Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Saving Jefferson nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  13:10:50  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
This may sound like heresy on this board, but how many of you just save plain rolls/boxes of Jefferson nickels?

A few months ago they were worth about 7 cents, now they are just over five....

But, no sorting (unless looking for war nicks) just buy and store. Still should be good barter coins if SHTF.

Thoughts?

What about your relative percentage of saving nickels and saving pennies?

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  17:41:38  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I have some. There are some who have quite a few I'm sure. I haven't bought any boxes for awhile though....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  18:43:01  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I have a few boxes, but not significant quantities. Most of mine are BU. I figure if you are going to save a few nickels they might as well be shiny ones.. that way you get the numismatic play as well.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  19:03:32  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I'm still buying boxes of nickels. In fact I bought a box of them today and over $1000 more over the past month. Since we started this site I have seen the melt value of a U.S. nickel bounce between about 100% and 200% several times. That doesn't concern me as it is only a matter of time before it will head back up. What does concern me is that soon we may have to start to sort through them too like the pennies.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  20:29:22  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I buy rolls sometimes but I just look for silver.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  23:11:49  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I have a few boxes, but not significant quantities. Most of mine are BU. I figure if you are going to save a few nickels they might as well be shiny ones.. that way you get the numismatic play as well.

Agreed on the numismatic play. I sort nickel boxes for silver, Westward Journey nickels, and anything 1959 and older. Then, I return the culls. For the last year or so I have averaged a box or two a month. Already, there are suprisingly few Westward Journey buffalo nickels in circulation. I think people like saving those.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  14:49:01  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kavajava

This may sound like heresy on this board, but how many of you just save plain rolls/boxes of Jefferson nickels?

I'm in Canada so my deal is a little different, but I buy every penny and nickel I can find at the banks. The ratio between pennies and nickels purchased is completely based on what I can buy. Nickels are harder to get then pennies in my experiance. I have to sort both and deposit the steel.

On the penny side I might decide to deposit the zinc too, but at this point the time required to roll up the zinc is not worth the money in my account yet. I am hoping to find a place to dump loose coin yet. I also figured out the Ryedale can seperate US vs Cdn Zinc, so I might just take all my US zinc across the line to exchange for halfs to sort - or bills to spend - and save myself some exchange rate costs.

For Nickels I keep all the Canadian Pure Nickel and CuNi, again seperated from each other. There is a current market for the pure nickel coins, and like Ardent Listener i figure that the market will develop for the CuNi ones. In Canada the Mint is already pulling CuNi for melting and I have boxes of CDI sorted rolls to prove it.

I also seperate and keep all the older Canadian war nickels and all pure nickels before 1965 for collectable value. That is a small stash so far, but I'm getting close to a complete collection of Canadian Nickels from 1939 onward pulled from circulation.

Finally I pull all the Jeffs out and store them in a seperate bin. Must be getting close to $200 face in Jeffs pulled from Canadian change. One day I'll take some time and build a complete collection from my bin of Jeff dates and varieties. Maybe save the Westward Journey coins seperate... but at this point there is zero market for cirulated recent date Jeffs including the WJ ones, and I'm not planning to spend them, so why bother sorting them a few at a time.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  15:50:20  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
Well, for a while i was buying them, sorting for anything interesting, then saving both piles...

Then i realized- yes, it's easy to hoard them, because they don't need to be sorted. The reason they don't need to be sorted is because the .gov hasn't even decided if or when a composition change will take place, never mind actually cranking out steel 5c's by the billion. So why tie up cash in them today when i can buy them tomorrow with cheaper money, and use the funds today to buy more pennies (which are sorely needed, since my percentages are among the worst on the board)

For SHTF purposes, i don't see them being a worthwhile hoard... not many people are going to have a nickel smelter in their backyard... that's pretty heavy-duty. i'd buy boxes of .22LR instead

So, i buy about $50 a week, keep anything that looks to be MS-64 or better, look futilely for war nickels, set aside '38-'61s, and set aside all of the 2005 buffaloes. Everything else goes into the coin counter with my zinc dumps.

The less-than-perfect buffs will also go back, but only after i get a bunch of them saved up and paint all the buffalo wangs bright red. Amusing yourself in a totally immature fashion: priceless

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?

Edited by - PennehChaos. on 06/27/2008 15:57:51
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  17:35:19  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I've been saving the buffs as well.Along with everyone else too I believe

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  23:30:59  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
I have several bricks of Jeffies stashed back.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  17:31:01  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
quote:
Agreed on the numismatic play. I sort nickel boxes for silver, Westward Journey nickels, and anything 1959 and older

Why just the 1959 and older nickels do you save?

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  19:36:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by daviscfad

quote:
Agreed on the numismatic play. I sort nickel boxes for silver, Westward Journey nickels, and anything 1959 and older

Why just the 1959 and older nickels do you save?

Possible future numismatic value I assume.
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  19:44:27  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
i guess I save all since they all have the same metal content

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  11:22:40  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I actually just convinced a guy at work to start putting $100 in nickels a week away.

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  19:34:13  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Just about the time I start to think that I have enough dam nickels you guys bring back the subject................

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  22:28:34  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

I actually just convinced a guy at work to start putting $100 in nickels a week away.

How did you do that? I'm hard core into hoarding nickels.(basically because I've been to lazy/busy to keep sorting pennies like I have beenn the past.)
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  23:08:47  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
I have a couple 100 dollars in jefferson nickels and i just boght a couple 100 dollars of the pure .99 canadian nickels

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2