Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Built me a coin sorter !
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  19:40:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
For $37.98 in parts, I have built my own coin sorter. It will work with any coins,but for now I am using U.S. pennies as a test. (copper vs zinc)

It is in NO way as nice or fast as Ryedales’, but it suits my purpose for now and beats doing it by eye !

I can sort 2.5 rolls a minute with a manual feed and I hope to improve on that with an automated one soon.

Edited by - n/a on 04/12/2007 19:53:01

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  23:25:29  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
Cool, what properties of the coins is it testing?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  07:29:55  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by psi

Cool, what properties of the coins is it testing?

Coin selecting is done by placing a "sample" coin in the detector and it uses the diameter, thickness, and compositon to compare.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  07:50:38  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Did you gut an old vending machine or what? Please tell. I would love to throw something like that together for that price.

Edited by - horgad on 04/13/2007 12:01:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  12:31:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by horgad

Did you gut an old vending machine or what? Please tell. I would love to throw something like that together for that price.

The key component is the comparator ... got mine on EBAY here.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Went to Radio Shack for the 12v power supply, built a simple frame from plexiglass and your in business.
Go to Top of Page

Ridewithme38
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  13:07:27  Show Profile  Send Ridewithme38 an AOL message  Send Ridewithme38 a Yahoo! Message Send Ridewithme38 a Private Message
I've very surprised this can tell the difference between copper and none copper cents...i'm going to have to buy one and test it out this is an awesome product

RUNNING TOTAL: APROXIMATELY..
6000 Copper
158 wheat
63 canadian
1 Guatemala coin?(1979)and a 250gram .999 pure copper bar(Jetco USA)
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  15:00:42  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Ahhh...yes I remember looking into those at one point, but I was worried about how hard they might be to wire up. Now that you have proven they are easy to connect to a 12V DC power supply, I am going to have to explore that path again. I assume that there was only two wires to connect (positive and negative) and the rest was building something for it go in?

Also I am curious if this or the Ryedale machine would be able to find war nickels vs. regular nickels?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Ridewithme38
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  00:57:25  Show Profile  Send Ridewithme38 an AOL message  Send Ridewithme38 a Yahoo! Message Send Ridewithme38 a Private Message
can anyone with the ryedale machine tell me if this is what he uses in it? I'd love to see some internal pics of his machine...maybe even some part numbers =)

6002 Copper
158 wheat
63 canadian
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  07:46:14  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
"love to see some internal pics of his machine..." Ryedale posts here. I don't think reverse engineering his machine would be kosher. ;)

Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  07:53:31  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Bonpecheur,

I ordered the same comparator from the same guy yesterday. I searched the internet and everything I looked at was $100+ new, so I don't think his price can be beat.

While I wait for it to arrive, I am brainstorming ways to build a cheap manual or semi-manual coin feeder for it. I will let you know if I come up with anything. I don't really want to buy a coin sorter/counter unless I have to.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  08:23:04  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Let me know what you come up with !

A few suggestions for when you start to build your own. Make sure it's a stable platform, there is a built in "feature" that causes coins to be rejected or jammed if the comparator is moved around to much. Also .. you are gonna have to play around with the sensitivity control and speed control as well.

BP
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  10:07:03  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Lol watch out Ryedale here comes the competition...$150 for a complete sorter!

Found by BonPecheur:

Go to Top of Page

Ryedale
Administrator

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  13:16:33  Show Profile Send Ryedale a Private Message
quote:

Lol watch out Ryedale here comes the competition...$150 for a complete sorter!

Found by BonPecheur:

GOOD GRIEF What is "complete" about this "sorter"? Uses file folders you have to cut out yourself, supply your own feed system, no power supply, no precision feeding mechanism no counters, no chutes etc. You get what you pay for I guess. This is simply a....brace yourself.......COIN COMPARATOR.
So I'm thinking..what price are people willing to pay for a sorter, ready to go, etc, but one that is lacking counters, and a pretty red box? I can make a bare bones sorter that is functionally the same as the Coin Artist, but there is a Bill of Materials in anything that is manufactured.
What is the price. The BOM on the Coin Artist is quite high, and it is hard to eliminate key components. I am open for suggestions, but have some Ideas already. My machine is quite simple, but performs the function extremely well. My customers are very satisfied with it, get huge smiles on thier faces when they see it run, especially after hand sorting. They use the word "love" and "happy" and "awesome" when describing it after the first few minutes.
I know some people are hung up on how a product looks, but lets say in the spirit of hoarding coins, that function over-rules form. How about I make a machine called the "Coin Ugly" instead of the "Coin Artist". It uses the same tech as the Artist, but it's loud (one free set of earplugs included at time of shipment) , sorts at over 300/min and is safe to use. but simply drops the sorted coins off the table edge into buckets. Were talking a turn key plug and play product, I can probably have these units developed and ready inside a month. (everything takes longer than you think in manufacturing.) OK and to spice it up. if you ever want to upgrade to the Artist, you can send me your UGLY and the components can be installed in your enclosure, and you pay the difference (sort of a-la-cart)
Lets hear it. Name your price and I will see if it can be done. COIN UGLY OR BUST Ryedale.

