Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  16:56:13  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Where is the best place or best thing to read to get started? I am looking to invest $5K in gold not to trade just to have some "REAL" money in case the blank really hits the fan but i am not sure if i should just buy American eagle or buffalo?

i feel from my limited understanding that numismatic have more protection in terms of confiscation but i figure this time around if they confisctate they will take it all including numismatic so arent i better off with bullion? should i buy different countries coins or just USA? does it matter if i buy it in small sizes 1/10 or should i only buy 1 oz sizes? i figure if you need to use it as currency the smaller the better?

am i asking the right questions or am i missing the boat totally?

Thank you in advance for any help!!!

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  17:10:13  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message
I like USA gold coins .Bullion is what they took in the past not numismatic.A good selection of sizes would probably be best 1/10 - oz.
Don't count out silver though. Usually easier to obtain and recognizable
to the general public.Who's going to be able to give you change easily for a oz. of gold?
Just get a good mix and you'll be a ok.

Welcome to the forum....

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  19:45:42  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
You already seem to know the basics. I would stay away from "rare gold coins" as a gold investment. I too would buy some silver. Silver or gold, I would buy cash and carry. As Ponce says, "If you don't hold it you don't own it." I have been burned bad in the past by a mail order dealer who went bankrupt on me. Check out states near you that don't have a sales tax on precious metals.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:06:10  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
THANKS for the quick replies and thanks for the welcome it seems like a great place to hang out :)

I hear you on the silver what is best to look at on that front? Liberty half dollars or anything else?

also where is the best place to get a price list of usa gold coins?
should i buy it from the USA Mint or look at individual dealers?

thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:07:24  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
Or...go to the local coinshows. There dealers will be happy to educate you, and you will normally get better prices then you will on ebay or at a coin shop.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Edited by - moboman on 07/27/2008 20:07:43
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:11:09  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by russell

THANKS for the quick replies and thanks for the welcome it seems like a great place to hang out :)

I hear you on the silver what is best to look at on that front? Liberty half dollars or anything else?

also where is the best place to get a price list of usa gold coins?
should i buy it from the USA Mint or look at individual dealers?

thank you again.

I like looking at my bars/rounds and get what I like. Whether it be art bars, pandas(Chinese), American silver eagles, engelhard, JM, etc. I try to buy an assortment, and when I get duplicates, I try to trade them for something that I dont have.

My favorite is this piece here, I carry it in my pocket everywhere; it is my lucky penny.

And on gold, I only buy American Gold eagles, just picked another up today.

Edited by - moboman on 07/27/2008 20:12:47
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:15:30  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
THANKS again guys!

I see what you mean that penny SHINES with good luck i do see it seriously :)

Edited by - n/a on 07/27/2008 20:16:44
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:21:13  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
If you lived by me, I'd go to a coinshow with you and help you out. I'm relatively new, but I enjoy learning about coins...I sat down at a dealer table today for over an hour learning about different foreign coins...nice guy. He was the friend of a friend of mine.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:38:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks for the info. i guess that is what i will do. but in the mean time anyone deal with Swiss America?

Edited by - n/a on 07/27/2008 20:38:56
Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:54:32  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

Maybe this will help you.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Find Your Local Coin Shop
A Brief Guide to Buying Silver:
What kind of silver, and where to get it.
by Jason Hommel, SilverStockReport.com

The silver story is simple: Since the 1870's, the trend has been to stop using silver as money (as a medium of exchange). This has reduced demand. Then, around 1945, electronics started booming, and since silver is the greatest conductor of electricity, a lot of silver has been used up. Today, the world has nearly run out of silver, just as paper money is beginning to fail around the world as gold begins to explode upwards in price. As investment demand returns to gold and silver for savings (as a store of value), like it will for no other commodities, physical silver prices will explode past them all, because monetary demand will return.

Therefore, I strongly suggest that you try to get the most physical silver for your money, and take posession of it. To do that, you ought to ask the dealer at your local coin shop the prices of the following items. (You can find your local coin dealer at a link below.) Prices sometimes change.
Types and Kinds of Silver Available

1. Bars:

A. 1000 oz. Bars. --These bars weigh about 68 pounds, and vary about 10% as to weight. You may get a 908.8 oz. bar or a 1099.6 oz. bar, and the price is settled on delivery. These are the NYMEX bars. Benefit: Good for NYMEX delivery to the major exchange for delivery into a 5000 oz. futures contract, and thus, the most liquid for large buyers or sellers. Also, it is quicker to physically move them in large quantities, rather than moving hundreds of 100 oz. bars. Drawback: They are not suitable for smaller transactions, but they are always liquid if they are sold to a wise bullion dealer who knows what they are. The other drawback may be shipping, if you are on the west coast, since the exchange is in New York.

