Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Redbook prices on nickels increase over time?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  00:39:24  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Every now and then I picked up some nickels at the bank. I backed off it after realizing the likelihood of finding a war nickel in a $100 box is slim. So I stayed with the pennies for the wheats and copper yield. I have looked at Redbook prices for nickels and see certain years from 70s, 80s and 90s go for more than the bulk of years (basic price is $0.25 for MS-63). Instead of holding onto all the nickels from my rolls, I decided to cull the ones that had a MS-63 value higher than the basic $0.25 price. I figure that these guys would probably be more collectible, even in good condition and not mint, than the others from the rolls. Is it worth it to set aside nickels like this if the point is to collect some nickels at all? Years down the road, maybe the circulated specimens could go up in price over face? I do not want to hold on to $100 in just nickels when I can spend the money on pennies. Some nickels I am holding onto are '71,'82-P,'83-P,'92-P,'97-D . Seems like I have to draw a line somewhere on how to cull my quantity of nickels and this looks like a logical way to do it. I also hold onto any pre-1970s nickels automatically.

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  04:26:19  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I sort Canadian Nickels which means I also sort American Nickels that are mixed in. I've found 3 US Silver War Nickels out of an accumulated box worth of US Nickels from sorting Canadian boxes. Your results may and will vary. Kind of doubt I would buy and sort US Nickels just for the silver though, since I suspect that general ignorance of Silver War Nickels in Canada contributes to there being a higher percentage of silver in circulation here. For example I had never heard of a silver war nickel until I got into sorting coin this year, and I've always liked and watched coins. I'm guessing that the Nickel inventory in the US has been sorted over and over for Silver esp since the population knew the silver coins were introduced for a limited time only and they are prominantly marked.

Can't help on the values of various years - but will watch the thread because I'm wondering what to save out as well.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  14:53:01  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
Here's what i tend to look at:
You must be logged in to see this link.
i'm not sure why some 80s-90s coins are drawing a higher price, but as you can see, the '71P has a mintage of only 100mil, compared to an average of roughly 400mil for most recent years.

i'm not sure that i'd bother hoarding ALL pre-1970 nickels... i'd concentrate on the ones with less than 100mil mintage, and of those, only set aside examples that are F12 or better (gotta at least have pillars and some cheekbone). Exceptions would be the 50D, and any others under 10mil. And i wouldn't bother keeping a 1964 nickel unless it's AU or better.

After, say, 1971, i'd toss back anything that doesn't have decent hair and a well-defined roof triangle. Any mintage over, 25mil will never be worth much in only G4 condition unless you're planning to set them aside for several generations.

Personally, i'm also setting aside really strong MS coins from recent years, just on general principles... 20-30 years from now, they won't be nearly so easy to find, especially if there's a metal change. There's always a lot more demand for pretty coins than there is for ugly ones.

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?

Edited by - PennehChaos. on 06/13/2008 15:01:06
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  16:08:03  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Helpful hint:
leave the Red Book for the coin buyers
Buy a Blue Book, the kind the dealers use, and find out what a coin dealer will pay for nickels.

Nickels are right now the undervalued/overlooked coin in the world of coin collecting. Most only see them as five cents and nothing else.
However, if nickel and copper prices remain high or increase due to inflation, the nickel might get some respect that copper pennies are now recieving.

Nickels are a speculative play, hoarding nckels is betting on inflation to continue pushing up the prise of everything in the future, and considering how inflation has been effecting the price of everything for decades, betting on inflation is almost a sure thing.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  16:51:15  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I've done 4 boxes of nickels
Box 1 - 2 wars, 1 1920 buffalo with only the 20 intact, 1 AU 1940P
Box 2 - zip
Box 3 - 1 war
Box 4 - zip
Box 1 and 3 came from the same bank, a local small bank.
Also watch for 51-D nickels.

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  23:57:24  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
I like nickels because every one you get right now (US) is worth more than face. You do not have to sort, just stash. Downside is very limited, upside is there--especially when they change the composition to steel or something else. I have been saving nickels--really thought all the copper pennies were long gone from circulation--now that I have found this board I may have to re-think and consider pennies (that require sorting).
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  12:30:11  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kavajava

I have been saving nickels--really thought all the copper pennies were long gone from circulation--now that I have found this board I may have to re-think and consider pennies (that require sorting).

Not all gone yet - in spite of the best efforts of realcent board members!

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  01:18:18  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
How often is the blue book printed and how accurate is it to what dealers usually pay

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  17:33:24  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Blue book is an annual boook just like red book. Also it's just a guideline. A dealer with 7 50D nickels and no current buyer will pay less than a dealer with none and a buyer handy. Info based on what dealer advised me about selling coins to dealers. If you want good info, you can subscribe to a grey sheet which gives current dealer bids for specific coins.

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  13:49:06  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Anyone on here have greysheet passwords they want to share?

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  19:28:59  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
No passwords sorry. I do like to get the old grey sheet that my coin shop dealer is finished with. I find them helpful at auctions or when I am not sure of certain coins values. Gray sheet is the standard for most collectors here in western NY.
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  23:12:25  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
quote:
Anyone on here have greysheet passwords they want to share?

You can buy a previous issue for like 2 dollars or something online at there website

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2