Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Are all American 1943 nickels silver?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:27:51  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
As above. I pulled one out of a roll from downtown Toronto and it was the same colour as the usual CuNi. It has the large P mintmark, but has not tarnished like the other ones I have found.

I only found it because the roll was all US, so I looked through them for dates. When I found it I checked several times to make sure it was not 1948.

Not all who wander are lost.

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:34:16  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
If it has the special mint mark, it is silver. The mint mark was put there to make them easy to pull from circulation. If the nickel is in good, untarnished condition like you suggested, it is really, really hard to tell by color the difference from CuNi.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:54:19  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I think all 1943 are silver but not some of the 1942's when the switchover occured - but as horgad stated all nickels with the big mint mark are silver. I'd like to see one that is not tarnished - might have some collector value too??

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

swusc
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  18:31:45  Show Profile Send swusc a Private Message
It would have collectors value to it. Would you say it grades AU? I would guess $2 or so in AU. If you get into the MS then I have guess closer to $10.

-SWUSC

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' Will Rogers

"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard." Alan Greenspan, 1966.
Go to Top of Page

copperpennies
Penny Pincher Member

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  20:58:27  Show Profile Send copperpennies a Private Message
thats a rare find, finding a non-ugly war nickel.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2