Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Silver Eagles - Does this make sense to you?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  17:24:46  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
I can’t help but find this interesting that the Government purchased less silver in 2007 than in 2006! Why would they do this?????

Was it because the price was too high? Were they too successful?

So do you think this price dip might benefit the government and allow them to buy silver cheaper? Yet halting production regardless if it was planned or not would still have a tendency to increase demand, correct? What say you???

Public Law 107-201 (July 23, 2002) authorized the United States Mint to purchase silver on the open market to mint coins when the silver in the Strategic and Critical Materials Stockpile was depleted. The law requires an annual report of the amount of silver purchased on the open market by fiscal year.

2006 the amount of silver was 17,036,321.0010
2007 the amount of silver was 15,400,340.3630

Source Page 26 of 70: You must be logged in to see this link.

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  21:02:57  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Maybe they had some left over?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  22:07:43  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
A couple of pages earlier (19/Acrobat 21) it says that sales of silver eagles were down in 2007 from 2006. Doesn't account for all of the reduction but some of it, yes?
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  22:30:31  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
So, will 2007 eagles be worth hoarding? Maybe future numismatic value?

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  04:49:22  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moboman

Not the 07s, the 08s. Mintage of 08s is expected to be lower than the 96, which sells for a premium.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  11:07:57  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
Thats interesting ten bears.. Where did you see that? And also does that include the proof and unc burnished?

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  11:17:25  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

quote:
Originally posted by moboman

Not the 07s, the 08s. Mintage of 08s is expected to be lower than the 96, which sells for a premium.

I heard they are actually minting more 2008 eagles than previous years on another site, I dont remember where. But that demand for them is so high right now, that the mint cant keep up.

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  12:11:33  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

Thats interesting ten bears.. Where did you see that? And also does that include the proof and unc burnished?

Strictly hearsay from my dealer and from several other dealers at a recent coin show here. I did not see it in print. Dealers were/are worried because the proofs make great Christmas gifts. With no proofs, dealers' Christmas sales will suffer. I think the 08 mintage is done. I would be interested to hear otherwise though.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  12:38:56  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
TenBears - I read an article yesterday making that exact same point, and suggesting state quarter silver proofs and several other items as suitable alternative gifts.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  19:53:05  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I was very much under the impression that 2008 silver eagles may be at the HIGHEST mintage EVER for silver eagles. The demand has certainly been there.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  20:09:45  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
From Numismatic news;
The mint has stopped producing 08 PROOF eagles to save blanks for the 08 UNC eagles, demand is phenomenal, so mintage will be excessively high.

As far as PROOF eagles go, this is already the third highest mintage year on record.
711,??? proofs.

Go to Top of Page

magnasort
Penny Pincher Member

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  20:34:15  Show Profile Send magnasort a Private Message
i would also order next years saes from mint in large qty as i believe they will start slow and have lower total 09 mintage than typical years

Magnetic sorters, no moving parts except the coins
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  20:48:35  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

TenBears - I read an article yesterday making that exact same point, and suggesting state quarter silver proofs and several other items as suitable alternative gifts.

I agree. Frankly, silver proof anything is a pretty cool gift. However, dealers like the higher profit margins associated with the eagles.

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  21:17:20  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TenBears

quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

I agree. Frankly, silver proof anything is a pretty cool gift. However, dealers like the higher profit margins associated with the eagles.

I like picking those silver quarters up for slightly above melt value!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2