Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Mints on sealed NF String boxes
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3Saints
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  17:22:11  Show Profile Send 3Saints a Private Message
I have gotten a few boxes of 2009 from my bank...NF String boxes and the both mints are visible. Does the FED deliver bags to NF String that are mixed before being wrapped??? Or what other possible explanation is there. I opened a box and several rolls and each roll was the same coin LP3's but approx 40% P and 60% D mint.

Anyone else get boxes like these or are the boxes generally all one mint?

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  18:02:30  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Every one I ever saw was one mint only as far as I could tell.

Go to Top of Page

3Saints
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  19:30:53  Show Profile Send 3Saints a Private Message
I am about 75 miles from Philadelphia and NF String is in Harrisburg PA about 30 miles away so I figured all the boxes I'd be seeing would be the Philadelphia's.

Figured maybe they mix mints to screw up resellers.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  19:32:57  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
If anyone knows the answer to this one, it would be Master Yoda... uhhh, I meant Hoard

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:01:47  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
I've gotten a few boxes and so far they have been all 1 mint.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  22:22:18  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
It could certainly happen, but it is not common.. especially as deep into P country as you live. N.F. String does not roll the pennies. This is a common misconception. N.F. String sells rolls of automatic coin rolling paper and boxes for coin processors to use. You can go on their website and order these for your own use. The use of N.F. String and Son products is more prevalent in the east because of their propinquity to the coin processors there. Coin processors further west tend to use products from other manufacturers because of the high cost of shipping, but some do use N.F. String and Son products. If your boxes have a date stamp on them you will see that it probably has the name of the coin processor that rolled them, like CWI and a number. It doesn't happen often, but some coin processors could be getting coins through the Fed from both mints. They really wouldn't care much what mint was on them.. they just pour them in the machines and roll them up. Occasionally you will get new rolls with a few older coins mixed in. These are what I call "dirty rolls." This practice started decades ago to discourage the hoarding and reselling of solid date rolls. They just toss in random handfuls of circ pennies to contaminate the rolls. It could also be caused by leftover cents from a circ reroll still being in the hopper when the new cents are dumped in.

They are marketable.. but you need to discribe exactly what they are. Most folks prefer solid rolls or boxes of a single mint. The other option is to sort them all out by hand and reroll using N.F. String and Son Paper on an automatic coin rolling machine. May the force be with you.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  06:30:36  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
Use gloeves if sorting to rewrap
Go to Top of Page

3Saints
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  08:05:08  Show Profile Send 3Saints a Private Message
No date or identifier other than the "N.F. String & Son, Inc. Harrisburg, PA. 17104" inside double ring circle with 4879 stamped inside it kinda like the postal stamp.

Thank you for all the help.
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  09:55:45  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
3Saints check the in box for your PM's

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2