Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Twins
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aristobolus
Penny Sorter Member

76 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  21:44:07  Show Profile Send Aristobolus a Private Message
Although this is my first post, I have been reading this site since its humble beginnings.

The subject of my post is that in the four years that I have been sorting through pennies, I have noticed the uncanny coupling of finding two pennies of the same year in the same roll- such as two 22s or 55s.

Why? Perhaps it is because they were unrolled from an old roll recently. Or a another more romantic theory is that these pennies(being just woth a cent)often stay together in tandem as they are kept together to give change for a nickel or dime.

Any thoughts?

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  22:13:35  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

No thoughts, but welcome to the forum...

>
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  22:31:44  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
You know, I just noticed a similar situation in my last NF Strings box. In one roll was a pair of 1961 canadian pennies. I find canadian coins some, usually not too old or many since I am a ways from the border. But two of the same older year in the same roll?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  06:54:25  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
welcome and I will try to see if that is true on the next batch that I will sort.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  07:13:05  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
I think you are simply making an observational bias. However, i've seen similar things happen when looking for silver, where a roll has more than 1 silver coin in it. If it isn't random, it's probably the result of someones dump of old coins getting put together. I believe it's random luck to sit those dates together in a roll, which leads the searcher to see this as being significant.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:15:04  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
i have seen this in bank rolls of halves. find a 1976 and back toback will be another. wayyyyyyyyy too many times to be a coincidence
Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:14:39  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
cwgii, that is because there are a boat load of 76 halves out there.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:21:44  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
birds of a feather flock together ???

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  17:43:41  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
twilight zone?

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

coppernickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  18:31:47  Show Profile Send coppernickel a Private Message
I have wondered the same. In my last box I the only wheats I found were two 37s side by side, both very worn.

I have also noticed runs, today it is 1979, or 1961 or 1973. The odd part is finding three mint state 1961 cents, that I got from rolls in three different banks. I wonder if they don't come looking for me.

Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
Go to Top of Page

Dalmatian929

15 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  12:33:35  Show Profile Send Dalmatian929 a Private Message
I once found a 1941 US penny and 1941 Canadian penny in the same roll. The odds of me finding a 1941 Canadian penny are very slim to begin with. So I assume an elderly person cashed in a jar of change at the bank and the two found themselves in the same roll.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  17:14:44  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Now the oddest pair I have ever found was two error pennies "struck through capped die" in the same roll,
but they were different dates.
The odds on that would be phenomenal.
Someone had to have dumped them.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Edited by - fb101 on 03/10/2010 17:15:30
Go to Top of Page

oldBPman
Penny Sorter Member

83 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  17:22:34  Show Profile Send oldBPman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aristobolus

Although this is my first post, I have been reading this site since its humble beginnings.

The subject of my post is that in the four years that I have been sorting through pennies, I have noticed the uncanny coupling of finding two pennies of the same year in the same roll- such as two 22s or 55s.

Why? Perhaps it is because they were unrolled from an old roll recently. Or a another more romantic theory is that these pennies(being just woth a cent)often stay together in tandem as they are kept together to give change for a nickel or dime.

Any thoughts?

I found a pr of 1982 95% coppers together and felt lucky so played them boxed for 5 bucks, the number that came in was 1972. but anyway, i do notice a lot of couples together.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2