Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Cardboard Holders
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  16:36:50  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Whenever I find a Wheat Penny or an Indian Head or a copper penny in mint condition, I encase them inside those cardboard coin holders. I was wondering if any of you guys do the same, or do you think it is a waste of time, money, and effort?

george454
Penny Pincher Member

242 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  18:49:26  Show Profile Send george454 a Private Message
I encase them as well, however I go sparingly. I encase mint condition pennies, IH and mint wheats for collection and possibly future selling. Other than that they either get rolled or dumped in there appropriate bag. But thats me I have a hard time spending money on just any common date wheat.
Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:17:22  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message

I wouldn't put common wheats in those flips, just Injuns, better date wheats & errors etc.

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:30:27  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
I have thousands of coins in 2x2s. In sheets, in binders, in boxes. In stacks around the room. It helps when you want to add information, such as metal content, mintage figures, special sentimental meaning, error information, significance of the figure(s) depicted, KM#, grade, value, attribution information (especially on coins that you can't read and just spent an hour trying to figure out what it is)...
Let alone the obvious stuff like date, denomination and country, for quick referencing in a larger collection.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:42:23  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
if you have a bunch of coins in flips these boxes are great!

You must be logged in to see this link.

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:50:31  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
A coin must have a significant premium before I would put it in a 2x2 holder.

copperhead57
Go to Top of Page

marine70
Penny Pincher Member

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:12:42  Show Profile Send marine70 a Private Message
I put the key dates in the 2x2's at 2cents a piece I use them sparingly.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:14:44  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Where do you get em at .02?

I pay .04 now.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:23:17  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Wizard Coin Supply has them cheap.., until they add the shipping costs. Ouch, ain't such a deal anymore. Same thing with the other online merchants that I'm aware of.

I can get them locally for 3˘ each, plus 6% MI sales tax.

Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  14:32:04  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I don't use the 2x2 at this point I am just keeping the coin in containers for now. Maybe some day.
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  10:17:43  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
I put the counterstamped cents in 2x2's. I do put my S mints and wheat cents in those nice clear plastic rolls. With close to $1000 searched I still do not belong to the indian club.

http://rodebaugh.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  10:27:01  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rodebaugh

I put the counterstamped cents in 2x2's. I do put my S mints and wheat cents in those nice clear plastic rolls. With close to $1000 searched I still do not belong to the indian club.

Keep up the search, or increase volume. It will happen. Once I got my first one, then I got my next, and next....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  13:08:03  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
Thanks guys, I haven’t given up on the chance of finding one yet. I have ramped up my sorting from about a box/month to a couple boxes/week as of late. Using the "sort more" theory.

Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  13:32:00  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
I may be a bit on the reserved side for flip use. So far i've only been using flips for the errors, IHC's, and semi or key dates. All teens - 50's are usually left in cups or boxes until i've had time to run through them. I'm not sure how much the flips were for me. but i bought a large amount of half flips and use them for everything (not the dollars of course). I found the 20flip pages to be pricey.

I also put any s mints from post 74 into flips, along with proof coins from other denominations. Since i ran out of flips and pages, i've started taking the 40%'s out of the flips and putting them into rolls to free up space.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  14:42:51  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
My oraganization system consists of Ziploc bags and a toy safe I got from Cracker Barrel when I was little.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  14:57:52  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shattered

My oraganization system consists of Ziploc bags and a toy safe I got from Cracker Barrel when I was little.

That is Awesome!

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Edited by - JobIII on 02/16/2010 14:58:16
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  15:58:36  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
I keep my older wheats in a little egg-shaped bank my wife had since she was a baby; it's yellow and has "Baby's Nest Egg" written on the side. Very cool in my opinion. Recently my CWR's were prolific in producing 1950's wheats, so I sold them at the local coin shop for 2 cents each.
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  16:10:04  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
You should have sold them on here.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  16:14:32  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Wow 2 cents each that's a great deal for who ever was buying.

Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  18:10:13  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
If you buy 5000 or more from Brooklyn Coin Gallery, they will cost less than $.02 each. They advertise regularly in several coin publications.

copperhead57

Edited by - copperhead57 on 02/16/2010 18:15:18
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Penny Pincher Member

156 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  06:47:03  Show Profile Send Dave a Private Message
I buy the 2x2 holders for 3 cents each and there ain't no indians here in Western NY. Over $1000 serched.
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  07:25:16  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
My coin guy sells 100 cardboard 2x2’s in a red storage box for $4.00. This is awesome because you get the holders and a box to help keep the safe tidy and organized.

Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:09:20  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Dave, you need to sort more. I find about 1 IHC for every $1-2k sorted. Good Luck!

Go to Top of Page

G Powerbuck
Penny Collector Member

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:57:11  Show Profile Send G Powerbuck a Private Message
I'm almost at 2k sorted and I still haven't found my indian yet:( I keep all of my wheats sorted by date in plastic tubes. When I fill a tube I roll it and put it in my wheat box. I save 2x2's for red wheats, counter stamped pennies, and errors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2