Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Good Possibilities, I Hope--Stats--PICS Added
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  17:06:49  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Well, today, needing it more than ever after an unpleasant doctor's appointment, I went to the bank to swap out my 13 rolls of pennies that I had gone through this past week.

Another teller walked over to the teller that was helping me and said that they had a BUNCH of old pennies turned in by a little old lady whose husband had died and he had collected or saved coins or just pennies, not sure. I swapped out my thirteen rolls and went to car, thinking the entire time about all similar posts I had read about on here and all advice given about such possibilities. I told my husband and gave him a few dollars more to go and see if he could get the rest. He called me to come in to bank and I had to really scramble to find enough cash to buy as many as they would allow me. They said they had to keep some to have for their other customers as they were out of pennies, except for these. I think there were about 260 or more rolls. As I said, these were bought in three separate transactions by me, my husband, and then both of us so I am not totally certain how many there are. BUT, this nerd already has her notebook ready to keep track of the number of rolls and hopefully how many wheats, old Canadian and please, oh please, at least one IH penny that I might find.

I am sending up a prayer that in all these rolls I can finally find one IH penny. If not in these, then I doubt that I ever will. We had quickly looked through two rolls in the car as one split open from dry rot and opened another. Saw just a couple of wheats and that old pretty Canadian penny that has the bird on the back of it. So, everyone do the IH dance for me as I can't with my poor balance and just wish me luck.

Looking through these old coins will be a much needed distraction over the next few days/weeks and it appears that it was heaven sent. We shall see.

Enjoy.

Posted this picture here in original post and have posted more pictures later on in this topic.

Edited by - PreservingThePast on 03/15/2010 11:33:17

pennyman
Penny Pincher Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  17:51:05  Show Profile Send pennyman a Private Message
wow. Sounds like its going to be good. Let us know how it goes and post some pictures too:)

Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  17:52:31  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Happy hunting for the next few days.
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  18:22:33  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PreservingThePast

...as one split open from dry rot...

That can be a good sign. So far 2 rolls and 2 wheats, sounding good so far.

And yes, post pics of the good stuff you find.

Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  08:35:41  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
I took pictures of the rolls. Haven't been able to get to library yet to see if I can figure out how to post them. Hopefully later.

I counted the rolls when I took the pictures and there was 277 so I wasn't too far off in my earlier guess of about 260.

So far I have searched 52 of these rolls. Hopefully when it is all done I can give better information, but it has been by far the most interesting rolls I have ever gone through.

They are the cleanest I have ever handled. My fingers don't come away grungy like they do after handling other rolled coins. I won't say that they are really cleaner looking than others nor are they pristine in their condition yet there is something different about these coins.

In my head I am beginning to write a little story line for this guy who had collected these coins for so many years. I say "collected" as in I believe he was a gentleman that saved every penny he received in change and rolled them as soon as he had 50 to make a roll. Only the one roll of 1973D in a roll that had printed on it Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio was different in this way.

So far of the 52 rolls I have searched the newest penny has been a 1997--I've been able to get a few nice shiny pennies for the kids' birth year coin projects.

Also, as of this moment I have found 27 rolls that had nothing newer than 1976 pennies.

Here are some more stats for those of you that enjoy this sort of thing:

Nothing newer than 1970--two rolls
Nothing newer than 1971--two rolls
Nothing newer than 1972--two rolls
Nothing newer than 1973--seven rolls
Nothing newer than 1974--seven rolls
Nothing newer than 1975--five rolls
Nothing newer than 1976--two rolls
Nothing newer than 1986--two rolls
Nothing newer than 1993--two rolls
Nothing newer than 1994--six rolls
Nothing newer than 1995--three rolls
Nothing newer than 1996--nine rolls
Nothing newer than 1997--three rolls

Normally, I do not keep such detailed notes on the rolls I search, but this really has me intrigued! I truly believe that he would roll these pennies as soon as he reached 50 and then would put that roll into a small box. Many of these rolls have come unglued and I have had to reroll them in newer wrappers.

There have been 51 wheat cents so far with 1925 being the earliest and 1958 being the newest. I have also found 35 Canadian pennies so far in this search with the oldest being 1940 and the newest being 1972.

There have been twenty S mint marks so far from the 1960s and 1970s. Also, one of the wheats is an S mint mark.

As I have the opportunity to sort more, I'll bring you up-to-date if this is anything else interesting that I find.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

george454
Penny Pincher Member

242 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:23:00  Show Profile Send george454 a Private Message
This is all penny sorters dream, cant wait to here more. Good luck on the IH hunt as i still have not found my first, but still have my fingers crossed for you.
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:34:20  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Here hoping you will find your IH
Go to Top of Page

Heavy Metal
Penny Sorter Member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  11:34:02  Show Profile Send Heavy Metal a Private Message
If you come across this again and they won't let you have the pennies because they are short,let me know. I can get you all the rolls you need.

