Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Penny Sorter
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goodcoin
Penny Sorter Member

42 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  03:23:19  Show Profile Send goodcoin a Private Message
I'm new to the forum. I discovered your realcent site several months back while surfing the net and became a member last week. Very entertaining. As someone else quoted "copper the poor mans gold" I agreed. "If we had a coin, such as the penny, worth twice face value in metal, people would be picking thru their change so quick that within a Shanghai millisecond the coin would no longer exist in circulation. Just think what a handful of copper coins will purchase five years from now. I'm looking forward to saving copper pennies when I return to the States." I arrived in the States two days ago and purchased fifty dollars in pennies. Took me all day to sort. My twelve year old niece and ten year old nephew joined in with the fun. As we were sorting I was able to explain to them them the concept of speculation, bear and bull market, metal prices and supply and demand, percentages, inflation, currency fluctuation ...et al. They couldn't stop asking questions. We were looking at coin charts, metal prices, comparable websites, and when we found foreign pennies, the conversation went in a whole new direction. Afterward, I tested them on what they learned, and sure enough they had a pretty good understanding.
It's a great hobby. Sorting pennies by hand is time consuming. Considering the price of copper in todays market, now would be the best time to sort. Their is plenty of copper still in circulation to make it worthwhile to sort and store. After seeing a video on you-tube of a homemade penny sorter for under forty dollars, I was considering on making my own. Would anyone have a parts list or photos? I return to Shanghai in another week and would like to purchase the parts in China and during my free time attempt to assemble. If I succeed in building a unit, I can bring it back to the States and show my niece and nephew how to make one. They would be excited and with an instant sorter we can accumulate lots of copper in a shorter period of time. For numbers we had @ 25% copper and 75% zincoln. 19 wheaties and 12 Canadians. Looking forward to finding an indian head.

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  06:45:31  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Couple things:
Welcome to the forum!!!
Many have tried assembling their own penny sorters....not sure how many have had GOOD SUCCESS....may not be worth your money and TIME.
That is awesome getting the kids involved.
If you are hand sorting, it doesn't hurt to pull out the 1972 and 1984 (Philidelphia....ie, no mint mark) coins and check for the error varieties. 1984 has a double ear variety, and 1972 has a double die on the front, very obvious in the writing above Lincoln)

Good luck and have fun!!

PS... business or family take you there to China?

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  07:16:08  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I also say welcome to the fourm and hope you and your family many years of joy and fun while you sort copper.
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  07:29:29  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
goodcoin,

Welcome! That is a wonderful thing to do with your kids! Teaching them about coins, investments, and the markets gives you something to be proud of, knowing that many kids nowadays would be bored by all that. I wish you best of luck in your future!

Happy Hoarding!

Kirkland
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  08:24:10  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
Welcome Goodcoin, many have tried to make sorters. Most never come up with one that works. There is one that does work it is from Ryedale coin. Go to You must be logged in to see this link. take a look at it. Yes it is $500.00 but if you are serious about sorting at all you will pay for it in no time. It won't be long and copper pennies will be worth 2 cents each and once they get there and stay there, there will be less and less in circulation. The time to sort is now. Even if you only pick up a box or two a day and sort them on the weekends this machine is the way to go. It saves you so much time and you will keep at sorting on a more steady pace otherwise it gets to be like work if you have to sit there and go through 5 - 6 boxes every week by hand. I have one and it is the only way that I have as much copper stacked up as I do. I have run over 5 million coins through mine and it still works as good as the first day I got it.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  08:43:09  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Welcome goodcoin, I 100% agree with NDFARMER. The Ryedale is the way to go. $180.00 in pennies sorted in 1 hour. The only problem with the Ryedale is, once you see it in action, it is hard to keep feed. It is one hungry beast.

I am glad to see you are teaching the younger generation.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

goodcoin
Penny Sorter Member

42 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  22:25:34  Show Profile Send goodcoin a Private Message
Thanks for the note. I discovered a penny arcade at a local bank. The people weere very friendly. Maybe not so once they see all the pennies I return. Also noticed a couple of coin changers at the shopping center. I return to Shanghai on March 3rd. Looking forward to finding mint errors. No copper pennies in China so I'll have to wait till May for my next coin search. Lots of fun and an awesome forum!
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:54:51  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
be careful that you don't dump your pennies at the same bank you buy them from. They may 'cut you off' and say "can only sell coin to business customers" or start trying to charge you for the coin they give you.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

goodcoin
Penny Sorter Member

42 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  14:54:01  Show Profile Send goodcoin a Private Message
I went to the bank to return my pennies. Used the Penny Arcade. The teller asked me for my SS# for the payout. I guess if you don't have an account with the bank then you need to give them your SS#. Big brother.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  16:20:28  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
If you have the time and some money to spend i say try and assemble your own coin sorter. Just post a video and pictures of your finished model.

I have to chuckle when i read this, "Just think what a handful of copper coins will purchase five years from now".

I would have to stipulate that in 5 years a handful of change will still equate to a handful of change in purchasing power. The real question will be, what is the price of copper in 5 years.

Welcome to the forum.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  16:30:33  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
Get out, Quick. Copper coins are addicting and fun to boot, but once bitten by the bug you will see the reason for saving in sound money. If you don't stop now you will not be one of the good sheeple Uncle Sam likes. As you excersize your brian you could even get smarter and learn about banks and Wall Street. And . . .

Really, welcome, and good hunting.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

cuppoor
Penny Sorter Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  09:34:15  Show Profile Send cuppoor a Private Message
goodcoin, I'm new to the forum too. I've hand sorted 3-1/2 boxes so far with my wife in the last two weeks. I considered rolling my own sorter too and even got a few comparators off of ebay from members here who went down the same road. From my testing of them I can offer a word of caution about the cheaper machines you're talking about or about making your own. The comparators need to have the coins presented to them in consistent velocity to work efficiently and reliably. That is really tricky and it means you will have to have access to a machine shop with welders and plastic injection molding machines. I'm an electronic design engineer with a strong mechanical background and I quickly realized that it would take many 100s of hours to design a machine that would even come close to a Ryedale. Have you seen the videos? Time is after all money. I'm hoping the Fedex guy shows up today.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  15:49:43  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Time does not equal money. I don't know the formula yet, but they are not equal.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

goodcoin
Penny Sorter Member

42 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  00:30:53  Show Profile Send goodcoin a Private Message
I agree, time is money. It would be fun trying to build a copper/zinc penny sorter. If it's a failure I can always purchase a Ryedale. I'll need to bring a pocket full of copper and Zinc pennies to Shanghai with me. Does anyone know of a parts list for a simple set up. I like the video on youtube of a machine that was built for under $40.
Go to Top of Page

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  00:35:54  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
hehe,
the formula is V=(W((100-t)/100))/C, where V is the value of an hour, W is a person's hourly wage, t is the tax rate and C is the local cost of living.
So in fact, time actually is money. =D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2