B. 100 oz. Bars. --These bars weigh 6.8 pounds, and are among the most popular with retail investors. They stack well, and make it easier to inventory than 1 oz. rounds or silver bags. Popular brands are Englehard and Johnson-Matthey. Those two brands cost a bit more than other brands, usually about 40-50 cents per ounce above the spot price, but that price may vary with market conditions.

C. Odd weight retail bars. --Stamped as 101.46 oz. or 51.23 oz., these bars cost less, and generally have a wider spread, due to the extra work it takes to calculate their value, and extra risk due to the lack of good brand name. To test that they are silver, try a simple ring test. Bang them with a wooden spoon, and if you hear a faint, quick, "riiiinnnngggg", they are silver. Lead filled bars thud or thunk, and do not ring. But you may be able to buy these as spot, and sell them at spot, depending on the dealer. These are true "bullion" bars, and not found in quantity. Also, there is the 1 kilo bar, which is 32.151 ounces.

D. 10 oz. bars are also very popular, often harder to get, with a slightly higher cost, as they seem more "affordable" and are very neat to hold, and can act as "change" between the 100 oz. bars, and 1 oz. rounds.

2. Coins:

A. U.S. minted Silver-Eagle. --This coin is .999 pure silver, and weighs one ounce. It generally sells for about $2.00 over the spot price, and is thus quite expensive. I don't recommend these.

B. One-ounce "rounds". --They are .999 pure silver, and weigh one ounce. These coins are like the Silver-Eagle, but they cost much less. They are minted by a private mint. They generally cost about 40-50 cents above the commonly quoted price of silver--also called the "spot" price. These are often very popular, and a very good choice.

C. 90% US Silver Coin Bags, $1000 Face --These are half dollars, quarters, or dimes that commonly circulated in the U.S. Called "Junk silver", they generally contain no rare or special coins. Sold by the "bag", each full bag contains $1000 face value of coins, such as 2000 half dollars, 4000 quarters, or 10,000 dimes. A "bag" weighs about 55 pounds. This is typically the cheapest silver you can buy, because there is a cost to melt it down to get the kind of silver that is needed by industry. But this kind of silver also can become very much in demand, such as prior to the year 2000, when people wanted "tradable" silver, and bags cost up to 25% more than other silver bullion.

D. Commemorative Coins. Often times, the public will buy silver at a rate of 10 times higher than the bullion content if it is made into "Elvis" coins or "Space Shuttle" coins, or "Princess Diana" coins. Often made by the Franklin mint and sold on late night TV, these are generally a rip off. People pay so much, and sell them to the bullion dealers only for the melt value. And you can sometimes buy these kinds of so-called collectables at the coin shops very cheap at just over the spot price, or ten times cheaper than found on TV.

So, what kind of silver is best? It depends on your situation. I own and like the 100 oz. bars, and the 1000 oz. bars the best. But that's because I have a lot of silver. My friends and family typically like the 100 oz bars, 10 oz. bars, and 1 oz. rounds the best. For storing large amounts, the 1000 oz. bars are most convenient. The 100 oz. bars are troublesome in very large quantities--it takes much more work to move 200 of them than it takes to move 20 big ones. I also like the bags, but they may require counting with a coin counter which I have purchased, which takes more time. My kids like the one-ounce rounds the best. Most people find the 100 oz. bars fascinating to hold in one's hand, and the 1000 oz. bars are typically considered too heavy to lift.

How to Buy Silver & Gold, and Where to Get It!

Beware! Don't trade in your dollars (which are defaulted promises to pay silver or gold) for more promises of precious metal! What I mean is, we are clearly heading into another situation where delivery default is imminent!

The safest place to start buying precious metal is from your local dealer, which you can find in your local phone book -- look up "COIN DEALER".
Now you can search for a Coin Shop near you, online!

Search by name, by State, or by zip code!

If you take delivery in person when you pay, then you will avoid the risk of getting stiffed on a failed delivery. Start there, and start small. A dealer in your nearest metropolitan city may not have the best price, but you will get your silver if you walk out with it.

