Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Game ending for Canadian nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  14:12:03  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
I went to one of my most reliable banks today to buy nickels. The teller came back with a roll of 2008s. I sent her back to get some CRW, and after discussing with the manager, she came back with the 2008s and said that these were all they were allowed to give out.

Not all who wander are lost.

WilliamC
Penny Collector Member

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  14:16:52  Show Profile Send WilliamC a Private Message
I wonder how long it will be before the same happens here in the USA with pennies.

I don't want any 2008 pennies for a long, long time!

Sorting In Northwest Mississippi
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  14:55:34  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Sorry to hear that mickeyman. Time to switch to pennies before those are all gone too.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  16:03:16  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
WOw,what is it a new law or something?I know in the US if a bank gets a 500 or 1000 note they can't give them out.
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  16:21:53  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Mickeyman,

I suggest trying again and again....either they will give in or you'll get lucky(new or uninformed teller)....

Or you'll at least know you tried!

Often times persistence pays off.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  17:22:29  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Can you try another bank/financial institution.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  19:09:26  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

I went to one of my most reliable banks today to buy nickels. The teller came back with a roll of 2008s. I sent her back to get some CRW, and after discussing with the manager, she came back with the 2008s and said that these were all they were allowed to give out.

Sounds to me like maybe they want them for themselves.

"The key to building wealth is to not lose money." - Warren Buffet
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  20:01:45  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
I agree with CopperBar--I think someone in that branch wants them for themselves. My other reliable bank has temporarily run out--I went to get some there and they only had five rolls left. But at that branch at least they are still interested as long as they have some.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  13:24:22  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
If I come across mint rolls of new coins I like to keep them, I figure at some point they might be worth a premium. Nice if you ever want to put together sets to sell. I got a couple mint rolls of those bravery medal quarters from the bank once (my one experiment looking for ag quarters in the wild) and I figure why not hang on to them.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  21:05:49  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mickeyman

For the last couple of weeks, I have been experiencing the same problem. I walked to 5 different branches in Downtown Toronto today, and each time the same story.

Banks still seem to have plenty of pennies though, so that's what I had to resort to today. I prefer nickels, since they are easier to sort by hand. Half the sorting can be accomplished using a strong magnet.

Best of luck in your hoarding. I'm sure that persistence is the key here.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  23:30:58  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Is there really any point saving Mint wrapped clear rolls? I ended up with a few 2007, plus one whole Mint sealed box (unknown year!). Keep them, or send them out into the wild?

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2