Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Why Hoard Nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  16:14:36  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I don't understand why anyone would hoard nickels over pennies. Aren't nickels basically copper now anyway? Isn't there more upside potential in penny hoarding (1.5-3:1 vs. 6.5-7:5)? Wouldn't it be more expensive and/or difficult to unlock the alloy in a nickel? If I'm missing anything here, please feel free to set me straight, as I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

MormonMetal
Penny Pincher Member

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  16:40:36  Show Profile Send MormonMetal a Private Message
The only real plus on the side of nickels is the relative easy or hoard. No sorting involved in the States. That's the only plus I see. I, like many here, will keep all I get in change, and maybe pick up a few rolls from time to time. Otherwise, I'm a penny man. But for people with little time to sort, nickels are a good move away from fiat.
Go to Top of Page

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  18:19:27  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
You are right about the lack of profit potential in nickels. I do nickels to get out of fiat also. Article today on coinflation site talks about congress looking at law allowing treasury to change composition of metal in both pennies and nickels. This could change things quickly and it would be better to get in early. A steady drip fills the bucket.
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  22:12:58  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
I pick up $10 in nickels a week, not a lot. I'm not really thrilled with nickels, but nickel is four times the price of copper.

I don't even take the nickels out of the wrappers. This is how every sorting report would read: Went to the bank, picked up 5 rolls of CWN. Stacked them in the closet next to the other ones. W00t!

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  06:06:30  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ant

I pick up $10 in nickels a week, not a lot. I'm not really thrilled with nickels, but nickel is four times the price of copper.

I don't even take the nickels out of the wrappers. This is how every sorting report would read: Went to the bank, picked up 5 rolls of CWN. Stacked them in the closet next to the other ones. W00t!

That's about it until they come out with the steel nickels here in the states too. It might not be a bad idea to post buying reports since some members are starting to report that their banks are refusing to place nickel orders or provide them with a lot of nickels.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  07:41:43  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
I have done 3 boxes of nickels looking for silver war nickels and buffaloes, but may consider holding onto them in case congress makes the composition change. I dont plan to go large scale right now but have about $300 worth set aside. I have mixed feelings on the idea of hoarding alot, but if nickel spikes again then people will start hoarding these. I guess it's a good idea to get in early in case these things happen (especially since there are people mentioning having problems getting these).

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  08:08:54  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
As I stated in my first post I have access to couple of hundred dollars in nickels a week. I can afford to put fifty or more dollars a week away in nickels.

What would be the advantage of keeping the nickels as opposed to just taking that same fifty and buying silver every week?

I suppose there is the potential of silver going down in price and the nickel will always be a nickel.

Anything i'm not thinking of?
Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  14:31:58  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
I agree with others, that hoarding copper pennies is the better move. Unfortunately, time has been a factor for me lately and I've been mainly buying rolls of nickels. It makes me feel like I'm at least doing something.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  18:12:00  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Nothing wrong with hoarding nickels. I have a few boxes myself. The theoretical advantage is that you do not need to sort them. Of course there are those of us that just have to peek anyways. Nickels are more of a buy and hold play. Of course you could also do that with unsorted pennies.. nobody says you have to sort the pennies.. you could just buy them and store them. There will probably be a market for unsorted boxes at some point. On nickels if I am holding them just for their metal content I try to get BU nickels. The cost is the same and you also have the numismatic upside because there is always a market for boxes of BU nickels.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

192 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  00:32:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I buy and hold both nickels and pennies.

The nickels will very likely never be sorted.
Someday ... not anytime soon, I will turn in the nickels for their melt value.
My guess as to time scale is 10 or 15 years from now.

The pennies will in all likelihood be sorted someday.
I can see three possible scenarios:
1. I will sort them myself when doing so becomes clearly profitable.
2. Whoever I give them to will sort them, probably my daughter, but who knows?
3. I will pay someone to sort them.

The third scenario is interesting.

Let's say that the USA govMint or some official agency says,
"You have 90 days to redeem your pennies, after that, they will be worthless."
or some similar statement.

In that case, I would hire the cheapest labor available, perhaps the mexican guys who stand around in front of the lumber yard looking for an honest days work.
I would let them sort the pennies and pay them in zincs.

Imagine that the mexican guy craks open a box of unsorted pennies.
He finds 10% coppers and 90% zincs.

I don't think it is unrealistic that I could give him the zincs for his labor and then he would have to "spend" them within the 90 day window.

Is this scenario unrealistic?

If so why?

.....................................................................................................................

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
John Maynard Keynes,
English economist (1883 - 1946)

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  06:27:37  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
In 10 years it will be hard to find those illegals....I would keep pennies past the "redemption" date as long as the metal content is still worth more than $0.01. Then off to the scrap pile eventually. Besides, what do you think you could buy with a dollar, let alone a penny in 5-10 years? Not much....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  14:11:22  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
There is one other scenario for unsorted boxes. They could be sold "as is" to someone else that would do the sorting. There will be a market value for unsorted boxes once the copper runs out.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  21:05:06  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by me2

I'm hoarding illegals

In that case, I would hire the cheapest labor available, perhaps the mexican guys who stand around in front of the lumber yard looking for an honest days work.

I don't think it is unrealistic that I could give him the zincs for his labor and then he would have to "spend" them within the 90 day window.

If so why?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  21:06:25  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by me2

If so why?

Along with copper cents, I'm hoarding illegals

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  21:09:33  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I was going to too, but there is just not enough room for them.. and the storage costs would kill you.

Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  21:13:00  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
I would have to disagree, HCBTT, they are very industious, and willing to sleep ten to a room

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  22:22:05  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Oh, I forgot you could stack them like boxes of pennies. I will have to reconsider.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

192 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  23:59:13  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I did not intend to imply that I had any intention of exploiting another human being.

What I meant to say is that I would pay them for their labor, fair and sqware.

.....................................................................................................................

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.
John Maynard Keynes,
English economist (1883 - 1946)

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  01:23:54  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
We are just having a little fun Me2.

Now remember, none of you should exploit any bank tellers tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  21:06:14  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
My mom lives in a ski resort town. They get a lot of Canadians that come down to ski. A couple of months ago, I got $50 in nickles at the bank and sorted them. There was a fair % of canadian nickles and som eof the pre '81 variety. I did not feel it was worth doing again, but maybe I should not give up on the first try. I'll get a larger batch some day and post the %
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  13:08:22  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Pre 1964 Nickels on ebay you can sell 2x+ face value. I just started to pull those out. Not worth hoarding, but selling, yes =)
Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  08:22:46  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
I'm currently saving AU-BU nickels, as well as pre-1960's (I'm not quite sure why I picked that date). I am starting to like nickels a little more every day. I especially like some of newer designs (with the Buffalos being the best).
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  22:39:43  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I keep anything '59 or older. I currently just recycle the others to get more sorting material.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

starwarsgeek171
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  08:32:10  Show Profile Send starwarsgeek171 a Private Message
Smart thinking. It would just lock-up too much needed liquidity.
Go to Top of Page

PennehChaos.
Penny Collector Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  13:01:28  Show Profile Send PennehChaos. a Private Message
Is there any particular value to pre-'60 Jefferson nickels other than the war nickels? i understand that the '39D and '50D are the key dates for these, but are other dates worth saving/selling in average condition?

Considering Verizon Business service? Perhaps you'd like to consider a nice drain cleaner enema instead?
Go to Top of Page

Frugi
Administrator

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  22:14:05  Show Profile Send Frugi a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

I know this doesnt belong here, but i listed 627 nickels on a 24 hour auction. good Luck.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2