Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Non Magnetic Canadian nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steiner
Penny Collector Member

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  00:51:28  Show Profile Send Steiner a Private Message
We have been using a tool which is on an arm about 18" long and it has a pivoting magnet on it. This helps pick up stray nickle around the Royal Sovereign and the Ryedale quickly.

We found that certain nickles minted in the 1980 to 1990 would be non magnetic????

We have about 25 so far of different years.

Any one else?

Steiner

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  08:08:31  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Because they are made of cupronickel.

Go to Top of Page

dpwozney
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  10:24:32  Show Profile Send dpwozney a Private Message
The 1982 to 1999 Canadian nickels (and some minted after 1999) are 75% copper and 25% nickel and are therefore non-magnetic. Technical aspects of Canadian circulation coinage are available You must be logged in to see this link..

"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts." (Haggai 2:8)
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  08:29:26  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
dpwozney hit it. Run them through the Ryedale to prove it - . The RCM went heavy into CuNi in 2006 nickels too.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

L1011
Penny Collector Member

310 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  18:39:33  Show Profile Send L1011 a Private Message
Legacy, do you find many Ag coins in circulation in Canada? Do you know if people go to banks and buy boxes/Bags of coins looking for Ag?
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:04:40  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Ag in rolls of dimes and quarters is simalarly rare like it is in the US. While my wife was looking for all the commemertive quarters (many varieties) she found one Ag one in 1000's worth! I've scored a few silver dimes over time too. We can't do 1/2s really, so it is not too productive to look for silver.

The real benefit to searching dimes and quarters in Canada is to pull the American ones and then use or deposit them in the US - benefiting from the 20% exchange rate. I set up a US account just for that where I really only deposit US coin found in the wild. I like getting my money for a 20% discount. The VERY occasional silver coin, as well as some international coins is just a nice bonus.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  01:39:28  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
Steiner, when you mention nickels 1980-1990 being non-magnetic are you just using rough numbers? I've always assumed that all 80 and 81 nickels are the .999 type.

Also legacypac, I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm interested in discussing exchange rate sorting further. I couldn't find an existic thread on that topic so I started a new one: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2