Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Nickels: for hyperinflation or hypderdeflation
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  13:22:51  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
CQC McDuck
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2008

Why holding nickels make sense in hyperinflation AND/OR hyperdeflation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've come to the conclusion that holding a decent stash of nickels is a worthwhile (and cheap!) way to prepare ones self for both a hyperinflation or a hyper-deflation scenario. This strategy/opinion was formed after reading this article from survivalblog.com that someone recently posted here on GIM.

Hyperinflation:
As the above article highlights, nickels are currently worth about a cent more than their face value. Thus in a hyper-inflationary situation it is totally reasonable to expect the government reissue clad coins as a cost cutting measure and for the current nickels to raise in value because of their metal content.

Someone holding $1000 in nickels would be better off than someone holding the equivalent in FRNs as the fore would always maintain an intrinsic value (nickel) and could potentially increase in value relative to inflated FRNs. ATM $1000 in FRNs converted to nickels is worth about $1350 in nickel content.

Hyper-deflation:
I've read numerous arguments on GIM about "cash being king" in a hyper-deflationary situation. While there may be some validity to that statement the fact remains that most here (me included) would think twice before stocking a safe with a couple of grand in "cash." That being said, I'm sure that most here would agree that spending silver and gold in the initial stages of such situation would also be suboptimal at best.

The best solution? Hold a couple of grand in nickels instead.

If cash is scarce, most people won't care what form it's in. Need food, but the grocery store only accepts "cash?" Grab several rolls of nickels and buy bread. Need money to make small purchases at the packed, shady, cash-only black market? 40 low profile, easily recognized, USD denominated transactions per roll. Get mugged going to either? Having $2 in nickels stolen is better than having $20 in silver or $200 in gold stolen. Moreover, the thugs would be less likely to follow you home.

Conclusion:
Anyway those are my thoughts about why I believe nickels are basically awesome and badass in a hyperinflationary and/or hyper-deflationary SHTF situation. I'm not saying that someone should ONLY hold nickels, but I believe that nickels certainly have significant "strategic value" in this game of financial musical chairs that we're all playing ATM.

Nickels also seem to be a viable way to 'park' paycheck money in our current pre-SHTF situation as it keeps it out of the banks but in a form that won't go to zero but is still liquid enough to be converted back to FRNs in contemporary crisis fairly quickly. It's also encourages thrift because most people will feel odd spending $2 rolled coin and are too lazy to go to the bank to get it converted back into FRNs for everyday frill purchases.

It should also be mentioned that I'm writing this after staying up late to watch the Formula 1 Malaysian GP and I'm currently suffering from insomnia, so sorry in advance if this post comes across as somewhat crazy! It made perfect sense when I thought of it at 4 a.m.!

Comments, opinions, and criticisms are welcome.

Posted on GIM You must be logged in to see this link.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  20:56:42  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I agree with you 100%. We all should have some cash on hand for emergencies. FRN's will depreciate over time, but nickels won't. They will always be worth their face value, and maybe more. If I had reserve cash in FRN's I might be tempted to spend them. However, I would feel odd spending a large number of nickles on something I don't realy need (and my wife certainly wouldn't). However, if I had no other money and needed to buy groceries, I wouldn't hesitate to break out a box of change and head to the store.
Go to Top of Page

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  00:01:13  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
Ardent Listener,
It seems like a good idea. By putting your available weekly savings into nickels you could actually win this way Yes the money is always there and I agree you would probably be more inclined not to spend it frivolously for things if you had to haul nickels every time. If you ever needed to liquidate I'm sure some bank would probably be glad to have you as a source for them.
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  21:28:52  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I was thinking about this today. I think more people do pennies because they look at the percentage gain (1 cent face value, coin has a melt value giving it a value of almost 250% over face) compared to nickels. However, if you look at the gain per coin, pennies yield 1.5 cents per coin, nickels 1.8 cents per coin (this would be if you sold each coin at spot price). Even though the percentage gain is less, the gain per coin is slightly higher with nickels. And hasnt nickel at one point seen prices at $25/lb or more? In the last 5 years, I dont think copper has gone much higher than it is today, while nickel had that explosive peak last year, so it seems to me that the potential upside on nickels is huge.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  00:52:53  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
Yep. I think it's a good idea to have a brick or two of nickels "just in case." The icing on the cake: Sorting is optional.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  09:07:40  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
It doen't sound crazy to me at all. I think it's a great idea. That's why I hoard them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2