Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 What did you scrap this week?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  00:06:33  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I love BBQs. Easy money!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

wavecrazed
Penny Sorter Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  20:49:52  Show Profile Send wavecrazed a Private Message
I scored some aluminum dryer ducting from work installing it in condos. Picked up a pair of extruded aluminum ladder racks for a small pickup truck. Sold it on craigslist for a 50 spot. Today found a dryer. My friend at the country club on Saturday had me get a stainless looking small refrigerator and a dryer. Today found a stainless pool thing. Sold 3 beer kegs back to the beer store for 60 (deposit)big ones. Some college kids moved out near the college and I drove by at the right time for curbside trash. Also scored a gas bbq today. Business is good. Later.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  21:43:02  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Flbandit

I love BBQs. Easy money!

I agree. I told my wife if I had every thrown away bbq in this country, we could retire! hahaha.

24 Empty Missile Tubes, A Giant Mushroom Cloud....It's Miller Time!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  21:46:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wavecrazed

I scored some aluminum dryer ducting from work installing it in condos. Picked up a pair of extruded aluminum ladder racks for a small pickup truck. Sold it on craigslist for a 50 spot. Today found a dryer. My friend at the country club on Saturday had me get a stainless looking small refrigerator and a dryer. Today found a stainless pool thing. Sold 3 beer kegs back to the beer store for 60 (deposit)big ones. Some college kids moved out near the college and I drove by at the right time for curbside trash. Also scored a gas bbq today. Business is good. Later.

Nice work. It does sound like business is good. I wish I had a partner around here that I could work with. I'm thinking with 2 people, the cash would more than double. Even as bad as the economy is, I can't find anyone willing to help me out. I have an 18 year old daughter, no way SHE's gonna help me out. My 15 year old son helps every once in awhile though. But as long as grandma keeps putting money in his pocket, he doesn't think he needs to help me.
If I had a partner, we could take turns doing different things. One could go looking one day, while the other broke stuff down. I think that would be perfect.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  21:49:54  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by clwp

Wednesdays total - $625 in steel 200/per ton (2 trips with dump trailer)

thursday load 24820 pounds of electric motors .20 per pound for total of $4964
5 loads

wednesdays total paid for a bobcat for 2 days and we used a large dump trailer so physical manpower was minimum. Most of the motors were forklift battery chargers which we also cut off the cords which have lots of finer wire copper in them.

By the way, where the hell did you get 24820 pounds of electric motors? How big were they, etc? That's a lot of motors. A friend of mine in the Navy gave me some really big motors from his dad's laundry mat. Seems like they weighed over 100 lbs a piece. These were really big, so it would be hard to imagine 24000 pounds of them! Holy cow!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  14:32:51  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
our buddys, buddys, buddys, grandfather passed away. He was into scrapping for several years like maybe 50 years. He used to get semi loads dumped off at his house. In the last few years he hasnt touched anything due to declining health. After he passed away no ine in the family was interested in cleaning it all up and they said if we wanted it we could have it. They knew there was some value in it but they really dont know how much value. there was about 40 fork lift battery chargers at about 350-450 pounds apiece as well as years worth of electric motors. There is still probaably 1000 pounds of motors scattered around and 4-5 tons of steel were slowlyy pulling out.
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  15:44:41  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
I haven't scrapped it, yet, but I just pulled some copper tubing out for a new ice line on my refrigerator of the house I just bought. It's not alot, but it's a start.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  06:21:07  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by clwp

our buddys, buddys, buddys, grandfather passed away. He was into scrapping for several years like maybe 50 years. He used to get semi loads dumped off at his house. In the last few years he hasnt touched anything due to declining health. After he passed away no ine in the family was interested in cleaning it all up and they said if we wanted it we could have it. They knew there was some value in it but they really dont know how much value. there was about 40 fork lift battery chargers at about 350-450 pounds apiece as well as years worth of electric motors. There is still probaably 1000 pounds of motors scattered around and 4-5 tons of steel were slowlyy pulling out.

Definitely a good deal for you guys!.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  06:22:48  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Crash

I haven't scrapped it, yet, but I just pulled some copper tubing out for a new ice line on my refrigerator of the house I just bought. It's not alot, but it's a start.

Yeah, it's a good start. You'll be amazed at how fast it all adds up once you put some effort into it. The stuff is everywhere! Good luck!!

Go to Top of Page

double dot
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  22:29:50  Show Profile Send double dot a Private Message
Odd find of the week - KMart mall dumpster 4.5 ft clearance at the bottom of which was a nonelectric pallet jack. Guessing 150+ lbs.

Crouching Teller, Hiding Copper
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  22:39:07  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Kmart know ya have that?

