Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members
 Sorting halves what to look for
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pennyman
Penny Pincher Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  15:03:30  Show Profile Send pennyman a Private Message
What years do i look out for us half dollars. I know 70 and earlier. I am new to sorting halves. Thanks alot

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  17:54:17  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
??? You answered your own question.

glad I could help

Edited by - fb101 on 09/26/2008 17:55:38
Go to Top of Page

pennyman
Penny Pincher Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  18:42:21  Show Profile Send pennyman a Private Message
Is that it or are there are any other hard to find dates for the clad? I went through 25 rolls and found 2 1968s so far
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

146 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  19:21:17  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Question - I don't really know, as I've never sorted rolls of halves*, but why would people care about the 40% halves when they can't be melted? Same with the WWII Nickels - I don't get it, unless it's for collecting purposes.

* Actually, I've only sorted quarter rolls for bicentennials, and only because I used quarters frequently at that time, ordering boxes of coins and regularly ordering rolls is still on my agenda after over a year of being on this forum. I do have a lot of copper wheat ones saved since I was little, though, and have been saving regular pennies again since May-June.

THE Red Blade
Accept No Substitutions!

Save the trees.
Use REAL Money!
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  19:25:34  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
My apologies, I didn't get that since I only care about silver now, and even at that I fell short.
I've found both unc and proof silver coins of different years. They're always S mints, so any S mint is a keeper, if it's not silver, it's a proof. If you're side scanning the coins, they'll stick out just like the 1960 dates. Some people have mentioned some other scarce clads, but I cannot recall which. I've found every clad already. In the coin books,'83, '86, '87, and '88s all have a slight premium, but only in unc condition.
Hope that helps!

The 25 roll finding 2 silvers is not bad, over time you'll build up significant stash of those.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  20:02:51  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I understand that 1987 and 2002+ were only made for collectors - not for circulation, so they are very hard to find in circulation.

To answer another question-there is no law preventing melting silver 1/2s that I am aware of. Jackson Metals and others have/do melt them all the time.

They sell pretty well here in the forum for melt, and on ebay. AMPEX (currently out) and Monex for sure sell 40%ers by the roll and by the bag.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

pennyman
Penny Pincher Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  20:34:48  Show Profile Send pennyman a Private Message
Thanks for the replies. I found 2 silvers (the 68s) a gold plated 74(it has no value but i kept it), a 2005 and 2 halfs with holes in them. The rest are going to be dumped. I plan to order another box after i dump the sorted ones
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  21:28:06  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red_Blade

Question - I don't really know, as I've never sorted rolls of halves*, but why would people care about the 40% halves when they can't be melted? Same with the WWII Nickels - I don't get it, unless it's for collecting purposes.

the reason to collect the 40% halves is because they are worth 3-6X face value depending on the price of silver. There is is regular market for them on e-bay if nothing else.

Also, the 1987 is the year to look for as well as any "S" mint mark.
Watch the bicentennials. Some of them were silver. I have found 4 silver bicentennials.
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:27:24  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
dump at a different bank. Make this ur dump bank and make it one you dont like

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  22:51:55  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Half the job is getting rid of the coins you don't want. To add to aboxaweek's suggestion, consider using clad 1/2s to buy pennies at your penny source bank. Then use zinc pennies to buy 1/2s at your 1/2 source bank. Since you will have an imbalance, it is fun to spend 1/2s in reasonable and unreasonable numbers if nothing but to see peoples reactions.

Oh and War Nickels, while presently not legal to melt (by a regulation designed to protect CuNi) are generally the highest % intrinsic vs face value circulation coin out there. I keep all I find and buy them too.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

pennyman
Penny Pincher Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  07:38:16  Show Profile Send pennyman a Private Message
I do dump at a different bank. They have the free coin counting thing and they take half dollars. Legacypac i will save some halves to spend to see what reactions i get
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  18:58:04  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
There are tales of halves being struck on small dollar blanks, so keep an eye out for any thin and off color ones.
Don't forget to always ask the bank tellers if they have any 1975 halves, if you ever find one you could retire!

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:18:14  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

40% halves CAN be melted, but it's a pain to do so. Same with war nickels. I can see how people would be inclined to avoid 40% and war nickels, but they DO have significant amounts of silver and that cant be dismissed. COLLECT EVERYTHING!

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

DesertTumbleweed402
Penny Pincher Member

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  20:49:40  Show Profile Send DesertTumbleweed402 a Private Message
Keep an eye out for '87s.

