Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 $1400 in nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  22:36:12  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
A woman has been bringing in her fathers coins to a local bank. At first, I was only getting the pennies. Yesterday, I picked up $1400 in bagged nickels. I do not have the capital to keep them all. Is their an easy way to look for war nickels?

What is the typical % of silver nickels? I have almost finished sorting the first bag and not found any.

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  23:41:58  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knibloe

What is the typical % of silver nickels? I have almost finished sorting the first bag and not found any.

That is the typical percentage.

Just look at the backs for the big mintmark.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  23:53:17  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knibloe

A woman has been bringing in her fathers coins to a local bank. At first, I was only getting the pennies. Yesterday, I picked up $1400 in bagged nickels.

Funny thing.. that's the exact same story my boss told her bank to explain why she is depositing bags and bags of nickels every week. .. After she has sorted them of course.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  10:28:29  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
Why is this lady allowed to bring her nickels back in bags?

Either she does it often or the bank really trusts here? And, why would her father have $1400 in nickels?

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  10:28:35  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
You may find this hard to believe but I pulled out a US war nickel from a roll up here in Canada. I could see the chocolate colour through the plastic wrapper, but as some of the cupronickel ones up here have rotted to that colour I wasn't sure it was a war nickel until I pulled it out. It was a 1943. It is the second one I have ever found.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  11:24:44  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moboman

Why is this lady allowed to bring her nickels back in bags?

Either she does it often or the bank really trusts here? And, why would her father have $1400 in nickels?

It's what you do if the bank really likes you. Very convenient.
Especially if you have a machine that counts 4000 coins per minute!

Maybe Dad was a hoarder. Maybe she is a sorter. After going through 14 boxes you will probably have a good idea which.

Go to Top of Page

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  20:39:19  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
I just date sort nickels. This week I got 80 dollars of nics and found 3 war nickels. My best percentage ever. It is not unusual to get skunked for silver when sorting nickels.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  22:35:47  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
The lady is not a sorter. If she is, she is lousy at it. The banks has a free counter. She deposits them and I buy the bags from the bank.

One bag of pennies that she brought in had over 40 steel cents and 200-300 other wheats. I haven't sorted the thing yet. I'm hoping for a 1909.
The other 3 bags of pennies that I bought yielded 58% copper.
The bag of dimes had 12 silvers in it
One bag of qtrs was a bust (probably not from her) the second had 7 silver quarters in it.
I was hoping that the nickels would yield, but they haven't yet.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  22:39:08  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
It is good that she is not a sorter. You might just get lucky. Nickels are usually a low percentage play though.

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  22:42:41  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
Probably won't buy more nickels. However, the dimes and qtrs were easy to sort and worth it. The vault teller is going to hold all future bags of pennies as well.

It is a sweet deal.

I gave my # to the teller and she passed it on, but I haven't heard form the woman.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2