Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 Currently Circulating World Coins Forum
 Cerulean's "What is it?" foreign coin ID thread
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  08:07:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
have a 1954 greek 2 apaxmai(drachma)...is it silver?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  12:29:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I think what you have is a Greek 2 Drachma. KM#82 These were minted from 1954-1965. Unfortunately there is no silver in it.. it is made of CopperNickel. Approx value 50 cents.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  17:25:56  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
thats it hoard thanks.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  18:02:54  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Anybody know the composition of a 1971 25 Cent Nederlanden (Netherlands) coin? I am pretty sure that it is nickel because there is no tarnish on it, but I want to double check.

Oh and if you ever get a chance to find a Belize 1 cent coin like it did the other day I promise it will jamb your Ryedale. The darn thing has wavy edges...

Edited by - horgad on 06/20/2008 18:03:52
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  00:06:45  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Not knowing dutch makes finding info on that 25 cent piece hard, but I did see a referance to melting them down for the nickel in 2002 (Euro intro).

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  08:36:50  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by horgad

Anybody know the composition of a 1971 25 Cent Nederlanden (Netherlands) coin? I am pretty sure that it is nickel because there is no tarnish on it, but I want to double check.

Since 1948, Dutch 1 and 5 cent coins were bronze, and 10 and 25 cent coins were nickel. Silver 1 guilder coins were minted until 1966 and silver 2.5 guilder coins were minted until 1968; both were replaced by nickel. So sayeth Wikipedia.

Now, can anybody tell me the purity of Dutch silver coins?

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  15:41:25  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Okay, one of my new coin show finds.
Smaller in diameter than a dime. Looks like copper. Not sure what side is the front or back. On one side there is a crown top center. Under it the words GUSTAF VI ADOLF.
Below that line is a line that reads, SVERIGES. Under that line, KONUNG. There are two tiny coats of arms below that line.
Other side has a 1 in the center that splits the date in half (1958). Crown above the 1. ORE below the 1. That's it.

I have another one, but I can't even begin to describe it....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  19:46:55  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Okay, one of my new coin show finds.
Smaller in diameter than a dime. Looks like copper. Not sure what side is the front or back. On one side there is a crown top center. Under it the words GUSTAF VI ADOLF.
Below that line is a line that reads, SVERIGES. Under that line, KONUNG. There are two tiny coats of arms below that line.
Other side has a 1 in the center that splits the date in half (1958). Crown above the 1. ORE below the 1. That's it.

Does it look like this? If so, it is a Swedish 1 ore. Composition I'm not so sure about.

Photo courtesy of Don's World Coin Gallery, which has an EXCELLENT coin ID database. (If you guys like it, consider kicking him a few bucks -- You must be logged in to see this link. )

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  19:48:49  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

I have another one, but I can't even begin to describe it....

No, describe it! DESCRIBE IT!

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  21:43:35  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
You are correct Ant. I'll try to describe it. Don't laugh....

It actually looks gold. I realize it probably isn't. On obverse is a clean-cut Asian? Arab? with glasses on. He is in a military type uniform with medals on it. Writing is to the left and right of him. It is not Japanese or Chinese. Looks Arabic like, but not quite. It is "blockish" writing. On the reverse there is what looks like a coat of arms with all kinds of things going around it. Horses holding spears? Towers with sun and rays between them? Writing above, to the left, and to the right. Below the mess of action are letters or numbers that I think represent the date.

There you go. Good luck.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  22:00:56  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
Dude, I am so laughing at your coin.

I accept that coin as a personal challenge!

Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  22:10:05  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
Does the guy look kind of like this?

ETA: If your coin is Thai, it might be made of "nordic gold" -- an alloy of copper, zinc, aluminium and one other thing I can't remember.

Edited by - Ant on 07/12/2008 22:30:18
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  08:54:40  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Close. I think the writing is the same although your coin has much more writing on it. The man looks similar, but he is facing left on my coin. The reverse is similar, but not quite. I can see that my "towers" are probably trees. No elephants on mine. Looks like horses or something standing on their back legs, holding spears.... The thing the elephants are holding up is different on mine though. Close, very close.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  09:37:09  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
Like this?

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  09:54:09  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
That's it! Do you know anything about it? Nice job.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  10:06:25  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
It's a Thai 5 satang, issued in 1950 and made of aluminum-bronze. It's interesting because it is one of the few coins that has somebody (King Rama IX, a.k.a. King Prajadhipok, King Bhumibol Adulyadej) wearing glasses on it. There were 15.5 million minted.

There are a couple of auctions on eBay for them. They seem to run around $1 or $1.50. Another nice find!

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  10:44:01  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Thank you for the info. Not a bad weekend at the coin booth if I do say so myself. And I do....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  20:39:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I got an interesting one in change yesterday. It's a 2003 People's Republic of China 1 jiao coin, with the current design, but made of aluminum. Granted I haven't lived in China for long, but I've never seen one of these. It's usually 1991 aluminum or 2006-2008 steel. Is this some kind of error? My Google-fu is not strong and Wikipedia isn't clear on this.

(First post! I've been lurking for a while though.)

I'm not gone, I'm just lurking.
Go to Top of Page

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  20:59:32  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
Just as an FYI guys, this site is great for coin pictures if you know the country:

You must be logged in to see this link.

www.londongoldbuyer.com
Go to Top of Page

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  21:09:08  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
And if you do not know the country, this helps:

You must be logged in to see this link.

www.londongoldbuyer.com
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  13:13:48  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
The Chinese 1 jiao coin is aluminum 1999-2005, and steel 2005-present.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  18:48:36  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Damn. I wonder why you never see these around then.

I'm not gone, I'm just lurking.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  19:23:08  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
ironpoptart, welcome to the site. China huh. I think that makes two.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  01:58:52  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Reviving old thread. Sorting Canadian Quarters looking for varieties (Canadian Provinces mostly) and we found:

Arabic writing, exact same size as a US/Cdn Quarter, Silver color like a quarter.

Face is man looking left, but at an angle, not like Jefferson or Washington. Clean cut guy, no head gear, with clear collar and tie. Arabic script on both sides of head.

Reverse is coat of arms with crown on top, two lions? supporting it, kind of a horseshoe shape supporting the crown with a 5 pointed line drawn star below a series of rays like from the sun. Ribbon with unreadable script below coat of arms. Demonination is "1". date is double dated - 1969 (western) 1389 (islamic system).

Solved my own question - Morocco 1 Dirham features His Majesty King Hassan II of Morocco. CuNi

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog

Edited by - jadedragon on 08/24/2008 02:40:27
Go to Top of Page

magnasort
Penny Pincher Member

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  11:00:36  Show Profile Send magnasort a Private Message
Found a Tanzania 1989 Senti Hamsini 50 in the take a penny tray at gas station. Looks like a nickel with reeded edge, rabbit on back, profile guy on front.

Magnetic sorters, no moving parts except the coins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2