Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  14:57:55  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
some of the best prices on this type of stuff is at tulving.com. tulving has a large min. order, but he posts his sell prices so compare your dealer to his. you should pay a little more for a smaller order but tulvings prices will give you the ball park. you can also buy the dealer price guide which is called the greysheet. its available online for like $4 a copy. its esp. good for the slabbed coins rather than bullion.

silver - i don't like rounds. the premium on U.S. eagles is worth it because everyone knows the content is consistent. a 40 or 50 cent premium is too high when people have to wonder about the mint or metal content. either go with bars or junk silver. if you go with bars, get a brand that everyone knows like Engelhardt or johnson massey.

if you buy slabbed coins, stick with PCGS or NGS. the others are subject to grade inflation.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  15:08:51  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
because yesterday gold closed at 917(i think). A $5 gold eagle is 1/10 oz of gold. So 1/10 oz of gold yesterday would be worth 91.70. I know from buying these before, and looking around that the premium on slabbed $5 gold eagles can be from 10-70 dollars.

check kitco's website for what the current gold spot price is.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  15:10:12  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fb101

quote:
Originally posted by moboman

was there tax on top of that? My state of Ohio charges sales tax on all bullion purchases, even gold/silver eagles, junk silver, etc, collector coins, anything, all because of the Noe scandal. Ohio had no sales tax before him.

I now buy primarily at shows and online in order to avoid paying sales tax...because 7% on top of even .25 over spot ruins just about any deal.

Hop into PA, no sales tax on coins, only on plastic tubes and such

How about in Pittsburgh? are then any reputable dealers there with good prices? I'll be there in about a month.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  16:55:17  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks all!!

but with the silver eagles standard is $2 over spot?

also when were talking whatever price over spot PLUS commission as well?

thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  17:42:41  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
No commission. If there are no taxes, you should get out for spot price + $1.

Spot + $2 isnt bad for silver eagles. I'd pay that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  17:56:59  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
i guess in NY so far you gotta pay more. where is the best place to buy online?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  23:04:19  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
it depends on how much you are going to spend online. I've told you my sites.
This forum is a great place if you are looking for junk silver, or want to trade. I've had many successful trades here.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  08:13:33  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
sorry to much info i went back and read i will check out casperscoins.com

meaning what buy from guys here dimes, quarters, halves etc...

thanks for ALL the help !!!
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  12:10:11  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
ya...around here, if you have something to trade go to the buy/sell/trade. Most guys dont just sell silver, but some will.

junk silver is silver US coinage.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  12:15:19  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
will do and thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  20:52:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
i did the deed again! i got more 1/10 ounce eagles $99 per coin and loaded up on silver 1oz maple leafs $1 over spot :) i also bought some junk silver for the hell of it just a little. 13.5x face what is the average price people pay for junk?

it was a fun day.

now on to reading the red book and learning that :)
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  21:08:46  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by russell

i did the deed again! i got more 1/10 ounce eagles $99 per coin and loaded up on silver 1oz maple leafs $1 over spot :) i also bought some junk silver for the hell of it just a little. 13.5x face what is the average price people pay for junk?

it was a fun day.

now on to reading the red book and learning that :)

You did very good on the Maple Leafs at $1 over spot - better then I've ever done on them. Good on the gold too. Not bad on the junk silver.

BTW people call it "junk silver" because the coins are "junk" as far as being collectable coins. The real value is in the metal content.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  22:08:35  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moboman

The same...I'll pay up to $1 over spot. It depends though. Like if I see a proof or something like my penny, I'll pay a little extra. I have paid more for Silver eagles...but I normally just stick with art bars, or with "numismatic"(proof, uncirculated, graded) eagles. I got a painted one for a dollar over spot a while back.

I'd check out casperscoins.com if you are interested. He sells eagles $1 over spot, .25 over spot for generic, and for a while he was selling 2008 eagles for $19.25!

Thanks for the plug however I have to set the record straight. I can no longer sell eagles at 1.00 over. We sold them for a dollar over for years until some one posted about it on this forum and a couple others. Over 5k of eagles were gone in a a couple days. It took us a long time to build up that inventory. I can no longer replace those eagles for any where near a dollar over. I have had to raise the price to 2.00 over. This price really does not even allow me to buy the large quantities we need to replace our stock.

on the 2008 eagles we were at 2.00 over on them as well. I had put them on the website because some one wanted to order them through the web. Most people do it with a phone call. The normal Price on those is also 2.00 over

Generic Silver is still .25 over!! We classify Generic as anything that is not a government bullion coin Eagles, Maples etc.

Russell I will tell you the same thing as I tell the people that come into my store daily to buy bullion

"Buy the item with the least amount of premium."

Especially in silver. When silver is 50 to 100 an ounce and there is a line of people outside my store trying to sell. Havening American Eagles, 10 oz engelhards our anything else people are paying way over to get will not get you a penny more or a better place in line.

"It all melts the same."

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  22:14:21  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I found this write up on someone else website I really couldn't of said it better my self.

"Some gold and silver dealers foster the circulation of many myths, misunderstandings, and outright lies about the purchase and sale of gold and silver. Generally, these misconceptions and falsehoods promote the notion that the government may again call in gold as it did in 1933 and that "reportable" transactions are preludes to confiscation. By cultivating such fears in investors, unscrupulous firms can sell high-priced (and often overpriced) coins with greater margins of profit."

With that said if you want overpriced numismatic gold and silver items "Same from confiscation!!" we would be happy to bury you in them.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  22:16:55  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
[i]

if you buy slabbed coins, stick with PCGS or NGS. the others are subject to grade inflation.

Do not buy PCGS or NCG just by what is says on the holder. There is a lot of grade inflation among them as well. They are better then the rest but always be your own judge. If your going to spend the money educate yourself on what your buying.

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  23:00:10  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by casperscoins

Thanks for the plug however I have to set the record straight. I can no longer sell eagles at 1.00 over. We sold them for a dollar over for years until some one posted about it on this forum and a couple others. Over 5k of eagles were gone in a a couple days. It took us a long time to build up that inventory. I can no longer replace those eagles for any where near a dollar over. I have had to raise the price to 2.00 over. This price really does not even allow me to buy the large quantities we need to replace our stock.

sorry man, I love your site...such good prices, and you seem like a nice guy.
I ordered from you tonight. I was wondering, do you ever get kilo bars in?

Edited by - moboman on 07/31/2008 23:06:59
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  05:59:16  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
every now and then. I can get anything you want. It just cost more if I have to order it from another deal.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  06:16:53  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Wanting to place an order soon....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  07:51:29  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
legacypac and casperscoins thanks for the encouragement and the lessons in gold and silver it is very much appreciated!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2