Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 90% Junk Silver selling cheap on EBAY
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

478 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  18:07:36  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Lots of "slicks" (90% worn out coins) selling on EBAY for below the silver value they hold. I just saw 15 Standing Liberty "slicks" sell for less than $30.00 total including shipping.

50 Mercury dimes are going for $48 to $50 delivered. Seems to be an endless supply.

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  09:53:52  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
It would be interesting to see how much these weigh. Since they're probably worn dateless, there would be no numismatic value, only silver value. I remember seeing a few dateless standing liberty quarters, and I was amazed as to how thin they were worn. The low weight of the slicks (and the associated uncertainty of that) may be why they're discounted on flEaBAY. Otherwise, it seems silver on EBAY tends to go for over spot.

If I get my hands on some slicks, I'll weigh them and post the results. (I have access to some good laboratory balances).

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  10:27:48  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Metalophile:

I have a qwestion for you.

If I wanted to use Archmedies principal to assay something as small as a coin, how would I best do that?

If I use a graduated cylinder that is big enough for the coin to fit inside of, the result is not very accurate.
If I use an accurate cylinder, it is too narrow for the coin to fit.

Do you know the name of an apparatus that would have the accuracy reqwired to distinguish between let's say a 24 karat ring and a 20 karat ring using Displacement?

I've considered buying a chemical test kit, or an electronic one, or a simple displacement type.

Thanks for your time.

A billiard ball dropped from 1,362 feet (height of the South Tower) in a
vacuum would require 9.22 seconds to hit the ground. How then did the
towers collapse in 10 seconds and 11.4 seconds, and why has not one
member of the mainstream media insisted on honest answers from the
government in this regard?

"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy
so monstrous [that] he cannot believe it exists."
- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:52:21  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
I don't have a good answer for you. Anything which is designed to measure volume accurately will probably have a narrow neck. Now, if you had a gold chain, I'd say fill up a 100 ml volumetric flask to the mark with pure water, then drop a gold chain in, and carefully pipet the water over the mark into another container and weigh.

I'm not familiar with the chemistry behind test kits a coin dealer or pawn shop owner might use, so I don't know how well they'd work at distinguishing between 24 karat and 20 karat.

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  12:25:14  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I can imagine a device that connects two cylinders via a small hose or direct glass connection.
One cylinder would be large enough to put the specimin into.
The other cylinder would be very narrow.

If one put an object into the large cylinder, the height of the water in both cylinders would rise in unison.
This device could be calibrated to account for the difference in cylinder sizes.

When I search the glassware provider's web sights, I don't see anything like this.

Maybe this doesn't exist because it is impractical. Maybe there is not enough demand. Maybe displacement is not important to people. Maybe I'll have to build my own.

In order to build my own, I need cylinders that are hose connectable near the base.
I can't even find these.

Thanks for your time.

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

478 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  17:50:40  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
There are also bent and dinged 90% selling on EBAY for 25% below the silver value.
Old worn Canadian stuff is going dirt cheap and I think they have a higher silver content than US coins did up until a certain date..

No shortage of worn coinage on EBAY. Thousands of listings ending daily with some real bargins to be had. Just saw 20 Standing Liberty quarters sell for $37.00 delivered. 20 bent and dinged Mercury and Roosevelt dimes went for $15.50 delivered. Take out the seller fees and they are being sold well below the value of the silver. I know slicks are thin but these seem to be pretty good deals for bullion buyers.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  18:42:43  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
THis is a very intereseting topic.

Thank CuproNickle for bringing it up.

Melt value is only important to people who actually melt OR are able to get someone else to buy for melt value.

At my local coin shop I was told that they could not get anything melted in lots of less than $10,000.

So from the point of view of the coin shop, he has to accomeulate $10,000 worth of melt silver and then send it off.
Since time is money, he looses money until the actual melt takes place.

If a coin is recognizible however, he can sell it as a coin.

Let's say that I bring in some decent looking but circulated dimes.
He can sell those dimes as dimes at the mark rate for that day.
I bought my 90% dimes, qwarters, and halfs at 4.4 times face value in 2005.
I don't know what the markup is today.

Let's say that I brought them in and the ask was 5.5 and the bid was 5.4 times face value. He would give me 5.4 times face value for my coins and sell them for 5.5 times face value.

Let's say that he had to melt them in order to get his money.
He's have to accomeulate $10,000 dollars worth and then ship it (UPS Ground??)
He'd have to wait until the job is complete. Meanwhile he doesn't benefit from having anything in inventory in case a buying customer walks through the door.

So I wonder if a 25% discount is about right?

The only way to know is to get some in your hand and walk into a coin shop and see if they will buy them or try to take them to a melt shop and see if they will buy them.

If you find out the answers to these qwestions, the community here at realcent would LOVE to hear about it.

Thanks for your posts

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  08:24:40  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
I think that most Canadian silver coins are 0.800 fine. Since the market for Canadian silver is thinner there's probably a larger spread between bid and ask, and more likely to be a discount to spot.

