Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Solid Copper Rolls!!!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  00:56:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I picked up 60 rolls of pennies on a drive-by today. So of course I couldn't wait till tomorrow to start sorting them. I was leisurely opening rolls and dumping them in the Ryedale when I noticed a lot of shiny ones in the hopper. I thought wow, there sure are a lot of zincs in these rolls. Then I thought, hey, that's not shiny zinc color, that's shiny copper color! I had heard of other members getting solid copper rolls before but it had not happened to me. I started looking at the rolls before dumping them.. and not only were several of them solid copper.. but they were bright firey red BU coins as well!!! They were wrapped in normal red and tan flat rolls just like all the other pennies.. no writing or anything on them. After I hand sorted these out I ended up with 39 BU copper rolls!
1959 - 1 Roll
1959-D - 22 Rolls
1960 - 4 Rolls
1960-D - 7 Rolls
1961 - 1 Roll
1961-D - 4 Rolls

The circ stuff yielded 195 coppers including 13 wheats for a copper percenage of 71.67%!!! Best percentage I have had in a long time. I love BU red copper cents!

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  01:15:32  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
WOW!! NICE Score!

Yeah, that would be super cool BU Copper is truly a beautiful thing!!!

Never gotten more than an occasional BU copper myself though.

Coin dealer getting rid of excess inventory? How does that happen? Set back 45 years ago by grandpa?

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  01:24:53  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
It almost looked like somebody set down and started rolling up rolls out of a mint bag. I have never gotten anything like this before either.. and I sort a lot of pennies! I still have to check them for OPM/RPM varieties and small dates.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  02:04:57  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
On a side note:
I offered to buy these from Hoard at his advertised rate of 1.6XFace plus shipping.

He said something about limited amounts available and he'd get back to me! ;D

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  05:49:31  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
To bad that they were not solid silver rolls.

Edited by - dakota1955 on 02/13/2010 12:08:57
Go to Top of Page

george454
Penny Pincher Member

242 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  06:15:29  Show Profile Send george454 a Private Message
That is a great score Hoard. The solid copper rolls are nice. I had a small streak with them a year ago or so but never of the BU variety. Right place right time. Good job maybe all four roll of the 1960 will be the small date variety.
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  06:58:32  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
Great find. I would say you are lucky, but I know that volume has more to to with it than luck.

Last year, I hit on a similar thing. I believe that it was a small time collector that had passed away and rolls of his coins got dumped. They were old rolls, all the rolls were dated and had the guys name on them. Teller said that she had had them for a while and was waiting for someone to give them to. All of them were varieties of 1960.
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  07:09:15  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Great find, indeed! I once had solid copper rolls at a local bank, but not all BU!
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  07:43:50  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I picked up four cents in change yesterday from a purchase. Three were coppers... for a percentage of 75%!!! Wanna swap? (you dog!)

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smartinson
Penny Collector Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  08:57:33  Show Profile Send smartinson a Private Message
Good for you! Always nice to get that many CU at one time. My last box had 98 BU 1973 throughout the rolls. I thought the old Rydale was messing up. Congrats!
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  09:23:51  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
What do you guys do with you BU cents?

Do you keep all the ones with mint luster or just the clearly uncirculated ones(no scratches, dings ets)?

Do you sell them seperatly?

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  09:32:40  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
Way to go Hoard. That will never happen to me because I only get bags. There are some advantages to getting rolls.

Thogey, I do keep the BU ones I that I find. I have a couple 5 gallon pails full. Someday I will have to separate by date and mint. That will take a while. Probably won't happen until the copper percentage gets low enough that it doesn't pay to search for copper anymore.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  09:33:01  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
When I was sorting, first glance all the 60 and 60-D rolls were large dates.. but I still need to check them coin by coin. I think there is also something special to check 59-D's for.. I will have to check my notes.

I bought all coins of every demonimation they had yesterday.. so I don't have to worry about follow-up much.. but I am still going to stop by Tuesday with some rolls of pennies to swap just in case they held a small amount of rolls back for the tellers to use as change.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  11:45:00  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Good score man. Good things happen to good people, hehe.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  11:54:49  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
Awesome find. Hope you get some small dates in there.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  12:05:19  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
That is sweet. Nothing like getting all copper rolls.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Edited by - slickeast on 02/13/2010 12:06:00
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  12:25:13  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
I have been seeing a LOT of BU pennies from 1957-1962.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

cesario
Penny Pincher Member

129 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  12:48:49  Show Profile Send cesario a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

When I was sorting, first glance all the 60 and 60-D rolls were large dates.. but I still need to check them coin by coin. I think there is also something special to check 59-D's for.. I will have to check my notes.

1959-D/D/D RPM.
Go to Top of Page

TXTim
Penny Hoarding Member

629 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  14:39:15  Show Profile Send TXTim a Private Message
It's about time!
Congrats!!!

Beer is my currency.
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  14:54:42  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
To answer thogey's question of what we do with BU coppers, I usually put them in those cardboard 2X2's if they are nice enough.
By the way, HCBTT, how in the world do you pick up 60 rolls at a drive through?! My banks hesitate to send 20 rolls through there.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  15:14:22  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Thanks cesario!

Glad you are seeing a lot of those early BU's highroller. I'm sure they are going to a good home hoard.

kirkland.. They apologized for only having $30 in pennies for me. They also had 44 rolls of quarters for me, but there were no silvers in that. I stop by this particular branch a couple of times a week at lunch and take whatever CWR they have piled up. This is where I got that roll of nickels with the 31 Buffalos and 5 silvers in it. By taking everything of all demonimations I make them really happy 'cause they never have to ship any coins out.

Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  18:35:31  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kirkland

To answer thogey's question of what we do with BU coppers, I usually put them in those cardboard 2X2's if they are nice enough.
By the way, HCBTT, how in the world do you pick up 60 rolls at a drive through?! My banks hesitate to send 20 rolls through there.

He did a drive by. That means he stopped in a bank to see what they had. He went inside. They didn't send them out through the tube.

Drive By - This is means stopping at banks randomly. This is just to see if they have anything that someone brought in.

The other reason to stop is to pick up your order. This is not a Drive-By.

I hope this clears things up.

Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  18:41:36  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Oh, sorry. Didn't see it that way. Thought he meant a drive through. I couldn't imagine getting $30 in a drive through!

Edit for grammar.

Edited by - kirkland on 02/13/2010 18:42:04
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  18:52:51  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
You can get $30 at a drive thru. In FRN's.

Sorry that was too easy.

Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  00:53:29  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
Congrats Hoard! I also got a sold copper box in January 2009. They were all mixed though, no BU rolls like that. Great luck and keep searching. Do you still have a roll of LP4's for me? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  08:48:13  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Congrats on the great find, HCBTT!!! Glad you are getting them found now so they can get out of the paper rolls before damage results.

I just came across quite a few rolls that had said BU on the wrappers but by the time they reached me, the pennies were no longer red but the inside of the wrappers had turned red through the chemical reaction.

My books list the 1959D as being worth 50 cents each if they are in MS-63. That's way higher than any of these early pennies except for the 1960D small date.

I also have the 1959D with the RPM listed as well as another error that lists a possible D in the date. It states that the remnants of a possible "D" mintmark showing as a "bar" within the second "9" of the date.

Hope this info helps.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2