Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 What did you scrap this week?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  09:40:57  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I scrapped 62 pounds of aluminum siding coil for $40.30. It came to a $0.65 per pound. Glad to have that heap out of my garage.
Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  15:07:15  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
Just scored 6 alum. rims at a yard sale from a tahoe for $40. After I weighed them they came to 98 pounds. So my local scrap yard is paying .80 a pound so it comes to $79. The lady of the sale said that she will bring 4 alum. rims from a buick tomorrow for $25 so I will have to jump on that too.

Does anyone know if these may be worth more at a auto salvage yard?

Thanks

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

tyoon21
Penny Sorter Member

52 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  16:53:02  Show Profile Send tyoon21 a Private Message
340 lbs of scrap steel @ $10/100lbs = $34

Scrap steel has really gone up lately...six months ago they were paying $6.40 per 100 lbs.

However, according to the "experts" steel prices as well as other commodity prices my be coming down after the Olypmic games. The "experts" say that China actually cannot support the amount commodity buying for the long term and basically they are trying to create a "wonderland" of commerce to support the olympics.

I don't know how much I trust these "experts". Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Tom

Take this job and shove it. I don't want to work here no more...
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  00:35:38  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
I'll be getting my dads old water heater to scrap and was wondering if it's a good scrap item?
Go to Top of Page

double dot
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  01:21:04  Show Profile Send double dot a Private Message
I got impatient with the school dumpsters, so I checked 6 on three days on the way home from work last week and came up with no metal. I should have expected with classes ending just last week.

Wednesday July 3, only checked two dumpsters - first at elementary school has construction going on so a few motors. Second one at a high school has a computer lab being tossed out. I picked up quality steel shelves and with aluminum hinges - clean stuff. Probably 250 lbs steel 10 lbs AL. Check those school dumpsters!
Hit the thrift store dumpster who are tossing huge aluminum crutch donation - 6 pairs. All while running other errands.

I'm viewing it two ways. Either the scrap is subsidizing my gas money for commuting to my regular job and trips to the store or I'm working at a regular job and going to the store to justify acquisitions for my metal addiction.

Crouching Teller, Hiding Copper
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  23:37:00  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
Scrapped 3 hot water heaters at 165lbs each for 7 cents per pound. Got apx. $35
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  10:24:42  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
2,500 oz of sterling

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  10:35:13  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tyoon21

340 lbs of scrap steel @ $10/100lbs = $34

Scrap steel has really gone up lately...six months ago they were paying $6.40 per 100 lbs.

However, according to the "experts" steel prices as well as other commodity prices my be coming down after the Olypmic games. The "experts" say that China actually cannot support the amount commodity buying for the long term and basically they are trying to create a "wonderland" of commerce to support the olympics.

I don't know how much I trust these "experts". Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Tom

Spent 60 days in China in about 10 different provinces, almost all on business touring industries. They NEED metals. Manufacturing, industrialization, millions wanting new cars, infrastructure projects, on and on. The olympics are just a blip on the radar in Beijing, and that is just one of MANY cities in China.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  11:07:28  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
China may NEED metals, but how long till the well runs dry?
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  17:55:39  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
I scrapped 6 pounds of brass, 21 pounds of stainless and 30 pounds of aluminum today. I already lost the reciept and don't remember what I got per pound. Got $39 for it, and finally got it out of the trunk of my car.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  17:53:41  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
#1 Cu 30lbs. @ $2.50 $75.00
#2 Cu 20lbs. @ $2.30 $46.00
#2 Ins Cu 50% 12lbs. @ $1.15 $13.80
Yellow brass 14lbs. @ $1.50 $21.00
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 314lbs. @ $1.30 $408.20
Misc. scrap 26lbs. @ $0.07 $1.82
Total $565.82

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:03:10  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
First time brining steel in today.

580lbs at 11 cents a pound. $63.8 I was amazed at the pile of steel they had.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  02:53:54  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Not bady Deal, Davy.

Davy, what kind of steel did you have? Just mixed steel/iron, etc? Do you separate, clean, etc?

24 Empty Missile Tubes, A Giant Mushroom Cloud....It's Miller Time!!!
Go to Top of Page

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  09:25:13  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
It was just mixed. It was four steel posts and some rebar. Im going to start to get into steel more. I always thought it was a waste of time, but it took me less than a hour to load, get there, and get out. I love going to the scrap yard. There is always something interesting to see. When I pulled up to the mountin of steel there were parts all over the place so I couldnt back up. So the operator of the crane took a huge pile of what looked like steel wool(about twice the size of my truck) and used it as a huge mop and cleared all the metal out of the way for me. I thought that was pretty neat how they do that. I did however get questioned pretty hard about where I got all the steel, but found out the guys were just screwing with me.

Edited by - davycoppit on 08/08/2008 09:29:17
Go to Top of Page

Treasurekidd
Penny Sorter Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  13:28:13  Show Profile Send Treasurekidd a Private Message
I only started getting into scrapping a few weeks ago, and I made my first return on investment today. I know it's technically not scrapping, but I've been saving aluminim cans, plastic soda bottles, and glass beer bottles for the .05 cent deposits, plus various other metal items (copper, brass, aluminum and small amounts of scrap steel) for their scrap value.

