Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Mexican coins and bullion
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  14:01:23  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
What are your thoughts about Mexican (silver) coins and bullion?

I like the Libertads, but they generally have too high a premium on ebay. Same for the Casa de Moneda one ouncers.

Some of the older coins made from 0.720 silver are kind of cool, and you can sometimes get them for a discount from spot. I also like that the purity is actually on the coin as part of the design. Many are large coins.

What about the 0.100 silver pesos? Kind of neat large coins, but don't seem to be worth the trouble to me.

What about recognizability? Barter ability when TSHTF? There are a lot of folks now in the US who come from Mexico and should recognize them.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts !

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  16:41:07  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
I think they're really cool and hey, silver is silver. I would load up if I could get them at a little bit of a discount (5-10% I would think is fair) compared to US silver coinage. I would not pay a premium. US silver coinage is probably the best and most easily transferrable form of silver, besides bars & ingots and rounds. Just my humble opinion. Any other thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  16:49:02  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I have a couple early 60's pesos. I have no idea what the silver content is, but they are silver.
I don't think I'd invest in them.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  18:45:45  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I have some ONZAS and an 8 Reale. I but them when I find a deal. I just happen to like Reales though.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  21:13:47  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
Beautiful coins, especially in higher grades (no wear on angel's breast). Premium shmemiums!
Demand is supporting higher prices at this time.
Go to Top of Page

copperpennies
Penny Pincher Member

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  21:16:45  Show Profile Send copperpennies a Private Message
(no wear on angel's breast)
lol
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  00:56:42  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Picked up my first 3 ONZAS at $17.99 each and $8.00 combined shipping. Interesting to add to my collection even if not a big steal to buy at melt plus reasonable shipping.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  15:29:54  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I have found around here the Mexican Liberties are sold as a ounce of silver. When I buy silver these are the first ones I pick up. I don't expect White Americans to know what they are, but there are enough Hispanic Americans around to make them more valuable that plain silver. Besides I think I can trust the Mexcian Government as well as the U.S Government.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  16:01:50  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
Excellent points, Cody8404. Also, with the seemingly inevitable Mexicanization of America, the Libertads could command even more respect in the future, especially as Mexican immigrants' incomes grow over time.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:55:17  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I really like the Libertads too. Gorgeous coins, and I'm confident in their barterability WTSHTF. (Yes, even here. Some of these street vendors should be working at the freaking UN.) Speaking of recognizable coins, has anyone looked into those Islamic dirhams being produced in Malaysia? There's a large Muslim community here who I might be able to use them with, but I don't know how widely known or reliable they are.

[/threadjack]

I'm not gone, I'm just lurking.
Go to Top of Page

Saul Mine
Penny Collector Member

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  19:13:28  Show Profile Send Saul Mine a Private Message
Silver is not necessarily silver. Anything less than pure sells at scrap price, which is less than melt value. Sterling is 92.5% and a smelter will pay 88% of that amount, so your resale value is 81.4%, minus whatever profit you want for handling the stuff. I deduct $2/oz from what the smelter will pay, and you can buy about as much as you want on Ebay for that price. It's hardly worth the gas to go hunting for it when it's available on Ebay. Of course, there have been periods of ten weeks or so when I couldn't score anything on Ebay, but at least I didn't waste any gas during that time!

A penny sorted is a penny earned!

Please use tinyurl.com to post links. Long links make posts hard to read.
Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  22:41:15  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Saul Mine

Silver is not necessarily silver. Anything less than pure sells at scrap price, which is less than melt value. Sterling is 92.5% and a smelter will pay 88% of that amount, so your resale value is 81.4%, minus whatever profit you want for handling the stuff. I deduct $2/oz from what the smelter will pay, and you can buy about as much as you want on Ebay for that price. It's hardly worth the gas to go hunting for it when it's available on Ebay. Of course, there have been periods of ten weeks or so when I couldn't score anything on Ebay, but at least I didn't waste any gas during that time!

Thanks for the info Saul Mine--for awhile I was trying to get some sterling on eBay -- I think according to your calculations I overpaid--but I only got silver from our silver pattern and gave it to my wife for presents (worked out great cause I had it stashed away and pulled it out when I needed a last minute emergency gift). Anyway, she liked it, and I still got it at under spot...but I will not be real aggressive in getting more, unless I can meet or beat the price in your formula...
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  16:57:29  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I had thought of the Islamic Coins as an option, possibly a need. Haven't seen any yet let alone a good place to get them.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2