I enjoy taking long walks off short piers.
Go to Top of Page

rainsonme
Penny Pincher Member

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  21:39:22  Show Profile Send rainsonme a Private Message
I think the silver coins have a melt-value, and are sold as junk silver based on their silver content. This is kinda a shadow currency, alternate to the fiat currencies. I don't think anyone is really melting any silver coins these days --- there's no point to that, since they can be readily sold at "melt value". I would prefer to hold a lot of junk silver than a much smaller amount of gold coins; it would be much easier for me to trade in junk silver; trading gold would be a problem for me.
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  22:29:54  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
keep an eye out for the NIFC's Not intended for circulation... 2001 - present and also 70d which is silver clad and only issued in mint sets

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  13:13:19  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Moved this thread over to the Silver section, in line with the idea that all coin roll hunting for bullion value goes together. Post on.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Dan52
Penny Collector Member

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  04:37:49  Show Profile Send Dan52 a Private Message
Look for 1972's without the engravers initials(fg).
Look for 1974's with a double die on the obverse.

I recently bought 9 rolls and one of them was all 1964's (90%) silver. 20 coins.
Go to Top of Page

coppernicus
Penny Collector Member

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:49:28  Show Profile Send coppernicus a Private Message
Someone mentioned that some biecentennial halves are silver. Are they marked any special way?
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  22:04:01  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
they will have an S mintmark and silver edges

Inquiring minds want to know

Edited by - daviscfad on 10/12/2008 22:05:53
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  22:51:30  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

keep an eye out for the NIFC's Not intended for circulation... 2001 - present and also 70d which is silver clad and only issued in mint sets

2001-D is a regular issue
2001-P is a non intended for circulation

At least this is what I remember

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

Gumby_5
Penny Sorter Member

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  23:54:54  Show Profile Send Gumby_5 a Private Message
I have recently been asking for halfs at BOA in my area when I deposit my checks 4-5 times a week and the main branch has non ever but the smaller ons usually have 1-2. but the oldest one I have come across is 1974. Today I was trading in rolls of dimes and asked for halfs. the teller told me she did not have any but had 65 dollars in EISENHOWER DOLLARS that a little old lady brought in early. I figured what the heck and took them they were all 1972D and 1776-1976D.

2000 halves Sorted
0 Silver of any kind
97 marked coins of various colors
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  06:19:52  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Gumby 5, welcome. Don't worry, you'll hit silver soon enough. I usually take the Ike's too. Take care.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  00:02:47  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
Gumby 5 ask if they will order halves for you if you have an account.
Sort the coins and use the dregs to buy gas and groceries.
Or, open an account at some other bank and dump the dregs and buy more someplace else.
$500 will let you sort A LOT of Halves before you HAVE to pay the bills if you play it right.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

Gumby_5
Penny Sorter Member

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  21:14:49  Show Profile Send Gumby_5 a Private Message
Ordered my first box of halves from BOA today. Can pick them up at Friday afternoon before closing. I talked to the money manager and as far as she can tell I am the only one that has ever asked at this bank or the other banks she has worked at in town over the last 15 years. I asked her about the trouble of bringing them back in after I go through them. I was honest and told her exactly what I was looking for and she said cool and to bring them in unwrapped on tuesdays or friday before 5 so they can put them in a bag and ship them back to STL to be counted and credited to my account. Since I still don't understand the concept of just looking at the sides and seeing the difference it might take me a while since I have nothing to compare too. I am sure I might step up the searching in the next few months as my business I own is seasonal and I really do not do much when it is cold. I read about the guy that searched 40k a month with is completely possible in my accounts but man that seems like a lot of work.

2000 halves Sorted
0 Silver of any kind
97 marked coins of various colors

Edited by - Gumby_5 on 10/22/2008 23:23:19
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  05:28:35  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Gumby - I did not know what to look for either just from reading the forum until I found a silver 1/2. Then it all became clear.

Grab a 1/2, or any modern quarter or dime on hand for that matter, and turn it on its edge. See the copper layer and the nickel layers? We call that "clad". The Mint takes big sheets of metal and layers or clads them together, then they punch out blank coins that get stamped with the designs. It's best to look at real coins, but here is a photo of what I'm talking about. You must be logged in to see this link.

Silver coins do not have the distinct 3 layers. When viewing a stack of coins from the side the silver ones will pop out for you by the absence of those copper lines. Bet you never looked at your coin edges like that before.

Check dates on 1/2s to, since some of the clad ones are rare too.

On the flip side, while checking Canadian rolls of dimes and quarters I can instantly spot the US coins by the distinct clad strips visable. Canadian dimes and quarters are either silver (very hard to find), pure nickel (getting harder to find) or plated steel (plated all the way around the coin, not clad). I just pull all the US coins for deposit at a little profit on the US side and to trade for US 1/2s as I find them.

Good luck with the box of 1/2s - and don't give up if you get skunked sometimes as it happens to all of us.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2