Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Going Rate for Aluminum Cans?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  18:41:53  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
40c for the last 3 weeks I have been getting... The best part is, since I am the maintenance supervisor for 2 facilities, I have people collecting them for me and once a week I come get them...

Nothing better then a free Toz per week..
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  01:57:55  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
The place in Cincinnati was offering only 25c the other day when I checked. Ouch!

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

RyanAKL
Penny Pincher Member

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  22:25:07  Show Profile  Send RyanAKL an AOL message Send RyanAKL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

The place in Cincinnati was offering only 25c the other day when I checked. Ouch!

what scrap yard in cincy did you go to?
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  22:59:02  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RyanAKL

quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

what scrap yard in cincy did you go to?

I was driving by that big one next to the tracks in Camp Washington. I can't remember the name - its a big operation and they take just about anything.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

MatLock
Penny Pincher Member

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  17:19:47  Show Profile Send MatLock a Private Message
Aluminum Cans $1.65 per pound (includes CRV)
Clean Aluminum $0.30 per pound

Not bad for the market today. :) Regular sized cans take about 33 cans to make a pound so that is right on 5c per can. Of course this is in California but its awesome because I get them from the streets and stuff, ha! I always save up nearly truckloads of scrap metals(all kinds) before cashing in because the place is about 10 miles.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAKL
Penny Pincher Member

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:38:08  Show Profile  Send RyanAKL an AOL message Send RyanAKL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MatLock

Aluminum Cans $1.65 per pound (includes CRV)
Clean Aluminum $0.30 per pound

Not bad for the market today. :) Regular sized cans take about 33 cans to make a pound so that is right on 5c per can. Of course this is in California but its awesome because I get them from the streets and stuff, ha! I always save up nearly truckloads of scrap metals(all kinds) before cashing in because the place is about 10 miles.

1.65!?!? Where is this at? also when do you guys think that scap price will go back up? i have about 50 bags of cans in my pole barn.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  22:19:37  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
Al has got to go back up, but it's going to be a while.
We have to ride out the current economic slump in manufacturing first.
Al scrap is still the highest quality Al ore out there!
You'll probably have a lot more than those 50 bags before prices rebound; I hope you flatten!

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:05:03  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
CRV is california return value. In Az it is .30 c per pound down from .80 at the best last year. Smash the cans and save them as long as you can!
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  00:02:13  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
It will go up when the wholesale price goes up. The wholesale price by the ton is not much more than what you guys are getting right now. The CRV (California Redemption Value) is set annually by the DOC (Department of Conservation) They go to several sites and take random samples to determine how many aluminum cans would be in an average pound. Currently that is set at 31.4 cans per pound so the CRV is set at $1.57 a pound. Any amount a recycler pays above that minimum is for the scrap value of the aluminum. So Matlock is getting 8 cents a pound scrap value for his cans. Makes you guys getting 25-30 cents per pound look pretty good. Of course he makes out like a bandit because he doesn't pay the nickel per can in the first place.. just picks up what folks are too lazy to redeem for themselves.

Just keep stacking it up.. the price will come back.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

RyanAKL
Penny Pincher Member

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  08:46:14  Show Profile  Send RyanAKL an AOL message Send RyanAKL a Private Message
around the st louis area they are only paying $.30lb for cans and $.20lb for srap alum. i cant remember the last time it was this low.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  00:31:58  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
California Redemption Value (CRV) is a deposit paid on purchases of certain recyclable beverage containers in California. The consumer pays CRV on the purchase of beverages with aluminum, plastic, glass, and bimetal containers and can be reimbursed if the containers are brought to a recycling center.

California Redemption Value is easily confused with California Refund Value, which is the amount recycling centers pay to consumers in exchange for empty bottles and cans. This discrepancy is usually unimportant because the redemption (or deposit) value is usually the same as the refund value, although they are different at times. The acronym "CRV" is often used to denote either.

Currently only 10 of the 50 states have a program like this. It is very probable that other states may be adopting similar programs in the near future. Maybe some of you guys that held onto your old cans might make out.

CRV, like all container deposit legislation, has three main purposes: it seeks to encourage recycling, discourage littering, and generate revenue from unclaimed redemptions and sales tax on the CRV.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

byronbb

6 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  17:55:00  Show Profile Send byronbb a Private Message
Wow up here in Canada a private recycler depot company is giving 8 cents CAD (zincs only, just kidding) per can when the deposit at purchase is 5c. Thats 2 usd per pound.

edit Well I guess thats IF you get them for free....0.78 pound if you redeem after purchase.

Edited by - byronbb on 05/02/2009 18:03:45
Go to Top of Page

maoguinn
Penny Pincher Member

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  21:12:40  Show Profile Send maoguinn a Private Message
Cans are down to 25c per pound here in Lubbock TX. I'm trying to hold on to them until the price goes up to at least 50c, hopefully this summer.
Go to Top of Page

lilyrdape
Penny Pincher Member

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  17:28:57  Show Profile  Send lilyrdape an AOL message Send lilyrdape a Private Message
got maybe 1 cent a can on the last drop
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  13:09:44  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
Isn't the deposit on aluminum cans and glass bottles $0.05 for small and $0.10 for large?

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  13:15:00  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
1.80lb here

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

TheJonasCollegeFund
Penny Collector Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  17:18:45  Show Profile Send TheJonasCollegeFund a Private Message
Anybody have a recent price per pound? Chicagoland area?

MD Totals: Started Aug16th.(Updated Sept10th) 819 clad/cu coins/$41.13
Quarters-78
Dimes-122+1 silver roosie (1957)
Nickels-81 (56d,53d)
Copper Pennies-147
Zinc Pennies-386
Wheats-5 (36,36,46,46d,50d)
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  14:02:36  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
35 cents a pound today in Southern AZ.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  18:18:28  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
vrbsroma,
The way I understand it, all sizes are 5cents in most states. One or two states has it at 10cents, also for all sizes.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Know Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

195 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  18:33:47  Show Profile Send Know Common Cents a Private Message
$0.41/lb in Southeastern Wisconsin. There's the occasional coupon in the small town news that offers a "bonus" of $0.04/lb for all quantities over 10 lbs.

Here in Wisconsin, we have some of the highest property and gasoline taxes in the US. We're squeezed so much, I have to make my daughter wear penny boxes for shoes. At least she has an endless supply.
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  13:04:28  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
A local Craigslist guy is offering 30 cents per pound as of today. Seems kind of low but I haven't called around for other quotes. I have no idea how much I have...all the cans are crushed and in hefty garbage bags.

What are the rest of you seeing in your areas?

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  14:25:32  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Still holding at $.35 a pound in AZ
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  14:30:10  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
1.80 ca.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  21:36:49  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Wholesale price holding steady. Just sold another 23 tons.

Go to Top of Page

jtm3
Penny Pincher Member

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  12:30:22  Show Profile Send jtm3 a Private Message
Whats the purity of aluminum cans?

Copper Cent Hoarding Wiki

coppercenthoarding.wikia.com

+637 posts
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic