Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Found some eagles at a dealers shop
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  16:57:29  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I passed by a dealers shop I hadn't been in today.
I wasn't surprised to find he wanted $20 each for the eagles, I was surprised when he told me he has to pay $4 over spot to get them.
So he's paying $17.50-$18 to get the eagles he's got.

What I wound up buying was a single prospector for $16.

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  17:44:20  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
He is doing good -I was looking at NW Territorial this AM - they are quoting nearly $4 over spot on 60 ounces or more of ASE's ($17.30 vs $13.50 spot) and they freely admit they have none so you have to wait till the Mint supplies more. From NWT site:

US Mint Production Delays
The US Mint has again announced production delays and rationing for silver American Eagles. We will continue to ship silver Eagles from our stock when they arrive from the US Mint, but in order to expedite delivery will need to ship dates of our choice (unless 2008 coins were specifically requested). In some cases, orders placed after August 1 may experience significant delays, but you can be confident that all trades locked in will be shipped expeditiously as we receive supply of product from the US Mint. For those of you who wish to ensure a place in the queue, we will continue to lock in trades at our low premiums over spot.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  20:54:14  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
$4 over spot is about standard right now for Eagles--just more proof that the physical market is very different than the paper market...
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  22:17:32  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
well i ordered from apmex when they had there last silver eagle sell and i have already recived mine!

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  00:55:24  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
APMEX has 2008's at 4.29 over spot for 500 or more, 4.99 over spot for 1-19...only a bit over 15K available--probably will be sold out by this (Tues) evening...the premiums just seem to keep going up...
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  02:26:13  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I continue to be amazed by the spreads. If the spreads are that high I might just consider unloading some of my Silver Eagles rather than waiting for silver to go back up.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  10:18:47  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I continue to be amazed by the spreads. If the spreads are that high I might just consider unloading some of my Silver Eagles rather than waiting for silver to go back up.
Yeah--that is a consideration right now--if you did that what would you roll the funds into? Junk silver? Maples? The spreads are high on just about everything now...gotta remember that silver will probably continue higher from here...even if the premium drops back to $1 at $20 silver, if you have not reinvested you are actually coming out behind...but if you could increase your ounces by trading...hmmmm...any other thoughts on this? Time may be limited for this (potentially lucrative) strategy....
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  10:55:22  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
I am absolutely new to spread trading, but doesn't silver have best potential ATM and junk the least premiums? What if silver jumps to $20 again and the premiums do not decrease but keep increasing? Is this a possibility and if so what would be the cause of such an effect?

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

byro007
Penny Collector Member

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  12:01:03  Show Profile  Click to see byro007's MSN Messenger address  Send byro007 a Yahoo! Message Send byro007 a Private Message
I dont think we will see the spreads go away for a long time as I think the dealers are getting used to these high markups. Before there was no a whole lot of margin in bullion but now they can kinda set there own now.
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  15:01:40  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kavajava

APMEX has 2008's at 4.29 over spot for 500 or more, 4.99 over spot for 1-19...only a bit over 15K available--probably will be sold out by this (Tues) evening...the premiums just seem to keep going up...

Tues afternoon--they have a little over 5000 left...man, these things are just flying out of dealer inventory...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2