Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Good service
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  14:48:07  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
A teller at a bank in Mississauga went through the loose change in his till, finding a few extra .999 Ni, and exchanged them for steel nickels from one of the rolls I picked up yesterday.

Not all who wander are lost.

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  17:27:52  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
It does happen sometimes. Remember those tellers and take care of them.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

nckt
Penny Collector Member

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  23:27:56  Show Profile Send nckt a Private Message
My teller is really nice, but he sorts and hoards him self :/
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  15:09:44  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Today I went in to one of my usual banks to get some nickels. The teller warned me that they had just received a large shipment of brand new nickels from the Mint, but looked and found 8 CWR of nickels. As I was about to leave she asked if I was interested in $1 coins. Apparently an old gentleman had just deposited a large number of the pre-loonie $1 "silver" (actually nickel) dollars. I had a look and bought 125. They are all 1968 - 1984, some commemoratives. They aren't worth much but I'm pretty sure they cost more than $1 if you went out and tried to buy them.

As I left the teller and one of the managers started to paw through the remaining ones, saying that I had inspired them to buy some as well.

One thing was funny. This was a TD branch, and the teller told me that they don't normally accept them, and that only the Royal Bank (RBC) takes them. So if I didn't buy them, they were going to have to deliver them to RBC. And it got me thinking--to the best of my knowledge, they are still legal tender. So why can't the bank accept them? (They did because the customer was old and there is no RBC nearby).

She said

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  20:51:03  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I bought sevel 1972 $1 on ebay (I hate to admit). You can't get them in circulation, so they do have a market. Interesting about RBC taking them in, but not TD... very odd. I suspect this is a policy thing - hard to deal with an "off size" coin. Just try asking for 50 cent pieces - I have a few times and no one claims to have seen them.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

mooski
Penny Sorter Member

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  06:15:46  Show Profile Send mooski a Private Message
The non-Loonie dollar coins have a numismatic value attatched to them? Hmmmm... I might be able to get a few of them...

-M

Sorting and hoarding in Seattle, WA
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  11:15:52  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Yes the value varies between $1.00 and ??? Lots. I don't know enough about them to really give advice or collect them, but like the 50 cent piece one bank sold me recently, I'm not going to turn down old currency for face.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2