Another source of scrap silver is sterling silverware, 0.925 silver , which also usually trades at a significant discount. Part of the problem I think is taking someone's word that the silverware they're selling you is solid silver and not plated or weighted. I think most knives have a different material for the blades, and some larger items are often hollow and weighted, adding more uncertainty.

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  14:41:03  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Re: silverware - you can usually read some sort of mark on the silverware that'll tell you if it's sterling or plated.

As for Canadian coins, they were sterling (.925) prior to ... um ... 1923 I think, and then .800 after that.
Go to Top of Page

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  15:32:20  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
Here's a site on Canadian silver coins I found after a quick search:

You must be logged in to see this link.

There are also some transitionary 50% silver pieces made in 1967-1968.

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  17:25:03  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Just a thought, maybe a good use for silver from e-bay

Melt down the coins yourself and sell coin silver jewelry or ingots.

Granted, the furnace isn't cheap, but it is cheaper to buy a furnace and silver coins that to save up $10,000.00 worth.
Silver, like almost all metals can be hammered into shape. You could make your own hand made silver jewelry, something out of the ordinary as a gift or to sell.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 12/13/2006 17:29:31
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  21:25:58  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I wonder if we need a new thread on MORPHOLOGY.

Ingots
Lumps
Discs (coins)
Wire
Artifacts (spoons)
bars
etc.

I'd be interested in following a morphology thread, but I don't have a much expertise.

I'm still working on my copper "coin" or Slug or Blank project.

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  21:41:07  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Keep us posted Athiest.
Hand made copper tokens sounds like a neat thing to own and make.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

478 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  21:51:48  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Early Canadian Silver coins (slicks) are .925 silver and are selling for LESS than U.S. 90% on EBAY if you look long enough. The world is overflowing with untapped sources of silver and the prices on EBAY prove this. Silver is a bust. In my opinion of course.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  11:33:16  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
CuproNickle:

Your view is contrarian. I love to listen to contrarian views whether I agree or disagree.
I'm assuming that the lack of silver is real, but I would really appreciate hearing the other side of the arguement.

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

478 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  17:55:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
If and when silver is REALLY in demand, you will see full page ads in the newspaper, TV commericals and the roving gypsy type metal dealers setting up shop in hotel rooms like they did in the late 70's early 80's. I was just a teenager then but I remember going down to these guys and selling all of my 40% half dollars that I got from my paper route. They were still sort of common back then and while I can't remember the price they gave me, I do remember I was very happy with the transaction.

As for now, silver sources are too abundant to list. The 10,000 plus daily EBAY auctions selling silver for below melt value proves this. If you're going to buy it, buy it .999 or don't buy it at all. Just my opinion of course.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  19:16:14  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Are any of those 10,000 ebay auctions selling .999?

I agree with you that .999 is all I am interested in buying.

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

478 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  21:02:37  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message

Right now there are 11,380 USA listings for "silver bullion".

If the link above does not work, try You must be logged in to see this link. and type in "SILVER BULLION"

Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  23:27:52  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
CN;

No suprise. Yr economy down there is f#$Ked. People are selling what they can to make debt payments, esp. around christmas time. I have watched silver on eBay for quite a while and yes, there are always good deals because ebay is actually pretty bad about matching buyers and sellers, so you can beat the spot market. Also, listings and transactions are very different. Many many listings don't end in transactions. Anyway, I think the pile of silver available cheap there now is pretty seasonal.
Go to Top of Page

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  23:59:34  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
Yep, you have to look at the final prices for completed transactions on flEaBAY. Also have to factor in shipping charges. I did a quick search on Canadian silver quarters, and most lots were just a few quarters. Shipping eats you alive if your purchase price is $16, and you pay $5-$6 shipping on top of that. Not worth the bother.

Anyway, I did find a couple of whole rolls for sale and put them on my watch list.

I dug up a few "slicks" standing lib quarters from my collection. I'll try to weigh them and post the results. These slicks aren't too bad. Some have vestiges of dates, and with chemical treatment you could probably read the dates.

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  00:55:37  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message

Here is an article that goes through both supply and demand information about silver.
It may be biased, but even so, there's a lot of info here.

The article addresses the notion of "grandma's cutlery".

If the price were high enough, people would trade in their jewelry, spoons, trophies, etc. in order to pay the rent.
But if it is WIDELY accepted that the dollar is falling, people might wish to hold onto these and sell their piano instead.

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  01:16:55  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
everyone sold grandma's cutlery to the hunt brothers in the eighties. And they melted all that into Engelhard bars.
Go to Top of Page

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  11:25:35  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
OK, as promised, the average weight of my dateless Standing Liberty quarters was 5.83314 grams. 90% of that is 5.249826 grams. A Troy ounce is about 31.1035 grams, so each quarter is about 0.168786 troy ounces. Four quarters is 0.67514 troy ounces. Most dealers in 90% count on each dollar of face containing 0.715 troy ounces. The slicks come out to 94.4% of that.

Just for kicks I also grabbed four XF-AU half dollars and weighed them. After the same treatment I got 0.724 troy ounces per dollar of face value, or a bonus of 1.2%.

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  18:57:14  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Wow - that's more than I would have guessed, but it makes sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2