Cashed in 289 plastic soda bottles today for the .05 cent deposit, totaled $14.45. Not much, I know, but it's a start. It was my first time cashing them in, and now that I know the limits and where to go, I'll make more next time. Hey, I'm $14.45 closer to retirement, lol! Happy scrapping!

Ebay Stuff: http://shop.ebay.com/pktchng/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25
Go to Top of Page

B-Power-B
Penny Pincher Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  17:59:12  Show Profile Send B-Power-B a Private Message
Hey Robarons,

I know its been awhile and you most likely scrapped the Buick wheels as well. Alloy wheels are a hard thing for me because I know that there is the chance I can sell them to someone who needs them, but its so easy to scrap them.

I have had pretty good luck on craigslist. A lot of the time people look for a second set of wheels for snow/winter tires, or even curb the hell out of one and need a replacement.

If you are patient they usually will sell (from my experience). Plus the ULTIMATE recycling is reusing, and if I can help someone out while making a buck its worth my time.

Happy Hunting-BB

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  11:48:30  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
I save aluminum cans and when I am yard saling I purchase things that cost less than there metal value. Just turned in:

Copper Pipe, Stripped Wire:
14 Pounds
Paid $2.65 a Pound

Yellow Brass wall hanging plates, baskets, silver plated brass bowls, pipe connections, car keys, bullet shells:
17 Pounds
Paid $1.30 a Pound

Insulated Copper Wire, some from the insides of computers, extension cords, house wiring, large amount of 8 wire thick cord low copper content:
107 Pounds
Paid $0.65 a Pound

Clean Aluminum, ice trays, cooking pans, pan lids, pie plates, decorative hanging plates, measuring cups, bunt cake molds:
37 Pounds
Paid $0.50 a Pound

Dirty Aluminum, baseball bats, insulated aluminum wire:
21 Pounds
Paid $0.20 a Pound

Aluminum Pop Cans:
18 Pounds
Paid $0.61 a Pound

Clean Stainless Steel, milk can, cooking pans, pan lids, measuring cups, serving trays:
18 Pounds
Paid $0.50 a Pound

Diecast, broken light fixture base, pot trivet:
1 Pound
Paid $0.10 a Pound

Sewing Machine Motor:
3 Pounds
Paid $0.18 a Pound

Stainless Steel that a magnet sticks to:
4 Pounds
Paid $.07 a Pound
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  20:44:12  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Took a small load today. Not my best, but every bit counts.

#1 Cu 38lbs. @ $2.45 $93.10
#2 Cu 6lbs. @ $2.30 $13.80
#1 Ins Cu 75% 26lbs. @ $1.60 $41.60
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 124lbs. @ $1.30 $161.20
Au Rad Dirty 8lbs. @ $0.25 $2.00
Misc. scrap 28lbs. @ $0.07 $1.96
Total $313.66

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

bruce hylton
Penny Pincher Member

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  14:48:45  Show Profile Send bruce hylton a Private Message
9260 lbs misc. iron $736.10 some prepared, some not
Go to Top of Page

B-Power-B
Penny Pincher Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  10:18:57  Show Profile Send B-Power-B a Private Message
Where I come from, Iron and steel mix together. Is that true for the rest of you guys? I am just wondering why you only got $158 a ton Bruce (oh and by the way, nice job getting that weight dude!

Ohh and Deal, can I start coming to work with you!??

Edited by - B-Power-B on 09/23/2008 10:21:09
Go to Top of Page

bruce hylton
Penny Pincher Member

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  22:54:53  Show Profile Send bruce hylton a Private Message
The prepared hms#1 was $200 a ton, the unprepared ductile iron was $110 a ton.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:26:22  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Small load, but needed the room in the truck for the next week or so. Work is going to be busy....

#1 Cu 26lbs. @ $2.45 $63.70
#2 Cu 24lbs. @ $2.30 $55.20
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 144lbs. @ $1.25 $180.00
Total #298.90

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  20:06:31  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Told you I was going to busy. This all came from 5 10-ton RTU's*. All these were done on Monday. Busy, long day. I do not scrap the "shell" of the units or the fan motors or compressors. Those are left for the junk man. Roughly $150 per unit in "good" stuff.

A little more detailed breakdown:

#1 Ins Cu 75% 50lbs. @ $1.60 $80.00 Copper pipe wrapped with a sticky cork tape.
#2 Ins Cu 50% 38lbs. @ $0.90 $34.20 Wire harnesses
#2 Cu 40lbs. @ $2.30 $92.00 Clean, brazed copper tubing
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 448lbs. @ $1.25 $560.00 Condensing and evaporator coils with ends cut off.

Total $766.20

Deal

*RTU stands for roof top unit. Although these are actually suspended from the ceiling of a cave. Industrial/commercial type units.

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

B-Power-B
Penny Pincher Member

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  22:48:56  Show Profile Send B-Power-B a Private Message
Deal, you never answered me.. I want to go to work with you and get my hands on some of those ACRs

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  06:23:58  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Okay, first you will probably have to move, as that would be a hell of a commute. Then convince the two owners that we need someone else. THEN, and this is an important one, you have to get on the install truck with me. Actually, we might be looking for help in a bit. Not a glamorous job, but we are going to need a filter changer/unit washer. Our old filter changer is getting promoted to the service department. So, I guess go ahead and put in your application....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2