Ever notice how it's a penny for your thoughts, yet you put in your two-cents? Someone is making a penny on the deal! - Steven Wright
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  18:32:59  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Here's hoping I can post some photos. Everyone cross your fingers for me!!!

Picture of the Federal Reserve Roll

Photo of most of the pennies.

Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  18:40:49  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
nice score and great looking pics....I haven't scored any CWR's in 3 weeks or so. Wish I could find some. Good luck on the search....nothing older than 1916 for me.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  21:27:19  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
I think I see some Beanie Babies playing with pennies. My mother collected those for a long time...

Here are the bigger versions:

Nate
The Copper Cave

Edited by - natsb88 on 10/09/2009 21:28:16
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  21:48:58  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Uh, what's the brown one doing to the box? Just lookin' over I bet....

Deal

p.s. I see a foot.

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  23:27:09  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Can't believe ya didn't have them sorted through in one night! I remember when I got my first 5000 bag of wheats I sat there until the whole thing was sorted.Boy did my neck and eyes hurt lol

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

smartinson
Penny Collector Member

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  23:42:27  Show Profile Send smartinson a Private Message
WOW! Isn't fun to get a really, really good surprise. I recently lucked upon 115 rolls of solid coppers and I know how you feel. Congrats to you and hope you find some really good ones in your rolls. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  17:15:59  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Uh, what's the brown one doing to the box? Just lookin' over I bet....

Deal

p.s. I see a foot.

Yes, those are two Beanie Babies we still have from my son's small collection from his younger days. I had to plop down on the floor to be able to lay out the rolls and to take the photos so I just put them there to oversee the picture taking since I don't let our real Kitty Babies near the coins.

And, yes, that is a foot belonging to me and a cane over my foot so I could get back up off the floor when I had finished taking photos and had put all the rolls back in their boxes, bag, etc.

I wish I could sort faster, but with my eyes I just can't do it. Plus I have been busy doing some crocheting lately as I had a commitment to crochet/ship some dishcloths.

Today was the last day of my husband's vacation for now and after taking me to a store to buy me a new mouse, we went to a photo and hobby store to see if they would have anything that would allow me to see the coins easier, but they didn't. They had a small, pocket-type microscope but I couldn't even see the coin with it. Tried a couple of other magnifying devices and nothing worked any better than what I am using already.

It really has been interesting going through the rolls that I have so far. I have been able to find quite a few of the birth year coins for the two projects that I am doing so that has been nice. And, I love finding the older coins like the wheats and the older Canadians. There have actually been some coins older than me.

No IH yet, but that's OK as I am enjoying looking through the rolls.

I've taken quite a few rolls back already to the bank to turn back into cash as I used money I need for something else down the road. I know you all find that shocking, but I just am not able to hold on to them right now. So, I am doing a "catch and release", minus the wheats and the older Canadians, and the birth year coins. So the copper pennies are, or will be, back out there for you all to find. I am making note of how many copper, etc. for my stats and will post those again when I am finally finished searching through all of the rolls.

Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  17:29:18  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
I am with you on hard to see....I use a mag glass and as bright of light I can get. Daylight is the best for me but most of my sorting is at night....150w bulb then. Instead of the bank go to the post office and mail the coppers to one of us.

PM me for what you can sell and I will send you a USPS money order for your troubles.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  08:30:28  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Update on one of the rolls I searched Friday night from this large (to me) lot of pennies.

One roll contained 16 decent wheat cents and one very damaged wheat. The damaged one looks to me like two wheat cents glued with their reverses together--I can't separate them. One side showed 1952 D and the other side showed 1952 S. That really saddens me as I come across so few S wheat cents down here in Florida.

They ranged in date for these 16 wheats from a 1930 to a 1958D. I was excited over this find.

I still have more rolls in this lot to search. Can't move on to any other rolled pennies until I finish these because of my very detailed notes I am keeping on these particular rolls.

Enjoy, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  08:53:41  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Skip the IH, I'm doin a 1909 s VDB dance for ya!!

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  10:09:22  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
try some alcohol to get them apart, sometimes vinegar will also work.

Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  10:17:14  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kurr

Skip the IH, I'm doin a 1909 s VDB dance for ya!!

Thanks!!! Better have someone around me that could do CPR if that were to happen.

Hospital ER: Do you have any idea what could have prompted these chest pains? Anything stressful in your life lately?

Me: Nothing stressful, just the opposite. Found a really good penny!

Hospital ER: A penny, huh??? She's strange!

Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  10:19:00  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fb101

try some alcohol to get them apart, sometimes vinegar will also work.

Alcohol: As in medicinal like rubbing alcohol? Or, were you referring to the stronger stuff?

