Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Changing the metal composition of the nickel
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  00:01:33  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
I read on Wikipedia that the Canadians have been using 94% steel in their coins for about ten years. I have a few and they look pretty normal. So how long will it be before the U.S. follows their lead with the nickel if not all the coins. I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  01:24:15  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I'm just as surprised.I'm sure they have something planned

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  16:53:25  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
They tried to do it last year. Since metal prices have come down, they don't feel such an urgent need to do so.
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  08:54:54  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
I dunno when but they are going to do it

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  06:20:26  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
The change to steel in Canada involved some serious technology developments in dipping processes. I'm sure the US could buy the rights to the technology from the Canadians - or outsource to Winnipeg like 40+ other countries already do.

Canada started phasing in steel plated coins in 2000. All current coins below $1 are steel plated now.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  08:39:02  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
Please. "Technology". They made 1943 steel pennies, right?

The only issue is Congress doesn't ever think straight. Spending more than necessary has become their mantra. And the savings of a meager few million. Why bother when everything under 100 billion isn't worth mentioning any more.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  12:03:12  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by barrytrot

Why bother when everything under 100 billion isn't worth mentioning any more.

At the risk of sending Ol' Ben to spinning in his Earthly slumber:
A 100 billion Cu pennies saved is going to be worth a lot more!

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  13:41:26  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by barrytrot

Please. "Technology". They made 1943 steel pennies, right?

1943 pennies were banged out of galvanized sheet. The edges were raw steel, so they began to rust almost immediately and looked terrible in short order.

The Canadian coins are plated afterward, so they don't suffer this problem.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  14:50:54  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

The change to steel in Canada involved some serious technology developments in dipping processes. I'm sure the US could buy the rights to the technology from the Canadians - or outsource to Winnipeg like 40+ other countries already do.

Canada started phasing in steel plated coins in 2000. All current coins below $1 are steel plated now.

I have a couple of the steel pennies and a steel dime. You can kind of tell they're not copper, but I have a difficult time telling them a part from the zinc coins they were minting in the late 90s.

I think the Canadians switched to zinc pennies in 1997 (similar to our current pennies); but then they switched to steel in 2000. I wonder why they didn't just stick with the copper until they could move to the steel. Switching metal contents and production processes twice in 4 years had to have been expensive.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  18:48:11  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I've found that the RCMint switched back and forth between zinc and steel on the pennies over several years. Perhaps due to changing metal prices and based on the rolls of metal in stock.

Remember the US switched to zinc in 1982 - Canada reduced the weight on the penny instead and held off switching to zinc till 1997. RCM did not invent the plating process until late 1999 and did not perfect it till part way through 2000. I do not think it is a great cost for the mint to switch over composition - they make coins for many countries with many compositions.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  20:59:54  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:

I've found that the RCMint switched back and forth between zinc and steel on the pennies over several years. Perhaps due to changing metal prices and based on the rolls of metal in stock.

Remember the US switched to zinc in 1982 - Canada reduced the weight on the penny instead and held off switching to zinc till 1997. RCM did not invent the plating process until late 1999 and did not perfect it till part way through 2000. I do not think it is a great cost for the mint to switch over composition - they make coins for many countries with many compositions.

Interesting; thanks for the info. Do any countries outsource their minting to the U.S.?
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  13:27:02  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
It appears the RCM was using both steel and zinc 2002-2005. Of the many Canadian cents I've found, I have zinc varieties dated 1997-2005 and steel varieties dated 2002-present. This is determined with a magnet.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  13:36:49  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by theo

quote:

Interesting; thanks for the info. Do any countries outsource their minting to the U.S.?

Currently no, but in the past yes:

You must be logged in to see this link.

The RCM generally has a history of doing more outsourcing, but I am soure what if anything they are currently making:

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

faithnotwork
Penny Pincher Member

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:38:14  Show Profile Send faithnotwork a Private Message
Mint won't need to change the metal content, since most of these coins will no longer be used. I would think ANY coin with ANY metal content is worth saving. Better than paper.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  04:42:10  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
To Horgad's question: I learned while touring the Winnipeg facility that the RCM makes many coins for many countries currently. They said 40? countries right now maybe... India is a big customer that was mentioned. I've read Fiji and of others. The RCM does complete coins for some, and blanks for others that want to strick them in country.

This might explain the sometimes new looking non-Canadian coins that show up in some of my rolls.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2