Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Liberty nickel
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marklarpants
Penny Sorter Member

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  21:52:06  Show Profile Send marklarpants a Private Message
While checking the war nickels i bought i found a liberty nickel.

1907, 101 years old! what's this thing worth?

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  21:55:07  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
Depends on the shape but its a common date. Most dealers around me pay 50 cents for them

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

marklarpants
Penny Sorter Member

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  22:06:24  Show Profile Send marklarpants a Private Message
Sounds like a broke even with that nickel, too bad i had 4 other nickels that werent war nickels.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  23:47:23  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
You now have something special.
Think of it as finding a fossil while hiking or a piece of petrified wood while walking on a beach.
You have something neat to show off and (hopefully) an interesting story to go with it.
Congrats on such a rare find!

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  11:13:47  Show Profile Send gothboi30 a Private Message
I found an 1883 no cents liberty nickel Friday night while searching a $100 Brinks box. I started a thread that has scans of the coin. My online research leads me to believe this one (the 1883 no cents) would fetch between $9 and $12 in vf condition. As for your 1907....no idea.....why not take it to a dealer and get it appraised?
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  12:05:32  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marklarpants

While checking the war nickels i bought i found a liberty nickel.

1907, 101 years old! what's this thing worth?

Very cool find! Too bad old coins can't talk and tell us their individual histories. That would be somethinbg to learn everywhere a coin traveled, what it bought, etc.

Continued success.
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  12:24:04  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
Anyone who sorts coins regularly might consider getting a "Red Book" - they are available at any coin dealer shop and many large book stores. They come out every year and list the current collector market value for all US coins in every condition. Hardcover is like $16 - worth it especially if you deal with a lot of Morgans or other coins with "key dates". It could be the difference between parting with a $1,000 coin for 50 cents or not.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

aaron239
Penny Collector Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  20:06:09  Show Profile Send aaron239 a Private Message
^^Agreed with above post + a book on the basics to coin grading would be an excellent Christmas present from someone (make sure you get the hint out).
Go to Top of Page

aaron239
Penny Collector Member

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  20:08:00  Show Profile Send aaron239 a Private Message
Also, buy the spiral bound copies. Especially if money is tight in your household like in most nowadays (or to save more money in reserves for hunting).
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  16:48:55  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
congrats on your find

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  13:31:38  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
You can usually grade circulated liberty nickels by the headband that the lady is wearing. It says 'LIBERTY'. How many of the letters are legible and how sharp they are determine the grade. I'd recommend You must be logged in to see this link. from the Coin Community's Coin Facts section to assist in grading. Once you have an idea of the grade, I'd look at the You must be logged in to see this link. for a rough idea of value. You can also check eBay's completed auctions. Keep in mind that a dealer will pay you much less.

-wheatiefan

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2