Thanks for the tips.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  17:17:55  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
276 Rolls Sorted from one large lot:

Seven Rolls were shorted

Four Rolls were over

Other Found: 1 - 1987 Dime, 1 - 1990 Dime, 1 - 1968 Dime, 1 - 1982 Foreign Coin (SVERIGE ORE), and 1 - 2000 “Wide AM” Penny

Wheats: 207 plus one damaged wheat [which consists of two wheat pennies glued (???) together--1952 D/1952 S]; Oldest - 1929, Newest 1958 -- one S wheat other than the one damaged penny

The best roll for wheats was twenty-six in one roll which was one of the "nothing newer than 1970 rolls".

Canadian: 134 total with oldest being a 1940 and the newest being a 1985

S Mint Marks: 47 ranging from 1968 - 1974

1985 Birth Year Pennies: Best was 15 in one roll

1987 Birth Year Pennies: Best was 17 in two rolls

Breakdown by rolls:

Nothing newer than 1970 - 7 rolls
Nothing newer than 1971 - 5 rolls
Nothing newer than 1972 - 11 rolls
Nothing newer than 1973 - 17 rolls
Nothing newer than 1974 - 18 rolls
Nothing newer than 1975 - 7 rolls
Nothing newer than 1976 - 5 rolls
Nothing newer than 1977 - 7 rolls
Nothing newer than 1978 - 6 rolls
Nothing newer than 1979 - 0 rolls
Nothing newer than 1980 - 8 rolls
Nothing newer than 1981 - 9 rolls
Nothing newer than 1982 - 14 rolls
Nothing newer than 1983 - 10 rolls
Nothing newer than 1984 - 4 rolls
Nothing newer than 1985 - 5 rolls
Nothing newer than 1986 - 9 rolls
Nothing newer than 1987 - 6 rolls
Nothing newer than 1988 - 11 rolls
Nothing newer than 1989 - 9 rolls
Nothing newer than 1990 - 11 rolls
Nothing newer than 1991 - 6 rolls
Nothing newer than 1992 - 12 rolls
Nothing newer than 1993 - 11 rolls
Nothing newer than 1994 - 7 rolls
Nothing newer than 1995 - 12 rolls
Nothing newer than 1996 - 10 rolls
Nothing newer than 1997 - 16 rolls
Nothing newer than 1998 - 11 rolls
Nothing newer than 1999 - 8 rolls
Nothing newer than 2000 - 4 rolls

One roll in the 1973 count was an all 1973 D Federal Reserve Roll from Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Ohio.

Sadly I did NOT find any IH pennies.

Surprisingly there wasn't a 1943 steel penny either.

Searching this large lot of pennies turned in by one person was the most interesting, intriguing search I have done so far. So much so that I kept much more detailed notes than I normally do. Hopefully, I didn't make any typos and the above roll count should equal 276 rolls. I had originally counted 277 rolls, but when I went through them I discovered that one roll was one of my marked rolls and I must have gotten that one back when I swapped out for the 13 rolls I got originally before looking them over and going back inside to get the rest of the rolls that they would allow me to get.

Hopefully I can get somewhere soon that I can have access to high speed to post a few pictures of the pile of wheats, Canadians, and S Mint marks that I took.

I had kept the wheats, Canadians, and S mint mark pennies from this search in a two cup plastic container. It was filled up to just above the one cup line--heavy too!!!

Enjoy your searches, everyone.

Edited by - PreservingThePast on 11/26/2009 17:39:25
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  09:33:04  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
I wasn't able to get anywhere yet that had high speed internet so I could post the pictures I took of the wheats, Canadians, etc.

Don't give up on me. Maybe the end of this week I can get somewhere with high speed so I can post some photos.

Enjoy your searches, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:25:08  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
I added a picture in my first post today that shows the container that all of the good stuff from my search fit into and the little cats are guarding it for me.

Here is a picture of the coins laid out for a better idea.

Sorry it has taken me so long to finally get somewhere to try to post these photos. But remember the old adage: The slow tortoise did beat the hasty hare. I'm definitely the old, slow tortoise!

Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:38:28  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
PTP i know you don't sort with a ryedale, but if it's any help with figuring when you'll find your first IH penny. I have found at least 1 any week i sort over $1000 dollars worth. Keep in mind these are not CWR's they are boxes of brinks or NF Strings.

I guess it also depends on where you are in the country, but i would like to say with some certainty, an IH can be found if you sort 100,000 pennies.

Nice number of Doves!

~JobIII

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:43:46  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message

I don't have the container in front of me but I think it was over a measured cup full of wheats, older Canadian's, and other good stuff that I found.

Sorry, again, that it has taken me so long to get somewhere with the time that I could upload these photos to a hosting site and then get them downloaded here, or whichever way they are loaded for posting. You know how I have with computer stuff and computer terminology. Pretty Pitiful!

Hope you can enjoy these and thanks for being so patient.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2