Ryedale

Hoard Copper Pennies,
The market will develop

Edited by - Ryedale on 04/18/2007 13:19:18
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  14:03:26  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Just to clarify I was being sarcastic... I agree 100% that the Flea-Bay item looks like an overpriced used coin comparator. After looking at some component prices, I think the Coin Artist is priced fairly. Unfortunately, it is out of my price range and I am forced to try and rig something up myself.

I am going to try and cut corners by rigging up my own coin delivery system to a coin comparator. I have all expectations that what I come with will be much slower and jamb more often than the Coin Artist, but I have a couple of ideas that revolve around taking advantage of the fact that the coins that I am sorting come in rolls (or stacks) and not in random piles.

If I or you can take advantage of the stack factor, I think a far cheaper delivery system can be made. Unfortunately, it probably involves a custom component as I doubt there are any components out there that are made to deliver a stack of coins one at a time down a chute.
Go to Top of Page

Ridewithme38
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  14:16:07  Show Profile  Send Ridewithme38 an AOL message  Send Ridewithme38 a Yahoo! Message Send Ridewithme38 a Private Message
I think the coin artist is an AMAZING machine! I'd LOVE to own one! I've only seen it in use on youtube but what it does and with the grace it does it can't be beat...no question for high scale sorter or small scale company yours is the best product anywhere....
Unfortunatly for people like me and some others who can only afford to sort about $100 a week and wouldn't be able to afford much more then that your machine is very unobtainable...
so you mention the coin ugly Would this be just a feed system and comparator this would amazing! i bet these would sell out like hot cakes!!
Advertised as "The Everyman Cent Sorter!" Where even the meekest copper harvester can buy it! I'm very interested in this product Ryedale and would love if not sub $100 to be around that range

EDIT: just did the math..Sub $100 probly isn't possible..you know what i would love from the ryedale company..if you could buy the machine kind of part by part to build yourself..honestly i'm a very poor college student with a 17 month old daughter so putting together $500 at one time is nearly impossible for me but if i could by say the case for $100 and the feed for say $75 and the returns for $75 then by the comparitor later on for say $200 i'd be very very happy

6002 Copper
158 wheat
63 canadian

Edited by - Ridewithme38 on 04/18/2007 14:24:43
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  17:53:08  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
"what price are people willing to pay for a sorter"

$100-200 bucks max. $500 is too much, maybe people like nice counters and etc, I'd just like to sort pennies
and not pay an arm and a leg.

"Preserving coinage by the pound"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  20:49:24  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Ryedale,
I couldn't agree more with horgad ! Your coin sorter is amazing ! A true "Rolls Royce" of coin sorters.

I think that there is a large market out there for a "Yugo" however. You could build a volume business out of a lower cost version, and in turn, make more money in the long run.

Once people get hooked, I am sure you could up sell them over time.
Go to Top of Page

MaDeuce
Penny Pincher Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  10:10:49  Show Profile Send MaDeuce a Private Message
Andy,

You might want to consider making a "Yugo" model that does not have the automatic feeder. The auto feeder would be replaced with a coin slot that people would drop coins into manually. I don't know if it would get the cost down as low as everyone would like, but it might be an option that could be considered.

I agree with BonPechur -- the sorter I got from you is awesome. I would never consider feeding the coins manually, as I don't have the time or the patience for that. However, some people clearly do -- more power to 'em.

MaDeuce
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:15:29  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
I built my cheapo, half automated, half manual coin sorter this weekend. The sorter consists of a simple work bench with a coin funnel and a coin comparator build into one side. The top of the work bench is waxed and the funnel entrance takes up an entire short side the bench. To sort (think air hockey) the rolls are opened and the coins are dumped on the bench top. One hand flips over head side up pennies while the other flings pennies into the funnel.

The total cost to build it was about $32 dollars (coin comparator and a sheet of plexiglass), but that doesn't include the "free" parts that I was able to scrounge from around the house (lumber, screws, and a power supply).

The total time for opening rolls, searching for wheaties (flipping 50% of the pennies), and running the coins through the sorter twice is 40 rolls per hour. I am fairly sure that I could manage 100 rolls per hour if I didn't search for wheaties and if I didn't run the coins through twice. The comparator is not super acurate and after the first run through the zincs have about 1-3 coppers in them per 100 zincs. Maybe if I upgraded the comparator, I would not have to run the coins through twice...

I also made plans for an automated feeder into the funnel, but I am not sure when/if I will implement it.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:07:28  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:

The total time for opening rolls, searching for wheaties (flipping 50% of the pennies), and running the coins through the sorter twice is 40 rolls per hour. I am fairly sure that I could manage 100 rolls per hour if I didn't search for wheaties and if I didn't run the coins through twice. The comparator is not super acurate and after the first run through the zincs have about 1-3 coppers in them per 100 zincs. Maybe if I upgraded the comparator, I would not have to run the coins through twice...

Sounds like a great home built budget system. One suggestion.. if you were to do the flipping/checking for wheats after you sort out the copper you would only be flipping 12.5% (25% copper/2) of the coins.. might speed up the process a little.

"Preserving coinage.. 2 tons at a time"

HoardCode0.1:M48/14USCA:US1Cu639700:US5Ni2400:CA5Ni46
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  13:54:57  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
"if you were to do the flipping/checking for wheats after you sort out the copper"

That is definitely worth a try. However, I would probably lose about one in 5 hundred or so wheats that mistakenly go in the zinc pile:) Darn coin comparator is just not that accurate. Also before I did the timed trial, I had a two kids helping me with flipping, flinging, and opening rolls. Then I was really rolling...

Strangest thing I found this weekend in 2+ boxes was a Australian 5 cent coin...which happens to be the same size as a US penny.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  14:04:49  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Hey BonPecheur,

I was wondering how you have your coin comparator setup and what kind of accuracy you are able to get out of it? I tried setting it up with a zinc penny at first (zinc to the good side and reject everything else), but even with the sensitivity turned all the way down it was rejecting 10% of the zincs and close to 100% of the coppers making a very "dirty" pile of copper and a "clean" pile of zinc.

So, I switched to a copper penny with the sensitivity all the way down and it rejects 1-3% of the coppers. And accepts maybe .5% of the zincs. So I run the zincs through again to capture the 1-3% that it missed the first time and I leave the coppers dirty (.5% zincs). I debated cleaning up the coppers, but decided it was not worth effort. I may stop rerunning the zincs too at some point. Any thoughts?

To Everybody (like Coin Artist Users),

I was wondering if a different more expensive comparator would give better results? How accurate is the Coin Artist for example and are you running coins through multiple times?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  16:04:41  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hey Horgad,

It took me a while with the right combination of a sample coin and fussing with the sensitivity. I don't feed mine in as fast as you, so that might be adding to your inaccuracy rate. I have done several manual validations and am getting near 100% accuracy. (albeit took a few days to get the sample/sensitivity/speed setting right)Also make sure that the comparator is stable and level.

I am SURE that Ryedale's machine uses a more expensive comparator. But for the price of what you put this together for, your accuracy rates sound very acceptable to me.

BP

Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  19:36:42  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
The Ryedale machine is pretty darn accurate.....but it has modified/special electronics. It also uses an industrial grade coin feed mechanism that has a very specific and consistant feed rate that can be adjusted. Lastly, it has some specially molded plastic coin feed devices and a plate that slows the coin before it enters the evaluation section of the machine....overall the entire system works together...and results in excellent processing.

I've further modified my machine in the sensitivity area by replacing the variable resistor "pot"- makes for easier adjustment/tuning the sensitivity.

I just crossed the 500,000 count through my machine.....in about 3 more month I'll meet my first goal.....1 ton of sorted copper....should just about fill a 55 gallon drum.....I've put a pretty good dent in it in just the past 6 weeks....in fact, added 200# over the weekend!

Good luck on your project and experiments.

Edited by - c140cessna on 04/23/2007 23:04:24
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:32:29  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
Ryedale just announced 2 new models targeting a lower entry price. $150ish for a manual feed and $299 for a stripped down hot rod version of the $600 big red box I currently own...

I travel a lot on business....and I drive to a lot of little towns...where I often score pennies....I'll probably buy the manual machine to give me something to do at the hotels in the evenings on my overnight trips.....

Has this become an illness for me?!?!? You bet....and a little portable machine for sorting on the road is just the cure I needed.....

SORT ONWARD!

Edited by - c140cessna on 04/25/2007 08:34:20
Go to Top of Page

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  16:53:19  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
First time post. Hi all (especially c140 and Ryedale).

I am a recent purchaser of a Ryedale machine (hi Andy). I have been running Canadian nickels through it since I bought it, in excess of $5000 face value so far. It is an EXCEPTIONALLY well built and well thought out machine. Instead of reinventing the wheel, buy one. I am extremely happy with mine.

Edited by - fasTTcar on 04/25/2007 20:05:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2