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

double dot
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  23:39:44  Show Profile Send double dot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Kmart know ya have that?

I thought about this a lot. Here is the rationalization part followed by the scrapper theory of uncertainty.

The dumpster is by itself 100 yards from the anchor store in the parking lot. There are no other materials nearby. I assume the dumpster belonged to the nearest store (Kmart) but it could belong to other stores (unlikely) or more possibly to the mall itself. I have had a chance to inspect it and it does not jack all the way up and there is a small but necessary chunk missing from one of the forks. It could have been damaged before or during being thrown away legitimately by a store including Kmart. Less likely would be a prank. Prank stuff ends up in ditches or blocks away. This would require almost 3 people to get into a dumpster. But it is possible it wasn't meant as trash. Most probably the large dumpster would be filled with more trash and the whole thing dumped in about a week.

The assumption I make on dumpsters is that if it is in there it is fair game. School dumpsters are full of scrap metal and new books especially at annual startup and shutdown. Libraries throw away most donations and some libraries lock their dumpsters or hide them around back so donors don't see the dumping of unwanted books. Thrift stores also have limited space like libraries and logically all of the stuff works and is clean and well wrapped. I don't second guess a dumpster. Tonight I found two 3/4 HP 460V single phase GE electric motors in a dumpster probably 100 lbs behind a thrift store.

Uncertainty abounds in scrapping. The only certainty with scrap metal on private property is if it is on the curb as part of trash pickup or some craigslist deal has been confirmed or it has a free sign on it. A bicycle or aluminum scooter on the front lawn next to the trash is off limits as it could be a kids misplaced item. Less certainly, dumpsters are fair game near places of business if one is invited to park next to it to shop, unless there is a no tresspassing sign or near a construction site or if there is a bunch of stuff for sale nearby outside. Why? I don't know, just seems logical. I could be wrong.

Crouching Teller, Hiding Copper
Go to Top of Page

lilyrdape
Penny Pincher Member

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  13:46:37  Show Profile  Send lilyrdape an AOL message Send lilyrdape a Private Message
turned in 29pounds cans at 76cents and 49pounds copper at 2.85
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  12:26:42  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by double dot

quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Kmart know ya have that?

I thought about this a lot. Here is the rationalization part followed by the scrapper theory of uncertainty.

The dumpster is by itself 100 yards from the anchor store in the parking lot. There are no other materials nearby. I assume the dumpster belonged to the nearest store (Kmart) but it could belong to other stores (unlikely) or more possibly to the mall itself. I have had a chance to inspect it and it does not jack all the way up and there is a small but necessary chunk missing from one of the forks. It could have been damaged before or during being thrown away legitimately by a store including Kmart. Less likely would be a prank. Prank stuff ends up in ditches or blocks away. This would require almost 3 people to get into a dumpster. But it is possible it wasn't meant as trash. Most probably the large dumpster would be filled with more trash and the whole thing dumped in about a week.

The assumption I make on dumpsters is that if it is in there it is fair game. School dumpsters are full of scrap metal and new books especially at annual startup and shutdown. Libraries throw away most donations and some libraries lock their dumpsters or hide them around back so donors don't see the dumping of unwanted books. Thrift stores also have limited space like libraries and logically all of the stuff works and is clean and well wrapped. I don't second guess a dumpster. Tonight I found two 3/4 HP 460V single phase GE electric motors in a dumpster probably 100 lbs behind a thrift store.

Uncertainty abounds in scrapping. The only certainty with scrap metal on private property is if it is on the curb as part of trash pickup or some craigslist deal has been confirmed or it has a free sign on it. A bicycle or aluminum scooter on the front lawn next to the trash is off limits as it could be a kids misplaced item. Less certainly, dumpsters are fair game near places of business if one is invited to park next to it to shop, unless there is a no tresspassing sign or near a construction site or if there is a bunch of stuff for sale nearby outside. Why? I don't know, just seems logical. I could be wrong.

I'm with you 100 percent.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  13:02:01  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
6/16
Alum Extrusions 55# @ $.82 $45.10
Cast Alum 11# @ $.72 $7.70
Mixed Alum Clips 15# @ $.72 $10.80
EC Grade Alum Wire 3# @ $.78 $2.34
Alum Sheet 7# @ $.68 $4.76
Used Beverage Cans 10# @ $.70 $7.00
Irony Cast Alum 25# @ $.23 $5.75
Alum Wheels 71# @ $.78 $55.38
Yellow Brass 7# @ $1.65 $11.55
#2 CU 21# @ $2.40 $50.40
#1 Bright CU 81# @ $2.70 $224.10
Elec Motor Breakage 65# @ $.22 $14.30
Copper XFMR Cores 10# @ $.38 $3.80
Steel & Iron 27# @ $.035 $.95
Misc Circ Boards 3# @ $.65 $1.95
Stainless Steel 41# @ $.78 $31.98
Zinc Diecastings 6# @ $.35 $2.10

