Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 new to nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blacksheep404

12 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  11:52:34  Show Profile Send blacksheep404 a Private Message
I'm new here so pleae bear with me. I'd like to start collecting nickels for their metal content. When I buy them from the local bank, should I keep the nickels in their wrappers for easy counting, or break them open and go through them.

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  11:57:26  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Welcome to RealCent, blacksheep404!

It really is your choice what you do with the nickels. If you want to sort them to look for Buffalos and War Nickels or just keep them the way they are now is fine. Personally, I'd look through them and pick out the foreign coins, pre-1964 nickels, Buffalos, War Nickels, or other coins you might find. Whatever you do, be sure to have fun!

Kirkland
Go to Top of Page

blacksheep404

12 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  13:03:15  Show Profile Send blacksheep404 a Private Message
Thanks Kirkland.Sounds like good advice to me.
Go to Top of Page

Ponce
Penny Hoarding Member

Cuba
630 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  13:56:14  Show Profile Send Ponce a Private Message
And don't forget to pray to "Saint Ponce of the nickels" and send him one brick of nickels for good luck........ :).......I promise you that in 100 years your nickels will be worth $100.00 each.........or your brick back.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"...Ponce
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  14:06:57  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
ditto to Kirkland thoughts
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  14:09:19  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
You're just bad to the bone aren't you, Ponce? I guess maybe you'll have to refund him since you probably aren't right about the $100, huh?
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  15:17:32  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Welcome, blacksheep. Buy now, whatever you can afford.
Many here believe that in the near future, production will stop on the nickel, and they will quickly become difficult to find. So for now they just stockpile what they can, leaving sealed boxes sealed, and leaving sealed rolls sealed.
THEN, when and if the day comes that you can't just stop by your bank and pick up a box, well that's the time that everyone with all their sealed boxes will be opening them to see if there's any silver, etc.

I am a much different type. I collect coins mostly because of the fun. I couldn't stand having a sealed box, not knowing what else could be in there. Even one war nickel would be exciting. Or a pure nickel Canadian. Or one British sixpence... :) But yeah, I totally understand, that from the investment angle, it's a quick and convenient investment that takes very little time. No need to even open 'em up.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

blacksheep404

12 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:15:54  Show Profile Send blacksheep404 a Private Message
Thanks everyone for your help. And it's nice to be here.
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  12:05:23  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I wasn't a believer in nickel sorting until late last year when I took the plunge.

Personally for me, it is a lot of money to tie up to just buy $300 or $400 nickels a week and just put them away. I sort them for the pre-1960's, foreign coins, war nickels. I have found a couple of proof nickels and two V nickels.

I turn back in the post 1960's nickels so I can get more nickels to sort.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  16:59:14  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blacksheep404

I'm new here so pleae bear with me. I'd like to start collecting nickels for their metal content. When I buy them from the local bank, should I keep the nickels in their wrappers for easy counting, or break them open and go through them.

Its nice to have you. I don't buy more than $10 to $20 worth at a time, so I usually have time to sort. I have a coffee mug full of common nickels near where I sort, so that I can replace any pre-1960s, buffalos or silver war nickels that I find with those common nickels. I then re-roll all the common nickels and put them in storage.

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  19:03:37  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Welcome, newbie. After the first box of nickels that was solid buffaloes (some dealer going out of business?) I realized I could never top that, so now I don't even look anymore.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  23:51:13  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
I'm with uthminsta, PennySaved and theo. I just gotta look to see if there is any "treasure" in those rolls. Ditto with the pennies, though I now have an Ace Ryedale to take over for my fading eyes and stiffing fingers somewhat. However, someday I may have had enough with sorting or will have sorted enough or they debase the only US coin still made of "real" metal. At that time, I'll buy boxes to store away.

It's a jungle out there,

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  00:02:06  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
I currently have NO nickel stash. But I have been thinking about getting a ROLL of nickels each time I pick up my penny boxes. That would be all I can afford right now. At least with the pennies, I can tell my wife, don't freak out, I'm returning over 3/4 of it!!!

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

walt2727

3 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  20:35:39  Show Profile Send walt2727 a Private Message
I finally joined up after months of lurking and a heartfelt thanks to all of you who provide information (and entertainment) for the rest of us.
I've been "buying" the nickel rolls every few weeks when our secretary rolls coins from the vending machines. So far, 2 war nickels out of $40 searched.

Walt
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  20:50:45  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
welcome aboard walt !

thats a good percentage of war nicks found.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunner
Penny Collector Member

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  21:01:53  Show Profile Send Roadrunner a Private Message
Good goin' Walt! 2 War Nicks out of $40 is great! And Welcome to one of the best sites on the internet!
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  22:05:14  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
thats better than what I have done
Go to Top of Page

walt2727

3 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  06:45:40  Show Profile Send walt2727 a Private Message
Blacksheep404
keeping them for the metal content (survivalblog) is what lead me to find the realcent forum. It seems that i'm doing what a lot of others are suggesting. i.e. sorting out the buffalos and war nickles.
I put the "rest" away for the future (whatever that may be)
I keep mine loose in a 5 gallon bucket,although i'm in the process of sorting them by decades.
Walt
Go to Top of Page

goodcoin
Penny Sorter Member

42 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  07:25:00  Show Profile Send goodcoin a Private Message
Whenever I get nickels in my change I put them aside. Every now and then I will pick up a few rolls of nickels to search for a buffalo, Canadian or silver war nickels. Nothing yet but it’s sure fun searching. The day I find a buffalo in my change I will be very excited. With the way the dollar is going, I have a feeling the copper cents and nickels will be out of circulation sooner than you think.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  21:32:33  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I don't even take them out of their boxes. There will be time enough for sorting later.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  00:11:57  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
nice going on those two silver nickels!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked