Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Something strikes me as weird about this auction
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  01:45:56  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I can't put my finger on it, but something bugs me about this auction:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Or is this guy just hoping people will bid up the per-ounce bid instead of worrying he'll lose money on the melt value?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  07:29:39  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
It didnt seem clear to me if the coins would weigh a total of one ounce (and therefore have less than one ounce of silver) or how he is measuring this exactly. And also is he measuring in Troy ounces or Aveir-Dupois (I think that's the system we use) ounces? On a one ounce auction there isnt much of a difference but it would be nice to know exactly what you're getting.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  09:31:25  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
I thought it was pretty clear, except for avoirdupois vs troy ounces, which for something this size wouldn't be much of a difference. He also said it would be a little over anyway.

The only thing that bothers me about this auction is this:

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  11:18:58  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I sent him a question to clarify. I think he is selling the coins by the ounce, not the silver. I also suspect he is selling based on regular, not troy ounces. If you have an actual stack of silver coins, you should understand the difference.

I suspect this is a creative but silly confusing way to get people to bid the spot silver price per troy ounce, and get less silver then they expect. Might reel in some casual or newbie silver buyers, or people who don't read far part the headlines. Most auctions tell you they are selling 100 Rosie dimes, or whatever which allows everyone to calculate what they are getting. By saying he will weigh out the coins from every 90% silver coin made in US history you really can't calculate very well at all.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  19:29:25  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

I smell gimmick from this ebayer.

It's very simple. Sell the coins in X dollar increments, eg. $5 face, and buyers will figure out market price like they've been doing for over 10 years since ebay began. Why the "oh, I can't tell you what you'll get, but it'll be over an ounce?!?!!" STOOPIDDD!!!!!

Sorry, I'm kinda mad about silver's recent dive...

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  19:39:55  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
I really don't see the problem. How is it any different than selling copper pennies by the pound instead of by X-times face value?

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  21:55:20  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by natsb88

I really don't see the problem. How is it any different than selling copper pennies by the pound instead of by X-times face value?

Hi there,

It's not really a problem per se, but it lends itself to vagueness when it doesn't really need to. Copper pennies can be tedious to count, so I can understand going by the #, but why is the seller unable to detail exactly which coins you get? Why the bonus coins? What exactly are you getting for your money?

It would just seem a lot more sensible to say exactly what and how much face you're selling, rather than the cutesy "mystery grab bag" type sale.

JMO.

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  05:28:48  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

I sent him a question to clarify. I think he is selling the coins by the ounce, not the silver. I also suspect he is selling based on regular, not troy ounces. If you have an actual stack of silver coins, you should understand the difference.

I suspect this is a creative but silly confusing way to get people to bid the spot silver price per troy ounce, and get less silver then they expect. Might reel in some casual or newbie silver buyers, or people who don't read far part the headlines. Most auctions tell you they are selling 100 Rosie dimes, or whatever which allows everyone to calculate what they are getting. By saying he will weigh out the coins from every 90% silver coin made in US history you really can't calculate very well at all.

Here is the answer:

Hello this auction is for alittle over one ounce of 90% silver coins. Yes, its a regular ounce, but will weigh alittle over one ounce as its hard to weigh exactly one ounce of coins. In addition to that weight, you will recieve a free 90% silver coin also. That coin is not included in the one ounce plus weight. Thanks alot, Adam

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  06:18:00  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Still never says what a "regular" ounce is. To me, if you are talking silver, then a "regular" ounce is a troy ounce. If we are talking a bag of chips, then a "regular" ounce is an avoirdupois ounce.... So is it in troy ounces?

Deal

p.s. I realize that he probably means avoirdupois, but it still isn't clear.

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2