Grand Total $479.96
Pt Alum 20# @.60 $12.00 (window screen frames and misc Alum)
Stainess 3# @.60 $1.80 (1" X 3' pipe")
Motor 21# @.17 $3.57 (pool pump motor)

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  17:44:47  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
#1 Cu 36lbs. @ $2.50 $90.00
#2 Cu 10lbs. @ $2.30 $23.00
#2 Ins Cu 50% 26lbs. @ $1.15 $29.90
Yellow brass 12lbs. @ $1.50 $18.00
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 266lbs. @ $1.35 $359.10
Misc. scrap 50lbs. @ $0.07 $3.50
Total $523.50

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  18:22:42  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Where in the hell did you get 266lbs of radiators deal? I struggle to find 10 pounds of anything, and some of you guys come in with enormous amounts of the more uncommon items. What am I doing wrong?

I bought tires yesterday from a local mom and pop shop. I almost had the guy convinced to let me buy his scrap lead, and his old aluminum rims. I made the mistake of telling him how much they're really worth. He told me he only got half what I told him I'd give him in our town. I told him I take them to Tacoma and get paid more. I made his day I guess.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  20:31:14  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks for the help on the BBQ, guys. I am hoping to take my aluminum/copper load in next week. Looks like you two have had good luck. I have another question on scrapping an item. I found a push mower today, I grabbed it to take with my steel load. I used a magnet on it and found that parts of the engine are aluminum. Is it worth to take apart apart the engine to get the aluminum. Any experience on this will help. I too have come to like BBQ's easy money. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  22:03:14  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by USNavySubSailor

Where in the hell did you get 266lbs of radiators deal? I struggle to find 10 pounds of anything, and some of you guys come in with enormous amounts of the more uncommon items. What am I doing wrong?

Funny. I kinda cheat. I'm in the HVAC/R industry, and I get to keep what I want. That is also why I don't mess with the motors or the scrap metal, I can pick and choose. I clean the coils and line sets and keep them until they take up too much space. That I when I scrap. The rest I leave for the junk man. The commercial units are the best. Large, heavy coils. Usually three or four layers thick.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  00:06:33  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by evans

...parts of the engine are aluminum. Is it worth to take apart apart the engine to get the aluminum.

It's worth it to remove the aluminum.

To start with, you will then have the rest of the mower (steel, or whatever they call it), and your engine block of irony/contaminated aluminum. That alone would make it worth it, as the irony Al gets a higher price.

Then, you'll have to decide how easy it is to 'clean' all of the steel pieces from the aluminum. Screws and bolts are easy, but bearings and piston rings are not. 100% clean Al will get the best price, but may not be worth the effort.

I've heard some people talk of smashing the pieces with a sledgehammer, but that is not possible for me in my current home. I just separate as well as I can and don't worry about the difficult pieces.

WheatieFan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  19:37:24  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
You are right. I took the motor offthe steel frame and arted to recover the aluminum parts on the motor. I got the easy parts off, but the two main housing assy's were held together with the crank and piston. I spent about fourty-five minutes on it and gave up. I put it with my steel items. I have only took clean aluminum, with no steel atached, will the yards pay for aluminum such as this engine with steel atached or should I just throw it im with my steel. I have to go to two different yards to get the best priceOne yard I take my steel and the other yard only takes non-furrous metals.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  21:35:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
you can sell this as dirty aluminum. You can expect anywhere fom .15 to .25 per pound on this
Go to Top of Page

No82s
Penny Pincher Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  13:19:46  Show Profile Send No82s a Private Message
Aluminum cans 48# @ $0.70 $33.60
#2 Copper 80# @ 2.80 $224.00
Clean Yellow Brass 18# @ 1.80 $32.40

Total $290.00

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is better informed.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  20:29:23  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by No82s

Aluminum cans 48# @ $0.70 $33.60
#2 Copper 80# @ 2.80 $224.00
Clean Yellow Brass 18# @ 1.80 $32.40

Total $290.00

Not a bad haul man. Not bad at all.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  17:42:37  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
#1 Cu 20lbs. @ $2.50 $50.00
#2 Cu 30lbs. @ $2.30 $69.00
#1 Ins Cu 75% 10lbs. @ $1.80 $18.00
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 272lbs. @ $1.35 $367.20
Au Radiators-clean 110lbs. @ $0.50 $55.00
Misc. scrap 20lbs. @ $0.07 $1.40
Total $560.60

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2