
Prohibition on the Exportation, Melting, or Treatment of 5-Cent and One-Cent Coins

82.2 (2) (b) The prohibition contained in Sec. 82.1 against the treatment of 5-cent coins and one-cent coins shall not apply to the treatment of these coins for educational, amusement, novelty, jewelry, and similar purposes as long as the volumes treated and the nature of the treatment makes it clear that such treatment is not intended as a means by which to profit solely from the value of the metal content of the coins.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

AlexTG

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:38:36  Show Profile Send AlexTG a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by natsb88

Sorry guys, it's not that easy

Department of the Treasury, 31 CFR Part 82
Prohibition on the Exportation, Melting, or Treatment of 5-Cent and One-Cent Coins

82.2 (2) (b) The prohibition contained in Sec. 82.1 against the treatment of 5-cent coins and one-cent coins shall not apply to the treatment of these coins for educational, amusement, novelty, jewelry, and similar purposes as long as the volumes treated and the nature of the treatment makes it clear that such treatment is not intended as a means by which to profit solely from the value of the metal content of the coins.

Thanks, somehow I feel you have been over this before.

The thing about showing up late to the party, you never know what everyone has already talked about.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:40:59  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
Yeah, it has come up a couple times before. This is the website I first found the information on:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  15:05:09  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
So burning pennies in science class is cool - but smelting them by the truckload is not cool.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  15:24:38  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
Is there somewhere you can redeem damaged coins?

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  16:12:02  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
The United States Mint is the only place that handles redemption of mutilated coins, and they should be sent to the Mint at Post Office Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19106.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

Bart
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  20:35:21  Show Profile Send Bart a Private Message

I was toying with the idea of leaving some pennys on the train tracks by my house. Just a roll or two at a time but with my luck it would derail the train when it went by!

Nice. Yes. Very nice.
Go to Top of Page

dougefresh
Penny Sorter Member

34 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  20:38:44  Show Profile Send dougefresh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bart

I was toying with the idea of leaving some pennys on the train tracks by my house. Just a roll or two at a time but with my luck it would derail the train when it went by!

We used to do this when we were kids. Works fine, but as a 'responsible" adult now, I really wouldn't recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

smalltimeopn
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:03:05  Show Profile Send smalltimeopn a Private Message
quote:
quote:

Has anyone ever sent damaged coins back to the mint? Obviously the banks are not doing their job. I have some that I would like to send.
Go to Top of Page

smalltimeopn
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:07:16  Show Profile Send smalltimeopn a Private Message
I messed up the quote thing above, I was refering back to Slickeast and AGM's posts on sending damaged coins back to the mint. Anyone have experience with that?
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  09:17:15  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dougefresh

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

We used to do this when we were kids. Works fine, but as a 'responsible" adult now, I really wouldn't recommend it.

There is another consideration as well. You must put the pennies in a place the train is going fairly slow. I've tried at many times as a kid, but I never got any back as the train was always going to fast. I'm not sure if they stuck to the wheels or got flung. And to second the "responsible adult" viewpoint, we were waaaaay to close to the tracks when the trains went by.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  20:40:51  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
I did send some damaged coins back I think it qas around $20 but got a postcard saying I did not meet their mininum coin requirement.

I would write them first before going through this hassle.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  21:41:53  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
How about a machine to make Realcent crushed pennies? We could sell them by the ton. Of course if we weren't able to sell them we would be forced to scrap them to recover our losses.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

smalltimeopn
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  18:25:23  Show Profile Send smalltimeopn a Private Message
quote:

So they kept your coins and sent ya a nice card saying you did not have enough???

What jerks!!!
Go to Top of Page

smalltimeopn
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  18:27:35  Show Profile Send smalltimeopn a Private Message
I keep screwing up this quote thing. Sorry folks.

My post above was concerning coppercatcher's reply.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  18:36:21  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by smalltimeopn

I keep screwing up this quote thing. Sorry folks.

My post above was concerning coppercatcher's reply.

So how are you screwing it up?

DON'T DELETE ANYTHING

Just start typing

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

smalltimeopn
Penny Sorter Member

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  19:00:09  Show Profile Send smalltimeopn a Private Message
I just did the quick reply on this one but on the others, I hit "reply to topic", highlight the quote I want to reference, then click on the "add quote" button but it is empty. I need to read the owners manual!
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  19:23:22  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by smalltimeopn

I just did the quick reply on this one but on the others, I hit "reply to topic", highlight the quote I want to reference, then click on the "add quote" button but it is empty. I need to read the owners manual!

You can either use the "Reply with Quote" button at the top of a post, or you copy the text you want to quote and paste it inside of the quote tags that the "Insert Quote" button creates. It's better just to use the "Reply with Quote" button, because it automatically identifies the original author within the quote.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  20:38:28  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Nate is the manual, just read his posts.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

thatgeorge

15 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  21:24:52  Show Profile Send thatgeorge a Private Message
Just a thought, but if you melted your copper pennies and then junked them up to 98 percent copper how would anyone be able to prove that you hadn't melted down a bunch of Canadian pennies?
Go to Top of Page

nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

35 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  12:20:38  Show Profile Send nokozan a Private Message
great minds think a like You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2