Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 US Mint - Hedging??
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  17:30:44  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
In August 1999 the Mint began the process of hedging the purchases of base metals used to manufacture United States coinage. Base metals (zinc, copper, and nickel) account for thirty percent of the cost of manufacturing coins. Metal prices are subject to significant variation as a result of market price volatility. The objective of the Mint’s base metals risk management program is to reduce the variation in metal costs resulting from market price swings. To accomplish the risk management objectives, swap hedges are utilized to lock in metal prices on physical purchase commitments made but not yet delivered.

So....I guess in 2008 they did not hedge against gold or silver? Or did they?

Source: You must be logged in to see this link.

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  21:01:38  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I'm sure they hedged in the prices they charged. I choke when I think of buying bullion at 30% over melt like they did with the first spouse series.

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  11:29:32  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
and the same with the proof gold coins being like 430 some dollars over spot!.. I remember earlier this year when gold passed proof gold eagles They quickly took them off sell and raised the price of the coin. I have noticed they have still yet to drop the coins since gold has gotten so low. I really hope no one is dumb enough to buy them

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  12:54:00  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
From the 2000 Annual Report linked above:

"The Mint is required by legislation to obtain silver to be used in minting of commemoratives from the DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) stockpiles. The Mint has been using DLA silver in the production of numismatic silver coins. In FY 2000, due to the dwindling supply of DLA silver, the Mint has gone out on the open market to meet coin production demands. It is expected that the Mint will deplete the DLA stockpiles of silver within the next two fiscal years. (2002?) The Mint reimburses the DLA at the market price for silver, less the statutory rate of $1.292929292 per FTO. The $1.292929292 per FTO is paid by the Mint to the Treasury."

So much for the US government holding much silver anymore.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2