Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Is it worth it to re-sell non-war 1939-1950 nicks?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  20:42:53  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
Hi all,

I don't usually sort nickels, but my bank was out of everything else so I got $200 worth. I found 2 war nickels, which I am very happy about, and I'm getting into nickels a little bit again.

I don't really like to hoard them, save for Buffalos and war nickels, but is it worth it to save 1939-1950 (not counting war nickels) Jefferson nickels?

I hear about people saving 1940's and 1950's nickels, but is there a market for them?

F'r instance, would anyone be interested if I had a few rolls of non-war 1940's nickels? (ie, 1940-1941, 1946-1949 nickels?)

wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  08:16:03  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
There seems to be collectors for about anything if the price is right. I recently read in the newspaper that similar dates and in "good" condition go for about 15 cents each. If you enjoy searching nickels I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a market for them here at the Buy, Sell, Trade FORUM.

JUST A REMINDER FOR EVERYONE, LET'S KEEP ALL OFFERS TO BUY, SELL, OR TRADE OVER THERE.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  09:25:21  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I save the nickels that I encounter that are 50 years old or more. I'm not buliish on nickel hoarding since they are not a pure metal, and so I defer to copper pennies instead. But I'm inclined to save a few nickels, and if I'm going to do so, why not the ones with future numismatic value? Sure, there's hand sorting involved, but that's how I catch the war nickels and buffalos while I'm at it. Granted, it took 70 years for the market to even begin for common pre-war Jeffersons, but I think time is on my side. My guess is that by the 2020s, pre-1970 Jefferson profile nickels will be trading like wheat pennies are now. If nothing else, it gives us nickel hunters a chance of finding a keeper in every roll.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  12:57:13  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
i would definitely scan for 38D, 38S, 39D, 39S, and 50D... those were the low-mintage coins of the series, and have some collector value. For the rest of them, unless they're in really nice shape (strong definition in Monticello, no gouges or discoloration), it's probably not worth the effort.

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

wagsthadog
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  18:07:11  Show Profile Send wagsthadog a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

There seems to be collectors for about anything if the price is right. I recently read in the newspaper that similar dates and in "good" condition go for about 15 cents each. If you enjoy searching nickels I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a market for them here at the Buy, Sell, Trade FORUM.

JUST A REMINDER FOR EVERYONE, LET'S KEEP ALL OFFERS TO BUY, SELL, OR TRADE OVER THERE.

Hi Ardent,

Sorry, I wasn't planning on setting up a deal on this forum, I just phrased that in my question as an example.
Sorry bout that
wags

Only when they CAN'T have it, ......THEN they'll want it.

I love Cents. If you get an UNC box, you win. If you get a regular circ. box, you win. If you get a zinc box, you don't lose....so you still win.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  04:49:05  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:

There seems to be collectors for about anything if the price is right.

Agreed. It's not a matter of who the nutjobs are that are selling unusual items. We should be worried about the REAL nutjobs who are buying!

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  16:47:34  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wagsthadog

quote:

Hi Ardent,

Sorry, I wasn't planning on setting up a deal on this forum, I just phrased that in my question as an example.
Sorry bout that
wags

I didn't think you were, but with a gang like ours it often doesn't take long for a general interest thread like this to morph into offers to buy or sell. We all seem to have that free enterprise spirit flowing through our veins.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:27:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cerulean

I save the nickels that I encounter that are 50 years old or more. I'm not buliish on nickel hoarding since they are not a pure metal, and so I defer to copper pennies instead.

I hate to break the news to you but you are not hoarding "copper" pennies. You are hoarding brass pennies and maybe a few Indian Head bronze cents.

"The key to building wealth is to not lose money." - Warren Buffet
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:34:24  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Now pure Ni Nickels are the real deal. But I have buckets of CuNi too - too lazy to roll and return them all to the bank :) Spend enough effort rolling and dumping steel nickels.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:38:21  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by legacypac

Now pure Ni Nickels are the real deal. But I have buckets of CuNi too - too lazy to roll and return them all to the bank :) Spend enough effort rolling and dumping steel nickels.

Real "pure" deal for sure, but I'm glad I didn't buy a hoard of them while nickel was over $20 a pound.

"The key to building wealth is to not lose money." - Warren Buffet
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:54:57  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
A lot of people do sets of circulated nickels. I think you could get something for them.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2