If you buy all that your local dealer has, then look to another, larger shop that might be a further drive away, and then you might consider one of the nation's largest dealers who are not at the COMEX. If you order on the internet, or from a dealer far away from home, you may wish to place several orders at once, with several dealers, to protect yourself from a failed delivery.

And when you take delivery, get a safe! And also a gun! And maybe dogs. And perhaps a security system and alarm, or more depending on your situation. You can always protect your silver. The typical cost is 1% per year.

I have multiple large gun safes, each the size of a large refrigerator. I store it in various places, in secure locations, on property not registered in my name. It's well hidden behind a series of 4 locked doors; armed security guards, along with security systems. They say you should be willing to spend up to 1% of the value of your silver, annually, on security. If you plan to hold silver for more than 10 years, you may be willing to spend more up front. I spent about 7% up front, and I spend about 1/2 of 1% annually. (I now have room to make silver my number one holding again, but I plan to buy more silver when the stocks get much, much more expensive.) Those who say they cannot afford security for their silver do not understand the concept of wealth, nor do they understand silver, nor security. If you actually have wealth, then by definition, you can afford to protect it. For example, if you have $5000 of silver, buy yourself a $50 lock box, or a $150 safe at Wal-Mart (maybe a floor safe), and maybe a dead bolt and solid core door for your closet. That would give you 4 locked doors, too: front door, closet door, floor safe door, safe door.
Where to Buy Bullion in Large Quantities: (Warning! Do not buy all your metal all at once! If you order via mail order or over the internet, only buy what you can afford to lose. Perhaps convert only a portion, say, 5-10% of your net worth at a time on any single deal.)

The following dealers generally have, or regularly keep, over 100,000 oz. silver bullion in inventory: These are generally not places to call for small retail orders. The dealers in this category may or may not have the best prices, but they do have bullion in large size.

Minimum order $5000 --also publishes bid/ask quotes
David W. Young
Wexford Capital Management
113 Brenton Court
Stephens City, VA 22655
Toll-Free: 877-855-9760

Warning: I strongly advice you avoid any storage program or any leverage program offered by anyone.

American Coin and Vault
5523 North Wall Street
Spokane, WA 99205
(509) 326-7512

If there are any silver bullion dealers who have at least 100,000 ounces worth of silver bullion in inventory on hand, please contact me j@silverstockreport.com

List of refiners
(refiners don't usually sell to the public)

European precious metal dealers:
You must be logged in to see this link. in Germany
You must be logged in to see this link. in UK
You must be logged in to see this link. in Switzerland
You must be logged in to see this link. in France

These guys publish BID/ASK or BUY/SELL prices:
**The following locations may not have bullion in large size

You must be logged in to see this link. Wexford deals direct with Johnson Matthey. A great source.

You must be logged in to see this link. Not much in size. Mostly small retail orders. Single 100 oz. bars sell several times each day. Be careful of fraud on ebay ; check dealer reputation, and what the dealer has sold in the past.

You must be logged in to see this link. --Like Ebay for bullion. They publish the bids and asks of various different sellers on a wide variety of bullion products. A mere 500 ounces of sivler was recently reported to have taken a month to deliver in March/April, 2008.

You must be logged in to see this link. --THE largest bullion dealer in the U.S.A. that will trade with the public. (That's not a refiner, or major bullion bank, or miner.) even though they recently ran out of silver in March/April, 2008.

You must be logged in to see this link. I continue to hear great things about APMEX, even though they recently ran out of silver in March/April, 2008.

You must be logged in to see this link. A favorite among bullion buying mavens, always low prices, but has higher minimums, (over $10,000). even though they recently ran out of silver in March/April, 2008.

California Numismatics (will accept small retail orders)
Richard Schwary & Kenny Edwards
1-800-225-7531

Miles Franklin Ltd.
1001 Twelve Oaks Center Drive Suite #1028
Wayzata, MN 55391
Phone: 1-800-822-8080
They believe their exclusive wholesaler is one of the top 5-6 wholesalers in size in N. America.

DTW Coins
located in Grand Rapids Michigan
Dan Wagner (616)-813-0290

You must be logged in to see this link. Owner: Richard Smith. Excellent Web site. Honest. LOW PRICES. Often the best sell prices nationwide [check his specials page]. Every pawn broker and jewelry dealer in Arizona is selling their bullion coins to Richard. Vast inventory and very knowledgeable. Call 602-242-2885.

You must be logged in to see this link. Bill Haynes at Certified Mint Inc. [CMI] is a world legend. A bullion insider. Honest. Fair prices. Excellent Web site: cmigs.com. His "Myths and Misunderstandings" article may be the most circulated piece on buying gold/silver ever posted. Tremendous inventory. Call 602-234-2300.

In Australia, New Zealand and Asia, there is "The Perth Mint". You must be logged in to see this link. I strongly advise against letting them hold your silver for you. I cannot warn about this danger enough. If someone is holding your silver, then you are holding the bag! You don't have silver if someone else has your silver! Instead, you have a promise, essentially, a promise is no better than paper money. Know the difference! Even they recently ran out of silver in March/April, 2008.

You must be logged in to see this link. --main page
I do NOT recommend the kitco "pool" accounts. This says nothing about kitco as a buisness or whether they are trustworthy. This is simply a philosophical position that I have, whereby I recommend that you take physical delivery, and not let anyone else hold your gold and silver for you.) Kitco has slightly higher prices than other dealers if you take delivery of your bullion.

Warning: Monex will offer to hold silver for you, or offer you leveraged accounts. I strongly advise against that.
Warning: NorthwestTerritorial Mint has very, very, long delivery times.
Warning: Goldline may want to sell you numismatics on leverage, on borrowed money and hold them for you, and they reportedly have long delivery times.

If you absolutely must have someone else hold your silver for you, there are four people I might trust. (And these people are NOT holding silver for me.)
Brink's, which is "only a storage company", not a bank.
You must be logged in to see this link. which can hold silver and gold in an IRA for you. Large brokerage houses also offer this service, but they have been known to not have the silver, which is "standard industry practice".

Remember, the only way to prevent from being defaulted on a delivery default, is to bring your cash, in person, to a dealer and take delivery in person, that same day.

The easiest way to buy Comex Silver is through a precious metals brokerage firm such as HSBC bank, or You must be logged in to see this link. that charges around 1% commission, plus delivery fees of about 2 - 3% depending on how far to ship. Or you could open a commodities trading account with any of the major brokerage houses who are most likely the bullion banks, and take delivery of your contract. There are several problems with this method.

First, is the most obvious. These are the paper contracts that are controlling and suppressing the price, that I believe must one day default. Second, the bullion banks, since they are the ones who are likely short silver, will try their hardest to talk you out of placing an order, or talk you out of taking delivery. I have actually had several bullion banks turn me down, and not open a commodities trading account for me when they heard I was going to take delivery of several futures contracts! Their hypocritical excuses are amazing! They will say on one hand that their commissions are too low, and thus, it's not worth their time to open the account for you. And then, they will turn around and also say that you don't want to order silver bullion because the commissions will kill you! Unbelievable hypocrites those shorts! They will also try to scare you with "assay fees" that will be assessed if you try to return 1000 oz. bars to the exchange! But they won't tell you what those fees may cost! I've heard the assay fee is FREE if you use Brinks in Los Angeles!
"places to buy physical retail silver & gold"
These sites list prices for 90% silver bullion coins.

You must be logged in to see this link. (Same people as above: wexford)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  21:43:06  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Redneck WOW what a post thank you!

The funny thing that jumos out at me which has been going through my head as I am studying about gold/silver is NOW i need a gun and you said it!

2nd thing you mention is buying silver from HSBC? They sell silver?

thank again!
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  21:58:55  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Very nice post redneck. Every Scotiabank sells "branded" and government silver and gold in Canada. Fees make sense for larger orders. Better to buy from local dealer for buys of a few hundred dollars.

I checked out HSBC and learned a few new things:

Precious Metals
The precious metals department of HSBC dates back to the founding of Samuel Montagu in 1853. HSBC was a founding member of the silver fixing in 1897 and the gold fixing in 1919. It is the only member of all the London daily fixings, which also include platinum and palladium. HSBC Bank USA N.A. is the key metals risk management arm of the HSBC Group, with branches in New York, Hong Kong and London and a subsidiary in Sydney. In addition to trading of these metals for spot value, it also provides clearing accounts and trade forwards and options 24 hours a day.

I will also add that Canadian Maple Leafs are even better then the American Silver Eagles (more pure, better looking, longer history) and if you can grab them close to spot you are very lucky.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog

Edited by - jadedragon on 07/27/2008 22:04:18
Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  22:09:21  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

I didn't write that, it was a copy and paste.(lol)

The way I type it would have taken me a month.

You will have to check on HSBC yourself.

I'm glad you found it useful.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  08:57:15  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Redneck i realized that you didnt once i clicked the link LOL thanks for all the info

legacypac Thanks for the HSBC info and

Edited by - n/a on 07/28/2008 08:57:47
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  12:16:50  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
if i am buying gold eagles does it matter what year?

Edited by - n/a on 07/28/2008 12:19:55
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  17:24:09  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Not really. Get the cheapest you can. Who cares about the year....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  18:58:59  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by russell

if i am buying gold eagles does it matter what year?

when I bought my first one...the dealer was very helpful, gave me a decent price, explained how the gold eagles have a face value and that if by any chance gold drops below $50 an oz, that I will always have $50.
My first question was, does year matter? he said because the design in the same every year it doesnt, unlike the platinum eagle.

I'm thinking I should get a buffalo or two next . I like the looks of them, and I have an art bar (silver) that looks just like it.

Edited by - moboman on 07/28/2008 19:00:17
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  19:53:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks guys! I did the deed. I did my first of many purchases!
I am in i bought
three 1/10 eagles at $104/per
i also bought a 1/4 eagle for $256

is that good bad or just right?

also i am still not sure what silver to buy? if i am just interested in having cash or equivilent in troubles times whats the best thing to do? buy american silver coins before 1964?

THANKS!!
Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  20:18:38  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

1/10 eagles at $104/per comes out to $1040.00 per.oz. $110.00 over spot (spot approx.$930.00)
1/4 eagles at $256/per comes out to $1024.00 per.oz $94.00 over spot.

Thats a 10% premium.That seems a little high ,but that would depend on where you purchased them from.

As far as silver goes you will get ten different answers,it all depends on what your trying to accomplish.Use the article I posted above as a guide.Silver and Gold in any combination is better than fiat...

Now go do the deed again...again...

>
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  20:39:50  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Let me say it in a different way i paid $93 plus 12% is that too high? in NY. where can i do better?

i will do the deed again and again LOL!

also anyone know if they confiscate silver? because if i do load up on gold and they do confiscate it then whats the point?

thanks!!!

Edited by - n/a on 07/28/2008 20:40:38
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  20:44:52  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Usually the bigger the gold coin the less premium per ounce you pay. But sometimes you can come across a deal. I bought a 1 oz eagle for $821 (came in a pretty PCGS holder) and 4 1/4 eagles of 810.

Ok, Ok.. that was a while ago when gold was more reasonable.. like $802 an ounce.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

51 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  20:48:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
so then i am not a total LOSER? LOL! what would you pay today and from where?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  20:50:07  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
was there tax on top of that? My state of Ohio charges sales tax on all bullion purchases, even gold/silver eagles, junk silver, etc, collector coins, anything, all because of the Noe scandal. Ohio had no sales tax before him.

I now buy primarily at shows and online in order to avoid paying sales tax...because 7% on top of even .25 over spot ruins just about any deal.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  21:05:10  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
In CA they charge tax if the purchase is under $1,000. Over $1000 it is considered an investment so is not taxed. The sate makes more than the dealer on the transaction. How is that for fairness? So you just have to buy at least $1000 worth at a time.

No russell, you didn't do that bad for your first purchase. I bought those last year, with proceeds from selling copper pennies. I bought a 1/10 eagle for $92 at a coin club auction last month. You will almost always have to pay some premium over spot. I am cheap and like to pay as little over spot as I can. Usually you can get your best deals at coin shows, where lots of folks are competing for your business. Sometimes you can get better deals on foreign gold bullion coins like Mexican or Austrian. There is always going to be a little more premium for American coins.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  21:22:46  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message
If you buy online in small quantities the handling fees will kill the tax offset.
Coin shows and pawn shops are good.Offer 1-2% over spot,they don't get spot price if they turn it in for melt,it costs them a couple % of spot plus a smelting fee, shipping, handling and insurance.Remember gold can fluctuate in some pretty big swings and they usually don't want to be holding a lot and risk getting stuck.Be persistent and it will pay off.

Here's a link for up to the minute spot prices;

<
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  21:37:30  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

In CA they charge tax if the purchase is under $1,000. Over $1000 it is considered an investment so is not taxed. The sate makes more than the dealer on the transaction. How is that for fairness? So you just have to buy at least $1000 worth at a time.

they dont offer that here.
Remember the government is in business to put you out of business.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2