Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Are the Olympic medals really gold, silver, etc?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  20:17:07  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

Title pretty much says it all-

Are they?

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:11:06  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I think the gold is actually mostly silver with a little gold. But the rest are as advertised I believe....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  11:40:24  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hey Deal!!!

How are the ww2 items we exchanged working out for you??

I'll send ya a pic of another one we have-

Thanks!!!

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  14:12:30  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wagsthadog

Hi all,

Title pretty much says it all-

Are they?

This year, since the Olympics are in Beijing, the medals will be struck in lead and electroplated in a silver-zinc alloy.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  15:44:09  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
How True
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:18:51  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I really like Ant's answer. However, an online source that sounds plausable:

"Of what metal is an Olympic gold medal mostly made of?

First presented by International Olympic Committee in 1908 (until then winners received silver medals)..second and third place finishers also got medals of silver and bronze for first time in 1908 ..each medal must be at least 2.4 inches in diameter and 0.12 inches thick ..the gold medal is actually made of silver, but must be gilded with at least 6 grams (0.21 ounces) of pure gold"

Another source You must be logged in to see this link. (Russia's official news agency) clipped here:

The 3,000 medals made for the Olympics and a similar number for the Paralympics were delivered by BHP Billiton, an Olympic sponsor and the world's largest mining company, during an hour-long ceremony near Tiananmen Square.

The Melbourne-based company said the metals were shipped from its mines in Chile and Australia - more than 28 1/2 pounds (13 kilograms) of gold, 2,954 pounds (1,340 kilograms) of silver, and 15,278 pounds (6,930 kilograms) of copper. The medals, which incorporate jade from Qinghai province, were made in China.

The gold medals are actually made of silver with a gold plating. The commemorative medals were made from copper, explaining the large total amount of copper required.

Olympian Gao Min, who won gold medals in diving at the 1988 and 1992 games, praised the medals for being more beautiful than previous ones. These Olympics marked the first time the medals - with the jade inlay - were designed in a public competition.

The winning entry by China's Central Academy of Fine Arts has a distinctive Chinese style with an embossed double-dragon design, a ring of jade inlay and a gold rim. Gold and jade signify virtues of honor and ethics while the dragon connotes strength.

NOTE ALL THE COPPER! Almost equal to HCBTT's hoard. The link include photos of the actual metals. You must be logged in to see this link.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog

Edited by - jadedragon on 08/07/2008 17:22:24
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:19:58  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wagsthadog

Hey Deal!!!

How are the ww2 items we exchanged working out for you??

I'll send ya a pic of another one we have-

Thanks!!!

I'm getting custom frames when I get back in town Saturday. I HAVE to go work at the lake tomorrow and Saturday. Gee, hope it doesn't spill over into Sunday.... Email me the picture.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:32:10  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
And here are very cool photos of the metals being made: You must be logged in to see this link.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:25:33  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
So in the future - when the price of Copper finally exceeds the price of Silver and Gold, will the person who wins 1st place get a Bronze or a Gold medal?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:29:12  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
They will get a gold medal.. it will just be bigger. I think all medals awarded at this olympics are guaranteed to contain some "lead."

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  14:54:31  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

And here are very cool photos of the metals being made: You must be logged in to see this link.

very cool article and pictures--thanks for posting!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2