Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Nickel Shortage
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  00:56:29  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
Picking up some pennies at one of my regular banks the other day. Thought I would buy some nickels to supplement my penny drought. Lead teller tells me they are having trouble getting nickels and they could only spare me one box, anyone else noticing this problem?

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  01:03:40  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
after 666 of nickels , i give up. id rather stop sorting.

as a nickel sorter. . what do you keep?

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  09:07:56  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wheeler_dealer

Picking up some pennies at one of my regular banks the other day. Thought I would buy some nickels to supplement my penny drought. Lead teller tells me they are having trouble getting nickels and they could only spare me one box, anyone else noticing this problem?

I haven't bought nickels since I reached my metric ton + goal so I can't say. But it the local banks want to take them off my hands at face + 10% I'll deliver.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  09:19:45  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

quote:

I haven't bought nickels since I reached my metric ton + goal so I can't say. But it the local banks want to take them off my hands at face + 10% I'll deliver.

They are already boxed and ready

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  14:56:34  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I would be happy if I could get a full box of nickels from every bank I ask at. Nickels seem to circulate much less then dimes and quarters, and banks here do not stock very many as a result.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  18:19:19  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

I would be happy if I could get a full box of nickels from every bank I ask at. Nickels seem to circulate much less then dimes and quarters, and banks here do not stock very many as a result.

The nickel shortage is only because you Canucks already hoarded half of them.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  18:33:09  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
quote:

No shortages or problems here. I can get all the nickels I can stand.

Go to Top of Page

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  19:47:09  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I am aiming for all of them. Well, only the pure Ni's, you guys can keep the cupro's.

www.londongoldbuyer.com
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  21:35:11  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I feel your pain. I'm also Nickelless.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  01:21:06  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

I feel your pain. I'm also Nickelless.

I saw you posted in this thread and just knew it would be a good post

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  15:08:49  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I have noticed retail shops not having enough nickels. Some have even rounded to the nearest die and had not cents or nickels.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  17:32:51  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Unlike copper pennies, U.S. nickels wouldn't take any sorting to hoard on a mass basis. But at 50% of melt who would be doing so now? Other than me that is.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  18:16:18  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I thought the only nickel shortage was in Ohio... and Ardent induced.

I have quite a few Cdn CuNi coins still, but I dumped all my US nickels stateside because I could make an immediate exchange rate gain (I get them all out of my Canadian nickel rolls). Figure I can go buy more US nickels if I really want them later.

Still trying to decide if I should wrap up and deposit the rest of the Canadian CuNi. I can't profit of them at the moment, and maybe years before I can. Maybe better to put the money into sorting out pure Ni and pulling the US nickels for the exchange rate gain. I might be the only one holding Canadian CuNi right now.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  19:37:40  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
quote:

I thought the only nickel shortage was in Ohio... and Ardent induced.

I have quite a few Cdn CuNi coins still, but I dumped all my US nickels stateside because I could make an immediate exchange rate gain (I get them all out of my Canadian nickel rolls). Figure I can go buy more US nickels if I really want them later.

Still trying to decide if I should wrap up and deposit the rest of the Canadian CuNi. I can't profit of them at the moment, and maybe years before I can. Maybe better to put the money into sorting out pure Ni and pulling the US nickels for the exchange rate gain. I might be the only one holding Canadian CuNi right now.

Are there any banks in the Seattle area that have a CoinScan® or other coin counter in the lobby? If so, the machines should take the Canadian CuNi just fine.

I would be scarfing up every CuNi Canadian nickel I could get my hands on and dump them in the U.S. while the gettin' is good.

Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  21:23:16  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Nickles dont circulate as much becuase if the right change is available you will never get more than 1 at a time!

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

Dan52
Penny Collector Member

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  15:55:11  Show Profile Send Dan52 a Private Message
Cwgii, I keep the buffalos, war nickels (1942 - 1945)Note: some 42's are not war nickels. It has to have the mint mark above Monticello. I keep 1938's and 1939's with or without mint marks. I keep 1940 - 1949 with mint marks. I just found my 21'st war nickel. You may want to google "war nickel".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2