Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 How Many Cents Do You Normally Order?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  16:22:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
hey everyone! i was just wondering how many cents you guys usually order from the banks. is there any limit they will order for you? what is your normal order amount?

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  16:37:57  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Coinlover

hey everyone! i was just wondering how many cents you guys usually order from the banks. is there any limit they will order for you? what is your normal order amount?

When I go to open an account, one of my 'test' questions are what is the limit on boxes can I purchase. From one I get 8 boxes and from the other two I get 6 boxes. I am going to talk to the two that get the 6 boxes to see if it would be better to get them all at once or continue to 2 each trip during the week. If you are looking for a lot of boxes, I would spread it out to a couple of branches or banks so it doesn't raise any red flags. I would not exceed 10 boxes if you are a new member. Also, as HCBTT says, a cart is handy for more than 4 boxes.
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  17:07:14  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I have a standing order for 2 boxes a week at my main branch. Occassionally I will order 5 or 6 from another branch if I know I have some spare time coming up on a weekend. Two a week is enough for me right now since I hand sort.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  17:14:45  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Epaphras

If you are looking for a lot of boxes, I would spread it out to a couple of branches or banks so it doesn't raise any red flags.

Elaborate upon what you mean by raising red flags. What red flags would be raised and why?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

Edited by - Nickelless on 03/26/2008 17:16:34
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  17:38:17  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
It can be difficult getting a lot of pennies without doing larger size orders. What he means is trying to stay under the radar. If you are trundling a cart out with 24 boxes on it twice a week as I used to do at one of my branches it is hard to go unnoticed by the bank manager. When he says he would like to have a little talk with you it is not usually because he wants to offer you a great deal on a low interest rate loan. It usually means that he has determined that you are having too much fun. He will discuss with you what he feels is an acceptable limit. Of course sometimes they say one thing, then the next time you come in they want to cut you down again. This is why you need to constantly develop new sources. Of course spreading your action across multiple banks and branches increases your chances of staying beneath the radar and also means if one of your banks cuts you off it will not hurt you as bad. The amount you order will vary from bank to bank and branch to branch. I have some that are good for 24, some at 12 some at 8 and even have 1 of them at 2 boxes per week. Every box adds to your stack. Usually you are lucky to get 1 or 2 boxes on a drive-by. So to get serious quantities you need to preorder. If ordering always pick up on the day you have promised. You don't want to miss a pickup or pretty soon you won't be able to get pennies there.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  17:39:24  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Red flags--Costing the bank more than they want (it costs them to purchase boxes)= putting a limit on how much you can order per week/month, telling you the "F" word ('fee'), or choosing not to bank with you altogether.
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  17:42:02  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
I only order from one bank, four boxes per week. Every so often I bring chocolate truffles for the teller who orders the coins for me. Nothing wrong with a treat once in a while -- random positive reinforcement is one of the most effective training techniques there is!

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  17:55:21  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
I walked in a bank today, that im not a member at. Its about half an hour from my house. I asked how many they could spare, she said 2 boxes. Then I was talking to the 2 tellers, telling them I was looking for wheaties. She was like, give me your name and phone number, and I'll order 4 boxes for you for the next time the brinks guy comes!! I walked out with 4 boxes, and she is ordering 4 for me next time!

It all really depends on the tellers, and managers. Some banks have been very friendly others have been very rude.

At another bank I got 12 boxes from driving by this past week (they over ordered). I opened an account there, and ordered a couple for next week.

At another bank the lady wasnt sure about letting me order boxes, but she increased her number of boxes to order and then sold them to me. I opened an account here too. She now said I could bring back 1 vault bag a week, if I wanted. (they can only handle 1)

At another bank, which I am not a member, the lady told me to come back monday, the brinks man beat me to the bank :(.

So it really depends on the tellers. If you are nice, they are normally nice back!

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  19:03:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I get 4 boxs a week, 2 at each bank
Go to Top of Page

WilliamC
Penny Collector Member

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  19:52:35  Show Profile Send WilliamC a Private Message
I've gotten 50 boxes a week two weeks in a row from my primary source bank.

I've been a member there for 7 or 8 years though.

This week I went easy on them and only ordered 24 boxes.

I'm very lucky in that so far I'm able to work with a single source bank and a single dump bank, but I will be looking to expand my options in case I get some resistance in the future.

Sorting In Northwest Mississippi
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  20:09:32  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I normally get 275 a week(11 boxes) from 3 diff banks.I get 8 boxes from near me and a buddy gets me 3 more and am going to bump him up to 4.
So 300 a week but still haven't taken a zincer back yet.
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  20:25:32  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I might have an OCD, but I order only in increments of $50's. The reason is because the unsorted boxes I stack by two's....See, OCD....Probably not the only one I have either.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  23:51:57  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
coinlover,
Everyone here has given great advise. Every bank is different. I might add from personal experience that I carry a notebook and I write down the banks I visit, the days I go, the tellers names, the managers name, Ask and note the day they order the day the delivery comes, what day do they send back( always dump zinc the day before). Some banks require accounts to order pennies, some
do not. Be kind to the tellers they can help you achieve your goal. Don't be surprised if you get turned down one day as banks do pay to order pennies and they usually will ask you to have an account.
Good Luck

Edited by - wheeler_dealer on 03/26/2008 23:55:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  16:16:16  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
thanks everyone for the tips!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly