Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Hobo Nickel collecting
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  22:21:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
anyone here collect Hobo Nickels if so i'd really like to see them have a post of there own. so please if you have them show them off.

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  05:49:05  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
What is a hobo nickel?

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  10:55:45  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I found one on a trip and paid $35 for it. When I went to look it up it looks like I have one manufactured by a machinist later.

Sorry, I don’t know how to upload pictures nor do I have a digital camera so it is a mute point.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.

Edited by - Cody8404 on 02/27/2009 10:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  11:03:54  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
Hobo Nickels were mostly made during the depression years.

Hobos would take a nickel, buffalo nickels, and scratch a different face or other design on them and use their skill of taking the nickel and making it a piece of art to trade for items they needed.

Many are very pretty. There is a lot of information out there, just need to look for it.

Here is a pretty good article.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  11:40:37  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
That's pretty nice.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  15:10:44  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
here a 1 more place to see some great carvings You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  21:52:33  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
I've always loved the idea and look of hobos, but have never bought one.

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  05:53:29  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by vrbsroma

I've always loved the idea and look of hobos, but have never bought one.

where do you find these to buy?

its a shame that hobos today are so much less artistic.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

copper cane
Penny Sorter Member

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  09:02:44  Show Profile Send copper cane a Private Message
Hobo Nickels are fun to look at but sometimes expensive. I also wondered if there was such a "modern day" thing as a Hobo Penny. Found a site and ordered some for the little ones. The pictures are great and it was the first time I also saw a Hobo Quarter and Dime. Since this is not advertising just sharing a site I hope I am not violating any rules by giving the ebay address. Just promise not to buy all the Hobo Pennies as the little ones want more!!! On second thought, go ahead and buy them out!ha NYMIKE3.com. enjoy
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  09:36:19  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
There are a few people who use coins as a medium, but I once "Googled" "hobo nickel" and found a few sites. There was a story about the original creator, too. Here's what I found just now:

Apmex has a Potty Trade Dollar that's interesting:

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  12:31:34  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
VRB, The potty dollar is too funny! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if there aren't some artisans out there who are still making some of hobo nickels today?
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  13:02:10  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ChangeisWelcome

VRB, The potty dollar is too funny! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if there aren't some artisans out there who are still making some of hobo nickels today?

todays hobos are a lazier than they were in the old days.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

G Powerbuck
Penny Collector Member

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  14:04:03  Show Profile Send G Powerbuck a Private Message
I got one from my uncle. Its carved on the front, theres a guy with a nice beard and a hat on and there the buffalo is turned into a hobo with a bag. It says Frank Dreyer 90 Jay St Newark NJ on the side. I tried looking him up and found nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.06 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2