Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Is this a sign of a faltering economy?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  22:05:26  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
I bought five rolls of nickels at a Canadian bank. Two of them were wrapped in wrappers from a trust company that disappeared about 20 years ago. Also, they were both labelled USA. Ok.

Later--I unwrap the USA ones first. They date from 1957 to 1985, nothing special, but all American. Then I open the other. There's a penny on top. I start cursing the customer who has cheated me out of a nickel. Then I dump out the coins and they're all US pennies! And to add insult to injury, they are practically all '83s and '84s! Stinkin' zincolns! Down at the bottom there were four wheats. I think I could normally get four wheats for less than $2.

I had already bought five more rolls of nickels from another bank, and ten more from a third branch. I started opening these. The second roll from the batch of ten was another roll of pennies. It had been in one of those multipurpose rolls that you have to pull tight, and some text lines up with two punched holes giving you the denomination and the total cost of the roll. Whoever had rolled it had rolled it loose, so that while it was full of pennies, the 5cent and $2 had lined up with the holes.

This had never even happened to me once before. It is bizarre that it happened twice in one day at two different banks. Are people getting so hard up for cash that they have to start putting these over on the banks? It just seems awfully petty.

Not all who wander are lost.

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  23:54:26  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
There are scammers out there. This is becoming more common. I got a quarter in a roll of new dollars. Best defense is to take your digital scale in with you and weigh the rolls on it as you buy each one.

I did get lucky the other day. I was pulling out my customer wrapped rolls of pennies from my bag getting ready to sort them. Two of the rolls appeared quite short. I thought Darn.. I got shorted on 2 rolls and I didn't even notice it when they rolled them across the counter to me. I opened them and both rolls were rolls of dimes. Guess they ran out of dime wrappers and wrapped them up in penny paper.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  00:26:39  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
wow. I got a roll tonight that was light, and was 2 short. It contained a dime and a steal penny!!! I think I can pay 4 cents for a dime and a steal penny!

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  01:00:51  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Only hoard would get a whole roll of dimes.
Waiting for you to pull a flying eagle soon
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  06:48:44  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I often find dollar coins in rolls of halves. However, just as often there is one missing from the roll. I believe that it works out in the end. It's the price of our hobby. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:42:08  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

This had never even happened to me once before. It is bizarre that it happened twice in one day at two different banks. Are people getting so hard up for cash that they have to start putting these over on the banks? It just seems awfully petty.

Do Canadian banks accept US coin? In the US banks don't generally take Canadian coin. Bills yes, coins no. So you sneakily spend the ones you get.

I bet somebody was cleaning out their US coin now that the exchange rate is unfavorable to the US $. Unfortunately you got stuck.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  15:20:25  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Historically, everybody has always accepted US cash. It is a legacy of the former high dollar. They might not accept paper money though, but nobody worries about coins. There was even a debate recently about whether we should refuse to accept US coins. My argument is that you can say what you like about the US economy, but at least they still use real coins.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  15:42:22  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

My argument is that you can say what you like about the US economy, but at least they still use real coins.

Some might argue with that. We are hoarding up all the "real coins" down here. Not sure if some of that stuff they make all the seinorage on would be considered "real coins." Heck, I even consider the zinc pennies "fake coins" since there is not a full cent worth of zinc in them.. regardless of what it costs the government to manufacture them.

Wish I lived further north so I could get more of your "Real nickels."

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 03/29/2008 15:43:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2