Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 The more i look at it...
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  09:24:12  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
... the more i really dislike the new U.S. nickel design. Yet one more reason for Jefferson to roll over in his grave

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  13:28:29  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I've made my peace with it. The old head profiles looked great with yesteryear's higher relief, but they sure are ugly with today's lower relief. If the Mint insists on using low relief, the least they can do is pick designs that work better with low relief. It's no Saint-Gaudens, but it'll do.

I still like the 2005 "Tom's chin" obverse better.

I've wondered, after coming across the umpteenth modern nickel with its text worn illegible by countless minor scratches... I've seen many 90's-era nickels in worse shape than their 70's counterparts; those cumulative scratches are a bigger problem for low relief than for high relief. Is there a point when lowering the relief reduces the lifespan of a coin? Will illegible coins be pulled from circulation prematurely because it'll become impossible to read the coin's value on it?

I maintain that the best way to bring beauty back to US coins is to use high relief again... and bring back real sculptors to design coins, not committees.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  19:36:53  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lanispet

... the more i really dislike the new U.S. nickel design. Yet one more reason for Jefferson to roll over in his grave

You talking about me?

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  09:37:00  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
Heh... no, actually i was just going through my nickel stash to unload the heavily circulated ones, so i've been seeing that face a lot... i mean, he used to look like a Statesman. Now he looks like an affable doofus with a bowl-cut mullet.

i'm sure he'd be a lot more upset by what they've done to the country itself, but talk about adding insult to injury!

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2